IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bizmark palm starting its new life after experiencing a horrible event

Jtee

I bought this palm in Beaumont TX from a nursery. The owner said it had experienced 6 degrees and was left outside. I paid $50 for a 10 gallon. It had fried fronds but showed signs of life. I was hoping it wouldn’t die but I knew it was a gamble with this palm. 
I had marked it a few days ago with blue marker to see if it moves and it appears the middle frond has slightly grown. I planted it in its new home here in zone 8b south Alabama. 

92781B60-552F-44C7-A8B5-4E064AF84801.jpeg

B67A32A4-4F0E-4684-AECD-D2AA238584F0.jpeg

339ACF18-8A2C-4C28-ABA8-5293965FB599.jpeg

9C6D1A8B-4E53-425F-ADFB-51E31DA376CA.jpeg

E2453581-D1B3-4F58-BF10-76A92B9788D7.jpeg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jtee said:

I bought this palm in Beaumont TX from a nursery. The owner said it had experienced 6 degrees and was left outside. I paid $50 for a 10 gallon. It had fried fronds but showed signs of life. I was hoping it wouldn’t die but I knew it was a gamble with this palm. 
I had marked it a few days ago with blue marker to see if it moves and it appears the middle frond has slightly grown. I planted it in its new home here in zone 8b south Alabama. 

92781B60-552F-44C7-A8B5-4E064AF84801.jpeg

B67A32A4-4F0E-4684-AECD-D2AA238584F0.jpeg

339ACF18-8A2C-4C28-ABA8-5293965FB599.jpeg

9C6D1A8B-4E53-425F-ADFB-51E31DA376CA.jpeg

E2453581-D1B3-4F58-BF10-76A92B9788D7.jpeg

Honestly it looks amazingly healthy for experiencing 6 degrees. Good luck on your Bismarck growing. I'm growing one here in Southeast central Texas warm 8b. We experienced 5 degrees here, but luckily my Bizzie wasn't planted. 

Sorry, but The chances those went through 6F looking that good unprotected is Zero. 

Lows there were mid-teens, and by the looks of them, they likely had frost cloth over them. Beaumont also didn’t have a long freeze. 

You did get a good deal! Lowe’s last fall had them for More $$. I have 2. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

7 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Sorry, but The chances those went through 6F looking that good unprotected is Zero. 

Lows there were mid-teens, and by the looks of them, they likely had frost cloth over them. Beaumont also didn’t have a long freeze. 

Does Lowe's usually stock them in the fall? Just wondering.

12 minutes ago, Teegurr said:

Does Lowe's usually stock them in the fall? Just wondering.

Lowes in League City has them now.  I swapped out one of my dead ones already that I had bought last year.

• Like 1

I have one here in Houston of similar size that’s probably made it. I think it only survived because I planted it low so it had dirt coming up the trunk aways. I also surrounded it by 5 gallon buckets of water and wrapped it in frost cloth.

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

Now that you mention it I think the lady at the nursery had said 16 degrees. I’m sure it did have a frost cloth but she didn’t say that. She said there was even snow in the pots. I’m hoping it hardened it a bit. The palm was kinda loose in the pots and the trunk felt hollow and crispy but surprisingly it’s doing ok. 

how much are they at Lowe’s and what size?

1 hour ago, Jtee said:

Now that you mention it I think the lady at the nursery had said 16 degrees. I’m sure it did have a frost cloth but she didn’t say that. She said there was even snow in the pots. I’m hoping it hardened it a bit. The palm was kinda loose in the pots and the trunk felt hollow and crispy but surprisingly it’s doing ok. 

how much are they at Lowe’s and what size?

They only shipped them to zone 9s in Houston if I am correct. But I recall last year 7 gallon for $59 and 10 gallon $99, but don’t quote me on it. I saw them on their website. They shipped Central Texas Mules this year again, but did not see them listed in Houston.

I am too disappointed to buy any common marginal palms. Even Mules. Those that I hadn’t planted that were in garage are the exception. They will keep my yard interesting.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

@Collectorpalms so what do you think the cold hardiness is of the bismarkia?

Ive seen it listed as hardy down to 10a, 9b from another source and even down to 9a from yet another source.

17 minutes ago, floridaPalmMan said:

Ive seen it listed as hardy down to 10a, 9b from another source and even down to 9a from yet another source.

Everything out of Texas seems to guide me to say middle of zone 9a for Florida. Florida freezes are fleeting compared to Texas. In Texas, I would say zone 9b, plus Houston as the freezes are less severe in Houston compared to further inland San Antonio's zone 9a.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, floridaPalmMan said:

I would say zone 9b and also the former 9a areas that are still 9a. ....It's complicated because I'm in a hardiness zone that was moved from 8b to 9a with the new map.  I would not consider it hardy where I live.   Houston is more or less 9b anyway....

Houston was 9a prior to the map change and I would consider it hardy there. 

I personally would not plant something of high value if it was not hardy to 8b
Of course, I have zone 9 plants, but they're "extras"

Edited by PricklyPearSATC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1