IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best place to buy Sabals?

ahosey01

Can anyone point me to the best place to buy harder-to-find Sabal species?

Sabal pumos

Sabal bermudana

Sabal birmingham

Sabal minor

Jungle music’s selection isn’t huge.

Edited by ahosey01

Try North Texas Cold Hardy Palms. Except they of course just went through that wicked freeze...so check with their website for availability depending on whether they were able to protect their inventory.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Gary's Nursery has those huge NC Minors , and he used to have lots of Birminghams . I think Birminghams are harder to get . 

He has a website . 

DSC05167.thumb.JPG.6edaa9e51ee6e3f64e2d84a55ffe020a.JPG

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You can find some Birminghams on ebay and some other places.  Most places I've tried to find them from don't seem to ship unfortunately.  Prices are reasonable too for the size.

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

Minors are easy to get off Ebay at medium sizes.

We have alabama and Oklahoma minors that just went through -3 in pots and it didnt phase them.  You wont find sabal pumos anywhere in the us for sale. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

We have alabama and Oklahoma minors that just went through -3 in pots and it didnt phase them.  You wont find sabal pumos anywhere in the us for sale. 

Shot in the dark but did any of your L. Weddellanium survive? I sent an email inquiry forever ago and never heard back. 

9 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Biggest size you got?

11 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Do you have Louisiana? That’s the big faster growing strain, correct?

1 hour ago, RJ said:

Do you have Louisiana? That’s the big faster growing strain, correct?

Lousiana is a trunking minor correct ? Mine is still in a pot, and still putting out alot of growth 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

T J 

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Lousiana is a trunking minor correct ? Mine is still in a pot, and still putting out alot of growth 

Correct. Most will but over decades!

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

@ahosey01,  if your in my area I got a 5 gallon Sabal Riverside& Sabal Blackburniana 

15 gallon Sabal Uresana 

& liners of Sabal Causiarum, Maritima,  Guatemalensis ( only 2 i believe) As well as some 2-3 leaf Etonia & Emerald Island minors.

• Like 2

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Sabal pumos is not cold hardy at all.  I’ve lost them to cold three times.  Defoliated in low 20’s, killed by brief drops to the upper teens.  

Well there is one in BC if the ID is correct. Been there a long time. 

Sabal Pumos is not very hardy. There was one labeled at the Texas A&M Horticulture gardens, upper teens To 20 defoliated it, in 2010. Doubt it survived. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2021 at 11:43 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I ordered some Alabama sabals from you in March. I have tried to reach out to you MULTIPLE TIMES about when they'll ship to no avail. You're about to lose a repeat customer.

On 4/22/2021 at 12:59 PM, donofriojim1 said:

I ordered some Alabama sabals from you in March. I have tried to reach out to you MULTIPLE TIMES about when they'll ship to no avail. You're about to lose a repeat customer.

I would get your money back if you sent money and find another source until he is back in business. All Sabal minors are very cold hardy. There isn’t going to be any difference with the small Leaf minors. 

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)