IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Unmanaged Phoenix theophrasti

ahosey01

I’ve heard these are monsters when it comes to armament.  I have a corner of the yard that nobody goes to.  Thought it would be fun to just stick one of these back there on drip and not touch it and see what it looks like in 15 years. Thoughts?

just check up on it to make sure it dosent die every so often

Edited by climate change virginia

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

3 minutes ago, climate change virginia said:

just check up on it to make sure it dosent die every so often

Yeah I mean I would look at it frequently, my thought was just around trimming.  Curious what kind of unruly mess it becomes and if starts to look nicer in a decade or two.

8 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

Yeah I mean I would look at it frequently, my thought was just around trimming.  Curious what kind of unruly mess it becomes and if starts to look nicer in a decade or two.

I think Fusca has or has a pix of the beautiful blue variety.  Maybe he'll see this post and make it available to you. 

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

1 hour ago, ahosey01 said:

I’ve heard these are monsters when it comes to armament.  I have a corner of the yard that nobody goes to.  Thought it would be fun to just stick one of these back there on drip and not touch it and see what it looks like in 15 years. Thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

Personally this is one palm that you should not let it go to pasture. It is and will forever be wicked. 

I trimmed mine up yesterday and I ended up with so many fronds at the base of the ladder it was an almost impenetrable forest of thorns. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I certainly wouldn't want to let one of these go untrimmed for more than a few months.  Keeping one trimmed it can be a beautiful palm.  This one at Kopsick is the nicest one I've seen.

1994731668_Phoenixtheophrasti.thumb.jpg.de4805bc0a5ff693c4a93627b33ca3d9.jpg

Here's mine just as it was starting to show some blue color.

529857184_rsz_Phoenixtheophrasti.thumb.jpg.24322c8d81494235bdedce8f371c7767.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

19 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I certainly wouldn't want to let one of these go untrimmed for more than a few months.  Keeping one trimmed it can be a beautiful palm.  This one at Kopsick is the nicest one I've seen.

Here's mine just as it was starting to show some blue color.

Wow! that one looks amazing, is that blue color uncommon? Seems like most of the photos I've seen are the green.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Just now, Xerarch said:

Wow! that one looks amazing, is that blue color uncommon? Seems like most of the photos I've seen are the green.

I think that blue is pretty rare.  Same here, most photos are pretty green.  Mine started green as a 3-gal plant and just started turning bluish this past summer but not nearly as blue as the one at Kopsick.  My sylvestris x dactylifera hybrid is pretty blue/silver also.

IMG_20200521_150739.thumb.jpg.50a05ff44b7b4b87ff76871aabdddd82.jpg

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

That kopsick plant is the most attractive date you'll ever see. Very striking in person and I've never seen one of that color anywhere else.