IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Too Early to Plant?

ColumbusPalm

Hi All,

I have some mature 7 gallon Sabal minor and Needle's that I am going to plant this year. After this weekend forecast looks like 60+ every day. Safe to plant or wait till the soil warms up a bit more?

Nate

Plant them, the chances of you getting any major freezes that will do damage to those palms at this point are going down drastically by the day.  Even at your location.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

Hi All,

I have some mature 7 gallon Sabal minor and Needle's that I am going to plant this year. After this weekend forecast looks like 60+ every day. Safe to plant or wait till the soil warms up a bit more?

Nate

Check your local almanac before you plant, but I would wait until its warm enough to plant vegetables as well.

• Upvote 1

do it in late april to all of may

• Like 2

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

I don't see the problem.  He's talking about Sabal Minors and needles.  The hardiest palms available.  My answer would be different if he were planting a Sabal Palmetto or Washingtonia.  The chances of major cold (below 5 degrees or so) injuring this palm at this point are virtually nil.  Who cares if the ground is still cool, it will warm up quickly., and when it does, they will take off  No harm will be done in planting the palm now.  I've planted palms in mid winter before, Dec or Jan, and it made no difference (granted there were no hard freezes like this year).  When it warmed up, they grew.   

Edited by NBTX11
  • Like 2

I looked up the record cold temperature for Columbus during the month of April and it's 17 degrees.  In other words, the all time record cold is not enough to injure these palms in Apr.  And since his good 10 day forecast takes him almost all the way to Apr, no reason he can't plant them.

2 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

I looked up the record cold temperature for Columbus during the month of April and it's 17 degrees.  In other words, the all time record cold is not enough to injure these palms in Apr.  And since his good 10 day forecast takes him almost all the way to Apr, no reason he can't plant them.

Our horticulture agent says that roots just kind of it there in cold soil.  He recommends planting palms in April/May in San Antonio.

https://www.gardenstylesanantonio.com/garden-tips-blog/the-7-best-palms-for-san-antonio/

If From greenhouse to outdoors, they are not hardened off to frost. I would be worried about needle palm spear pull. It’s not really that warm there right now to make them grow.

• Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 hour ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Our horticulture agent says that roots just kind of it there in cold soil.  He recommends planting palms in April/May in San Antonio.

https://www.gardenstylesanantonio.com/garden-tips-blog/the-7-best-palms-for-san-antonio/

Interesting list he has.  First on his list is Butia which, as you know, doesn't do really well on some of our soils.  His other palms listed are fine choices, but I'd include Sabal uresana (among other Sabals), Serenoa repens, Nannorrhops ritchiana, Chamaedorea microspadix and radicalis, mules and other hybrid palms, Copernicia alba and a few Braheas (armata, decumbens, etc.)

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

47 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Interesting list he has.  First on his list is Butia which, as you know, doesn't do really well on some of our soils.  His other palms listed are fine choices, but I'd include Sabal uresana (among other Sabals), Serenoa repens, Nannorrhops ritchiana, Chamaedorea microspadix and radicalis, mules and other hybrid palms, Copernicia alba and a few Braheas (armata, decumbens, etc.)

Its about what's being sold, not what will grow best. Big problem in the San Antonio metro area and probably everywhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Maybe so, but I personally have planted palms in mid winter and it made zero difference. They grew just fine. Personal experience. They also recommended Butia Capitata for San Antonio and everyone knows they languish in San Antonio soil big time.  

Edited by NBTX11

8 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

Maybe so, but I personally have planted palms in mid winter and it made zero difference. They grew just fine. Personal experience. They also recommended Butia Capitata for San Antonio and everyone knows they languish in San Antonio soil big time.  

Wonder what this guy's backyard looks like after the winter event.. nice collection

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

I figured its best to get them as early in the ground as possible to get them settled in before the next winter hits. If you do get hit by freezing temperatures (which seems very unlikely at this stage for your area), just protect them (shouldn't be hard, as they are small too).  As NBTX11 says, these are some of the hardiest palms on the planet.

On 3/17/2021 at 7:47 AM, ColumbusPalm said:

Hi All,

Nate

Having lived in Cincinnati for a few years -several years ago, i myself would give it a couple more weeks, even w/ palms as hardy as these.. Until temps are in the 70s, and no lows below 35 are are forecast.. Aside from early sod installations and post- winter clean ups, landscape place i worked for during the spring-fall for a a couple years didn't start planting trees, etc, until about the second half of April/early May.  Still remember it snowing on Easter one year. :blink:

• Like 2