IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help Kentia Howea not doing well (Overwatered? Underwatered?)

leiling.ng@outlook.com

Hi all,

I have made a post a while ago regarding worries that plague me about my Kentia palm. The lower branches started drying up and died earlier this year, which, to my relief, many of you viewed as normal plant behavior.

However, now the more "healthy looking" spears are replicating this behavior. This time, they start drying up at the tip - I've read somewhere that this is a sign of overwatering. But I always make sure to leave enough time (around 10 days) in the watering cycle. 

Also, the spears are starting to become "too heavy" for the soil and the whole plant is drooping. Not sure if I am overreacting here. But as you will see in the pictures, the roots of the plant are starting to "come out" or at least weaken?

Please can you help me find a solution or let me know if I am overreacting :(? 

Thanks everyone,

Ling 

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-15 at 20.23.56.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-15 at 20.23.55 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-15 at 20.23.55.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-15 at 20.23.57.jpeg

Kentia palms like having their roots fairly constricted but it looks as though the palm is becoming a bit too top heavy for the pot it is in.  The fronds and leaves are naturally expansive on Kentias and if there is not enough support from the base then gravity will cause this to happen.

The palm, apart from the blemishes you have shown, actually looks in reasonably good condition and not too much wrong with it. - as least from what I can see.  There doesn't seen anything wrong with the watering schedule at face value either. Its hard to see the soil in the pot, due to the smallness of the pot and its retaining container. However from my experience of keeping these, they do actually appreciate being potted on a size every now and then with some fresh soil/compost which will give it a bit of a boost. This would also be a suitable time to apply a bit of a feed to the palm.  This, especially so as Spring has arrived and the longer daylengths will start to stimulate more growth. 

So it could be that it is simply a bit 'tired' after a long winter when light levels are poorest and it might simply need a bit of a Spring boost with a bit of fresh soil in a slightly bigger pot which will help redress the top heavy imbalance.

Also, while its too soon yet, when the weather properly warms up (more so the night-times) the palm will really appreciate being put under a canopy outside, keeping the direct sun off it which would cause leaf burn..  That is, of course if you have the outside space and means to do this.  The natural light and outdoor warmth will stimulate growth more than the artificial environment that the palm spends most of the year within.

These suggestions have kept my own kentia happy - and seen some considerable growth most especially during the summer when it has spent up to 3 months outside under an overhead canopy, out of direct sun, but access to being placed in its pot to receive summer rains.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 3/16/2021 at 6:35 PM, petiole10 said:

Kentia palms like having their roots fairly constricted but it looks as though the palm is becoming a bit too top heavy for the pot it is in.  The fronds and leaves are naturally expansive on Kentias and if there is not enough support from the base then gravity will cause this to happen.

The palm, apart from the blemishes you have shown, actually looks in reasonably good condition and not too much wrong with it. - as least from what I can see.  There doesn't seen anything wrong with the watering schedule at face value either. Its hard to see the soil in the pot, due to the smallness of the pot and its retaining container. However from my experience of keeping these, they do actually appreciate being potted on a size every now and then with some fresh soil/compost which will give it a bit of a boost. This would also be a suitable time to apply a bit of a feed to the palm.  This, especially so as Spring has arrived and the longer daylengths will start to stimulate more growth. 

So it could be that it is simply a bit 'tired' after a long winter when light levels are poorest and it might simply need a bit of a Spring boost with a bit of fresh soil in a slightly bigger pot which will help redress the top heavy imbalance.

Also, while its too soon yet, when the weather properly warms up (more so the night-times) the palm will really appreciate being put under a canopy outside, keeping the direct sun off it which would cause leaf burn..  That is, of course if you have the outside space and means to do this.  The natural light and outdoor warmth will stimulate growth more than the artificial environment that the palm spends most of the year within.

These suggestions have kept my own kentia happy - and seen some considerable growth most especially during the summer when it has spent up to 3 months outside under an overhead canopy, out of direct sun, but access to being placed in its pot to receive summer rains.

Thanks for the answer, I was also facing the same problem.

Stay happy always :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,  Is this plant is real or a show piece.

Hi, Is this plant is real or a showpiece. My mother is thinking about starting a new business and she wants me to help her to make a business plan for it, So I am thinking about taking www.ogscapital.com/business-plan/eb2-niw-visa-usa/ to make the best business plan, I hope I will complete it soon.