IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Anthurium craze and repotting Anthurium magnificum

piping plovers

Piping, I would not buy Clavigerium in your growing indoor 'grow tent' culture. A nice substitute would be Polyschistum. It climbs too but doesn;t attain the massive size that Clavigerum can

polyschistum.jpg

Apoly.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

• Upvote 2

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

2 hours ago, metalfan said:

Piping, I would not buy Clavigerium in your growing indoor 'grow tent' culture. A nice substitute would be Polyschistum. It climbs too but doesn;t attain the massive size that Clavigerum can

Ah, thank you for that recommendation—I’ll keep an eye out for the polyschistum.  As long as I can purchase it in it’s original container I think that mitigates some of the risk on my end.  I really wish Ecuagenera allowed customers to pay extra $ for the option to ship in the original pot. I imagine that would create added export/import issues for them with soils / potting media crossing countries.  If it’s all commercial potting media I don’t see what the big issue is though (I’m getting off topic and that’s a rant for another time;) ).

I think the ecuagenera USA in Florida would have a better chance of accommodating that in- pot shipping as it’s just State borders to ship across.

And Yes, something about that clavigerum just looks challenging to grow well as a houseplant: amazing specimen you’ve grown there.

When we go to Ecuagenera in person of course we get the original container. But I have mail ordered from them when I was too lazy to drive sown there and still got the original (hard plastic) container.   Some of their plants are growing at the nursery in in thin clear plastic containers. Those are their original ones for some plants

What were those labeled as? Adansonii or Obliqua?

Hey I have something interesting! Years ago I bought my 2 now huge mother Anthurium vittariifoliums. One was a variegated plant one was not. Unfortunately the variegation was unstable and the plant reverted.

I have since raised several crops if little Vitts (and sold countless Vitt seeds), Out of all the personal ones I have raised, this single seedling has put out a single variegated leaf. I thought at first it was sunburn but when I looked with a magnifying lens, its really variegated

IMG_2942.jpg

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, metalfan said:

I thought at first it was sunburn but when I looked with a magnifying lens, its really variegated

Ah, that’s a nice surprise. Really cool.

On 4/24/2022 at 1:29 PM, John hovancsek said:

What to do when you walk into the garden center and see this

Nice find.  Did you buy all the obliqua- looking ones?

Is anyone growing Anthurium 'Oaxaca' ( supposedly "cold hardy") outdoors in zone 9? Or any other Anthurium sp? Not expecting miracles... dieback perennial is totally ok. 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Jonathan, your post made me look into  this Anthurium,  and to my surprise, I actually think it’s the same variation I have in the garden. I was given a few of these plants many years ago and always wondered what the name was. The bloom, while nice, it’s the foliage that is so striking. Huge, shiny, leathery, leaves that always look great. There’s also another variant in the garden with the same bloom, but smaller more angular, less rounded leaves. 

I hope they do well for you even though they will probably be seasonal. Thanks!

Tim

9C0177FB-523A-4BB6-BD30-46F398F0B080.jpeg

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here’s another photo that didn’t load, for whatever reason. The shovel gives some scale. 

Tim

E4A3B83B-CC54-43A8-A7AB-764B06D2456E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I have a Oaxaca but have not been brave enough to plant it out yet. A friend gave it to me and I am curious as well.

Hey what do you guys think about this seedling?????

The seed that grew this came from my Anthurium forgetii. Of course it looks nothing like a forgetii....I had some Warocqueanum pollen at that time and was liberally smearing it on stuff so I think maybe this could be a forgetii/ warocq cross...?

IMG_2948.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, metalfan said:

The seed that grew this came from my Anthurium forgetii. Of course it looks nothing like a forgetii....I had some Warocqueanum pollen at that time and was liberally smearing it on stuff so I think maybe this could be a forgetii/ warocq cross...?

Oh this will be an interesting one to watch. Please keep us posted on its development.  That leaf at the 7 o’clock position is long enough to have a tail. The largest leaf probably has a  longer tail too but tucked out of view.

speaking of the regular forgetii, this one put out the largest leaf ever since I purchased it.    Last summer it put a few new ones that were chewed by bugs while still unfurling, greatly distorting the leaf so I never got a normal large leaf.  I’m keeping all of the anthuriums in the sunroom this summer. Lesson learned.

03B9C99F-1FB6-49B1-A3F8-B94109FE9A29.thumb.jpeg.29f83c164b7369fda8753ca6ee44e59d.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the delay but they are obliqua and the small pot is 300 the big one 600

I know this doesn’t look like an anthurium but is . Does anyone know a name?

D000CC47-B7A0-4163-BC45-C95C103C2BAF.jpeg

Can anyone help on the last pic? I got it off a guy selling plants on the side of the road for 10$

F6E7C3FB-A4A8-4A63-8B97-7F5C1A93BB56.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

John, the veining on the first one is interesting, the color is nice too. You need a bumper sticker…

'I Brake for Plants.’

Tim

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

The first one MAY be Anthurium limon, a relatively new species available recently. Its a climbing plant. The last one looks like a crystallinum hybrid called Doryaki, or could be Crystal Hope or Silver Blush. This is my limon and SIlver Blush for comparison. Limon is considered rare and can be pricey...take good care of that!

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

5 hours ago, metalfan said:

The first one MAY be Anthurium limon, a relatively new species available recently. Its a climbing plant. The last one looks like a crystallinum hybrid called Doryaki, or could be Crystal Hope or Silver Blush. This is my limon and SIlver Blush for comparison. Limon is considered rare and can be pricey...take good care of that!

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

Thanks so much for the info. I can’t get enough of them 

22 hours ago, piping plovers said:

John hovancsek    So interesting to see warocqueanum growing in the ground like that and not epiphytic.  

They are all planted by palms. I took one out of a one gallon pot and set it by my Areca and after the slugs did a number on them it is starting to attach and throw it’s first leaf. I am trying to go for what I seen at a botanical garden by me( last 2 photos)

image.jpg

image.jpg

71A2424B-E9BC-46A1-A758-1A6C361362EA.jpeg

E1BB83AD-4859-471C-85C1-5161117471F9.jpeg

• Upvote 2

An unusual slow growing sp.

P1010981.thumb.JPG.771c27fef6528b3dbdada256b55ccba7.JPG

• Upvote 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.