Jump to content
sipalms

Palms and Volcanos

Recommended Posts

sipalms

Post your palms and volcano pics! Active, dormant or extinct. Extra points given if erupting!

I'll start off with this cute little Nikau with Mt Taranaki in the background.

196379205_20210317_1103002.thumb.jpg.f1bd75c9d8deebadf02af5fcb586731a.jpg

Edited by sipalms
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greysrigging

I was stranded in Bali when Mt Agungn erupted in 2017
 

FB_IMG_1511667410595.jpg

FB_IMG_1511667419951.jpg

FB_IMG_1511667423919.jpg

FB_IMG_1511667428698.jpg

  • Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greysrigging

A few days before the eruption.

 

20615981_1999314256752000_9048806470897443993_o.jpg

26910876_1999314213418671_8839625895891357508_o.jpg

26952534_1999313960085363_1618649393414008559_o.jpg

26961786_1999314420085317_2075701092446719893_o.jpg

26962121_1999314000085359_1558897908208643386_o.jpg

27021955_1999314536751972_5517295729490199030_o.jpg

27173607_1999310496752376_3434000047535293124_o.jpg

27173772_1999314083418684_8984115305671275534_o.jpg

26992402_1999322400084519_4469461093891662664_n.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmfarmer

Wow thats very beatiful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sipalms

Robustas... But no 'ruptions...

PSX_20210317_180928.jpg.91705471b21748882f925c2f06f41287.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Butch
14 hours ago, greysrigging said:

A few days before the eruption.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

26992402_1999322400084519_4469461093891662664_n.jpg

Whoa!... That is a fantastic picture..

Butch

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir

Cocos & Bulkang Mayon:

78D08-0509.thumb.jpg.22947f4a5882fbe9d4e75f97e9e9b0d9.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
realarch

Dramatic photos Doug! That’s a holiday you’ll never forget.

Tim

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt in OC

A few from lava pools that I don’t believe exists anymore, unfortunately. D3206916-BCE8-49A8-B5BE-17C1BB97365C.thumb.jpeg.80dfbe32da4c45574b5f62fb17459ab7.jpeg7A22F319-FBCB-4BC1-B1C3-6DAA1CE87024.thumb.jpeg.c7d8e542a16409cc51e40fd0c909c373.jpeg

And an obligatory crater shot! 0FB5AA92-6021-4EC6-8832-C8D339F02F85.thumb.jpeg.ae1e581bdc809d797fb751b274085609.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz

Not in the same shot, but in the same area. Volcán Izalco, and some understory plants including a pretty chamaedorea and acrocomia  aculeata 20171128_135758.thumb.jpg.b5bdb780280c23273c1d3e83f2421b9a.jpg

20171128_141421.thumb.jpg.4eda91bd4b5d50587adaf4e48a50c4ab.jpg

20171128_102727-1.thumb.jpg.119784f5067da70953b3fbff834d55ab.jpg

20171130_090424.thumb.jpg.3e82e2e73c71ca08f8aedc5881e43461.jpg

20200101_210650-1.thumb.jpg.33cbcb4c0e9f5ffc09c51ab24afd094f.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Really full garden

My neighbor happens to be the most active volcano in Central America. It has been active for the entire time I have lived in Guatemala. I am 15 kms from the crater . Three years ago we had a violent and deadly piroclastic explosion 300-500 people were instantly killed. The flow made it to less than three kms from my house.

Despite the risks, I love my garden and grow 100+ palm species in my cool highland garden.

The night photo was taken from my garage.

3C8357FA-6D57-46FA-86E5-6B82D73DC212.jpeg

F8B937E1-E656-402C-9652-DA85258CE38A.jpeg

AECCDFC2-47E9-4246-B29E-39658E1FE1B2.jpeg

200FCC23-6DA1-4C81-BE92-0196A7E4629C.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frond-friend42

I once climbed Izalco. All loose scree near the top. Good times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tyrone

As Australia is the most volcanically inert continent you won’t see any pictures of palms and active volcanoes from here, and certainly my area which has some of the oldest most infertile soils in the world. The east coast has ancient volcanoes and much better soil fertility too.

Although I would freak living near an active and angry Guatemalan volcano, I bet the soil is just amazing. Heaps of trace elements and nutrition. There’s gotta be an upside to living near a volcano. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Really full garden
58 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

As Australia is the most volcanically inert continent you won’t see any pictures of palms and active volcanoes from here, and certainly my area which has some of the oldest most infertile soils in the world. The east coast has ancient volcanoes and much better soil fertility too.

Although I would freak living near an active and angry Guatemalan volcano, I bet the soil is just amazing. Heaps of trace elements and nutrition. There’s gotta be an upside to living near a volcano. 

This is true. My soil is rich black volcanic soil . Guatemala has some of the deepest layers of top soil in the world. It is strange that I can get 6-7 inches of rain night after night and my soil is never soggy/muddy . It is moist without being wet! 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz
10 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

I once climbed Izalco. All loose scree near the top. Good times.

I wanted to climb Izalco! We got to the trailhead late and missed the guides (I'm used to free and open wilderness being from California, but I understand why any hikes in El Salvador must be done with guides.) So we climbed Illamatepec instead. The terrain changed pretty drastically with elevation - cloudforest vegetation down below (dahlia imperialis, montanoa, monstera adansonii, bromeliads, orchids, chamaedorea...) and tons of a really pretty agave (possibly seemaniana) near the top as the vegetation gave way to open, rocky terrain. 

13 hours ago, Really full garden said:

My neighbor happens to be the most active volcano in Central America. It has been active for the entire time I have lived in Guatemala. I am 15 kms from the crater . Three years ago we had a violent and deadly piroclastic explosion 300-500 people were instantly killed. The flow made it to less than three kms from my house.

Despite the risks, I love my garden and grow 100+ palm species in my cool highland garden.

The night photo was taken from my garage.

3C8357FA-6D57-46FA-86E5-6B82D73DC212.jpeg

F8B937E1-E656-402C-9652-DA85258CE38A.jpeg

AECCDFC2-47E9-4246-B29E-39658E1FE1B2.jpeg

200FCC23-6DA1-4C81-BE92-0196A7E4629C.jpeg

Is this the same volcano that rises over Antigua? I remember seeing plumes of smoke from that one when I was in Guatemala years ago.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Really full garden

Yes, it is not the closest but the most obvious 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...