IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos nucifera (Coconut) in Malta

Maltese coconut project

This is my personal experiment of germinating and growing Cocos nucifera in Malta and succeeding in most of them surviving in winter by positioning them in South facing sunny area

• Like 5

Good luck with your experiment! The climate should be close to being able to support them. Do you know if any coconuts have been grown successfully in Malta before?  

• Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Just now, RedRabbit said:

Good luck with your experiment! The climate should be close to being able to support them. Do you know if any coconuts have been grown successfully in Malta before?  

No no one succeeded. I am the first one on the island. And now our winter is soon finishing 

IMG_20210312_210922.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Well done.  Yes Coconuts here need to be grown against a south facing wall ideally & out of cold winds. There were a few in pots outside a cafe on the seafront in Bugibba that survived the winter a couple of years back, but because of their exposed position they looked very tatty & wind burnt. I had a close look at them & they did have firm green spears, but unfortunately the cafe owner got rid of them before they could recover. These were however the stretched, force grown ones that you buy at LIDL, to have the best chance at succeeding with them you need to grow one yourself, like you have done.

• Like 1

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

6 minutes ago, SouthSeaNate said:

Well done.  Yes Coconuts here need to be grown against a south facing wall ideally & out of cold winds. There were a few in pots outside a cafe on the seafront in Bugibba that survived the winter a couple of years back, but because of their exposed position they looked very tatty & wind burnt. I had a close look at them & they did have firm green spears, but unfortunately the cafe owner got rid of them before they could recover. These were however the stretched, force grown ones that you buy at LIDL, to have the best chance at succeeding with them you need to grow one yourself, like you have done.

I wasn't aware of Cocos nucifera temporarily in Bugibba. But yes those grown in Dutch greenhouses are weak and show signs of Etoilation. One has to grow a quantity themselves, then use a Darwanian approach just like I did to see who survives winter 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Some update (photos taken 30th April 2021) 

IMG_20210430_105919.jpg

IMG_20210430_105831.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...

Transferring coconut in North facing area for the warm months since sun temperatures were exceeding 31 degrees celcius. Now they receive early morning and late evening more delicate sun 

IMG_20210603_091839.jpg

IMG_20210603_091822.jpg

IMG_20210603_091935.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Experimenting with some Lidl purchased ready germinated husked coconuts along with my own germinated ones. Temperature is perfect nearing 29 degrees celcius in the shade 

IMG_20210612_141126.jpg

IMG_20210612_141215.jpg

IMG_20210612_141225.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great work! Kudos to you and your project.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks my friend.  I will post updates from time to time and anyone can ask for hints 

• Upvote 1

@Maltese coconut project You've definitely put in the effort to make it work!  Hope you can get them to the point where a few are actively reproducing there!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I had not seen that you had opened a discussion of yours ... perfect I follow this and we keep up to date here!

what minimum temperatures have these plants seen?

ciao cara ecco il mio cocco ligure che ormai da un mese e mezzo si gode l'estate all'aperto...cosa mi consigliate come fertilizzante liquido? usi liquido o granulare

20210711_073931.jpg

20210711_073914.jpg

20210711_073904.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the three big thick ones minimum around 10 degrees celcius at night and some occasional 14 degrees celcius during cloudy January day 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Io usero tutti I due. Pero il liquido soltanto 1/5 potenza e diluito pero ogni 5 giorni. Diluito ma frequente. Usero anche micronutrients aparte NPK 22 12 12 usero.  I micronutrients consiste Boron, Magnesium, Manganese, Copper, Zinc, Iron, Molybdenum e altre 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

yes I also took a liquid with a lot of nitrogen and micro elements ... I gave the granular nitroposka I don't know if it exists in mortar, it is blue or red ... now I have put a young coconut in a concrete pot together with a basjoo banana that will stay out this winter .... in alassio rental! it will be a little experiment to understand how long a young coconut lasts in our winter ...

20210713_093541.jpg

@Stelios hello dear friend stelios I have tagged you in this tread thinking you might be interested in these experiments ... since you too have a European Mediterranean coconut ...

I use Midotech gold (slow release red granules ) and the Dutch agrial blue granules (slow release too) reason being that combined they have most important micronutrients 

• Upvote 2

Then in the warm months I use fast release 22 12 12 NPK mineral soluble and Agrilon microcombi for micronutrients. I prefer a dilute 1/5 every 5 days instead. Frequent but dilute 

• Upvote 2

How can we get more people into this discussion? Possibly people who live in borderline climates? Thanks everyone 

• Upvote 1

Cocos nucifera and temperatures

To be taken as a single testimony, I have not documented the previous ones, with all its uncertainties and inaccuracies and without wanting to draw conclusions.
“Supermarket” plant in an open position in Palermo, Sicily, Italy.

First panoramic photo, from left to right:
photo 1) November 8, in vegetation, average of the minimum of the previous week: 13.6 ° C
photo 2) November 28, growth stops, shiny leaves, some rare spots, average of the previous week's lows: 12.8 ° C
photo 3) December 5th, shiny leaves, widespread spots, average of the previous week's lows: 12.9 ° C

Second panoramic photo, from left to right:
photo 1) December 12, opaque, discolored leaves, shriveled apexes, average of the previous week's lows: 11.2 ° C
photo 2) December 30, lamina entirely wrinkled, average of the previous week's lows: 10.9 ° C
photo 3) January 8, no comments required, average of the previous week's lows: 11.1 ° C

cn00.jpg.9053b300d67454499ef7c6a04ee85dac.jpg

cn11.jpg.22a98911f5bcda834146c552488f1f5b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

Ciao pietro ... sì  purtroppo penso che. A palermo mancano le temperature massime che ha malta...

Poi le piante del progetto maltese sono sicuramente più   abituate e forti...

2 hours ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Come possiamo coinvolgere più persone in questa discussione? Forse persone che vivono in climi limite? Grazie a tutti 

we tag more people. ...

Come e la temperatura massima al sole in palerm nel inverno? 

9 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

@Stelios hello dear friend stelios I have tagged you in this tread thinking you might be interested in these experiments ... since you too have a European Mediterranean coconut ...

Hi Alessandro. Generally here in the Mediterranean sea is very difficult to grow a coconut. The best chances are Tel Aviv and more south maybe Cairo in Egypt. Here in Cyprus or other similar areas maybe in the best microclimate it could survive but might not look its best. My palm after about 12 years (9 in the ground) only the last 3 winters doesn't get any protection and now in the summer is recovering from leaf damage. The last winter was not very rainy but it still has damage from the previous 2 rainy winters. Is very slow growing here. Maybe I should fertilize sometimes. I don't know until when it will survive but when it will die I might try a green tall variety when I will find one, to see if it has a bit more hardiness.

Even though I love coconut palms like many of us here, I would prefer to put my efforts in more easy growing palms. I don't underestimate any palm and I already feel lucky that I can grow many varieties like royals, bismarckias, kentiopsis, archontophoenix and others. Unfortunately there is not a very big variety at the nurseries here in Cyprus. For the coconut look there is also beccariophoenix alfredii but like other varieties, I have to grow it from seeds since is not available here. Kentia is one of my favorite palm with some cocos look.

Here is my palm today.

20210715_055834.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Come e la temperatura massima al sole a palerm nel inverno? 

Non superano in gennaio i 15 gradi... ma ci sono giorni che arrivano anche a 20/21 ma raramente...

9 hours ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Come e la temperatura massima al sole in palerm nel inverno? 

Hello,
the day and night temperature of a place also strongly depends on the surrounding conditions. In your terrace, the temperature is maximum at the corner and decreases towards the sides and will always be much higher than any unprotected point in a garden even a short distance away. The survival of the coconut does not depend on the maximum temperatures, but on the minimums that are reached in the meristem, as its temperature decreases, the reproduction speed of the cells also decreases and consequently the probability of pathogenic attacks increases. Around 11  °C the reproduction of cells stops and this is the beginning of the end. Ultimately it is quite simple to predict whether a coconut can survive or not, unless you encounter a genetically modified one.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

Palms are heavy feeders.  Fertilising really helps them. In summer I am using fast acting fertiliser.. I dilute it only at 1/5 strength but apply it once every 5 days in the warm months. For the cooler months I only use slow release fertiliser then 

I wish to ask one more thing. What is your most common humidity level and monthly night time temperature?  Do you live in the inner part of Cyprus or fairly near coastal areas? 

Very true. They like narrower ranges in temperature between day and night and surely dislike any temperatures in the one digit degrees celcius. But also depends on the size of the palm. Smaller seedlings are weaker. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Maltese coconut project said:

Hello @Stelios... yes you are right there are many beautiful varieties for coastal Mediterranean climates ... but you know coconut is an exceptional palm for me, the queen of palms, with the challenge of making it grow where it shouldn't grow .. . I am growing the beccariophoenix alfredii, but it is really slow to grow .... here is a photo ... your coconut however is always beautiful and I hope it continues to grow for years ... and yes, you should fertilize that palm that sure changes its appearance for the better ....

20210715_192240.jpg

• Upvote 1