IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Anthurium craze and repotting Anthurium magnificum

piping plovers

1 hour ago, piping plovers said:

Ah, fantastic.  Thanks Silas for providing those links.  I'll read through those to give my first-ever stanhopea the best chance for thriving!

:greenthumb:   There's a few other posts related to lighting, fertilizing, etc to look over at your leisure as well.. Obviously cultivation will be a tad different for your conditions vs. out in San Diego but good reference regardless..  You'll have to share a picture of which one you picked up when it arrives.

21 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb:   There's a few other posts related to lighting, fertilizing, etc to look over at your leisure as well.. Obviously cultivation will be a tad different for your conditions vs. out in San Diego but good reference regardless..  You'll have to share a picture of which one you picked up when it arrives.

I read both of the articles Silas, and book marked for further reading.  Excellent primer on Stanhopeas. Yes, I’ll adjust advice for the reality of my New England growing conditions, perhaps maybe in retirement i can someday live in a zone 10 - like climate.

The Stanhopea occulata arrived today. Ecuagenera is right on the ball with communications. Not sure if blooming size as this is my first.  Roots seem okay, healthy  looking foliage.  I was at a crossroads as to pot in plastic mesh pot or wood basket, but basket on-hand had best fit for now. Pics below of unpacking and then repotted orchid. Even if it never blooms I really like it.

I’ll post my other ecuagenera purchases in this same shipment sometime this weekend.

B867074A-5316-4094-88A0-5E436FC84132.thumb.jpeg.86d9724c423d79ce3705b006bd081b4b.jpeg3E919FCB-A644-4EFB-B790-3D1033A94EC4.thumb.jpeg.21d9feb5beba3ae3ecb6a6c849e08cf6.jpeg52892829-00ED-40EA-9616-4420592D31CB.thumb.jpeg.807bcbd8634a5c07e92c02d42624576b.jpegEC50FA81-4E7A-4775-808A-C065D0DAE651.thumb.jpeg.fb2b403f87cb19cf4d73f04de32074f0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

I read both of the articles Silas, and book marked for further reading.  Excellent primer on Stanhopeas. Yes, I’ll adjust advice for the reality of my New England growing conditions, perhaps maybe in retirement i can someday live in a zone 10 - like climate.

The Stanhopea occulata arrived today. Ecuagenera is right on the ball with communications. Not sure if blooming size as this is my first.  Roots seem okay, healthy  looking foliage.  I was at a crossroads as to pot in plastic mesh pot or wood basket, but basket on-hand had best fit for now. Pics below of unpacking and then repotted orchid. Even if it never blooms I really like it.

I’ll post my other ecuagenera purchases in this same shipment sometime this weekend.

B867074A-5316-4094-88A0-5E436FC84132.thumb.jpeg.86d9724c423d79ce3705b006bd081b4b.jpeg3E919FCB-A644-4EFB-B790-3D1033A94EC4.thumb.jpeg.21d9feb5beba3ae3ecb6a6c849e08cf6.jpeg52892829-00ED-40EA-9616-4420592D31CB.thumb.jpeg.807bcbd8634a5c07e92c02d42624576b.jpegEC50FA81-4E7A-4775-808A-C065D0DAE651.thumb.jpeg.fb2b403f87cb19cf4d73f04de32074f0.jpeg

:greenthumb: That's quite a starter plant they sent.. Non - expert guess would think this is pretty close to flowering size.. Maybe not this year, but possibly next.  Good choice too .. S. occulata is on my list as well.

Once you know how this does for you,  Stanhopea tigrina nigroviolacea " The Predator "  is another worth considering.  At least one hybrid between occulata and tigrina that is supposed to be an easy grower also.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

23 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

That's quite a starter plant they sent.. Non - expert guess would think this is pretty close to flowering size.. Maybe not this year, but possibly next.  Good choice too .. S. occulata is on my list as well.

Once you know how this does for you,  Stanhopea tigrina nigroviolacea " The Predator "  is another worth considering.  At least one hybrid between occulata and tigrina that is supposed to be an easy grower also.

Good to hear that it’s close to bloom size.  Price on this size was extremely reasonable from ecuagenera; the rub is adding enough plants to the order to make shipping seem reasonable. 

There are a few stanhopeas on the Santa Barbara orchid Estate website that I may call them about.  I have ordered in the past from them, great customer service.  I’ll keep in mind that variety you mentioned above.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 9:17 AM, idesign123 said:

Hello - I've been enjoying reading this thread and am considering placing an order from Ecuagenera South America, since they'll be at a plant show near me in a couple months (and they wouldn't charge for shipping if I pick my order up at the show). Only issue is that I'm brand new to Anthuriums. I included two A. pseudospectabile in my Floribunda order though, so I'll need to get up to speed either way.  I'm relatively experienced in growing bromeliads, so thinking I might be able handle adding these (though will obviously take more care than most bromeliads).

Can someone please recommend a list of possible plants I should include in my Ecuagenera order?

• I live in a relatively plant-friendly zone (10a), but it's California not Florida, so less humid
  • I would like to grow them outdoors (in a covered frost-free location), but can bring them indoors a couple months of the year if needed. Ideal would be if I could leave them outside though.
  • I love the look of the dark "velvet" ones best, but am open to any type. Would love to get at least one "velvet", and at least one that's long and skinny. 

From this thread + my own research I have the following on my list as possibilities (though I'm open to other ideas)...
A. crystillanum
A. forgetii
A. magnificum
A. pallidiflorum
A. pedatoradiatum
A. pendens
A. vittariifolium
A. warocqueanum
A. wendlingerii

Recommendations? And while I'm at it, are there any orchids or philodendrons I should add to my order that might survive outdoors (protected) year round?

* I'd like to try orchids at some point, but am at square one there. Already have a few philodendrons, including a couple rare ones like "Prince of Orange". Mostly looking at the anthuriums, but thinking I might add orchids and/or philodendrons to the order if there's any that would work outside year round.

Thanks for any advice on what I should order!

Hi hi, I put together an aroid list for you, thanks to @Silas_Sancona  tagging me.   I live in Glendale which is a bit more inland than downtown Los Angeles.  Your temps are more intermediate than mine, and your humidity is probably higher.  But the area I keep my outdoor aroids is cooler and more humid than the rest of the yard. 

Anthurium coriaceum 6 - not sure if this is the same variety that is a big and excellent outdoor grower here.  

Anthurium cupulispathum - this might be the same one that a few friends of mine in Culver City have been growing outdoors for years.  Huge.  

Anthurium falcatum - a Culver City friend had this for at least a year outside.  I got it this summer and so far so good.  

Anthurium marmoratum - Saw this in a garden in Thousand Oaks.  It had been outside for at least a year.  

Anthurium metallicum - A couple local friends have had this, or something very similar, outside for several years.  

Anthurium pedatum - A Culver City friend has been growing this outside for several years.  

Philodendron alatiundulatum - I got it this summer and so far so good.

Philodendron barrosoanum 5 - ditto 

Philodendron barrosoanum giganteum - ditto

Philodendron brandtianum - ditto

Philodendron clarkei cf - ditto

Philodendron erubescens - I think this is one of the more common outdoor Philos here in SoCal.  

Philodendron giganteum - A Culver City friend has been growing this outside for several years.  Got mine this summer and so far so good.  

Philodendron gribianum - I got it this summer and so far so good.

Philodendron linnaei - ditto 

Philodendron linnaei slim - ditto

Philodendron nangaritense - a Culver City friend had this for at least a year outside.  I got it this summer but have it in the greenhouse, might kick it out to free up space.

Philodendron parvilobum - I got it this summer and so far so good.

Philodendron sanctamartinense - ditto 

Philodendron sparreorum - ditto 

Some of these are out of stock but it's worth it to ask about availability.   

All of mine are mounted on tightly packed decent quality sphagnum moss (with a "few" granules of osmocote) on boards or branches.  I thoroughly water them almost every night.   

Here are three I got this summer that I didn't include on the list...

Anthurium oxycarpum giganteum - no new leaves or roots.  

Anthurium truncicola - down to its last leaf.  

Philodendron bonifaziae - lost all its leaves, but stem is still alive.  

Probably this weekend I'm going to go through the Ecuagenera aroids in the greenhouse and kick out at least a couple dozen.   Need to free up space for some new ones.  

There are quite a few aroids (such as Anthurium scandens and podophyllum, and Rhaphidophora decursiva) that are great outdoor growers that Ecuagenera doesn't currently sell.  

Shared my orchid recommendations in the orchid thread.

Edited by epiphyte
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, epiphyte said:

Hi hi, I put together an aroid list for you...

Wow, thank you so much!!! The deadline for my preorder is in three weeks, so that gives me time to research all of these.

So excited to hear that many of these *might* grow outdoors for me (I'd like to at least try anyway). The area I'd like to put them is hanging against a wall with overhead protection (I'm optimistic I can create a nice "microclimate" there). I could bring the more finicky ones inside if needed, but would prefer to leave everything there year round, and just wrap that whole area if there's a particularly severe cold spell. 

I've read that most anthuriums require a minimum of 50F to thrive, though I'd love to push a *bit* lower if possible. Do you have a guess how low the ones on your list *might* be able to take before needing cold protection?

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

Posting my pics from my ecuagenera shipment received 2 weeks ago. This is the anthurium crystallinum. After seeing the high quality crystallinums others have received in unboxing videos, I asked ecuagenera if they would ship me the largest they had.  Not sure if they were trying to make my day or if I just got super lucky—-anyhow this exceeded my expectations.  A few of the older leaves fell off since receiving but with this root system I am not too concerned.  

I know ecuagenera can be inconsistent time to time but as an anthurium newbie last winter, I paid for a eBay crystallinum that was 2 or 3x the price of this ecuagenera one and was 1/5 the size, so I’ll continue to take my chances with ecuagenera.

E9ED5B3D-460F-4B62-AAE5-F28F53A4602A.thumb.jpeg.e2de8caf75e86e3032105550d97a4cf6.jpegBA781CAA-739A-4753-B519-A66BA8E18173.thumb.jpeg.2e9c8d7b707b07f75b09cb0076713f35.jpeg0264B45E-B20F-4979-BFC5-0776EECFA06D.thumb.jpeg.6bb3a5eb9115155b95454ea8cbcad3ca.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

This is one of my fave plants I have gotten from Ecuagenera. Its basically probably an undescribed species....ANthurium marmoratum type 'Chical'.  I like the pleated and bullate leaves. The new leaves are so sweet LOL

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

• Like 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

This is another fave. Anthurium falcatum. New leaf hardening off

IMG_0167.JPG

• Like 1

For anyone having doubts about Ecuagenera, I can say this.....the Portilla family has been involved in plants since the 1950's. They started with orchids, then branched out. They established their retail operation in 1992. I have been buying from them ever since. They have been proactive in helping to stave off deforestation, their growing operations in Ecuador are on natural forested land that they purchased to save it from being destroyed. They have at least 5 individual compounds in different climate zones from Amazon basin to premontagne forest. They have had the pleasure of hosting a number of the most prestigious aroid field botanists in the world, including Dr Thomas Croat of MOBOT in 2019. A lot of people criticize them for selling plants that are misidentified. But most of them are not misidentified....they are UNDESCRIBED. I will never stop supporting them. When you visit them in person, they are warm and helpful. I bought an Anthurium splendidum from them in December as part of my Christmas gift....I posted on Facebook about how I had had one 20 years ago and killed it by putting it in my hot greenhouse. I got a personal message from Ivan Portilla himself, giving me culture tips. Now THAT'S customer service.  I got this beautiful Philodendron from them about 2 years ago...it was tagged 'Philo wendlandii 2'. It bears no resemblance to P.wendlandii. The closest match is P. roseospathum. And even that is not an exact match. Probably an undescribed species. But oh so kewl

IMG_0134.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have had a spate of new leaves lately. I love new leaves. They are so fresh and colorful before they harden off. Cercestis mirabilis. anthurium besseae 'aff'. Anthurium papillilaminum pure strain. Imported from Panama c2002.Philodendron rugopetiolatum. By rights, I should not be able to grow this here. Its a cooler growing Philo. But is seems to love my conditions. And yes, I got this from Ecuagenera LOL  

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0153.JPG

8 minutes ago, metalfan said:

For anyone having doubts about Ecuagenera, I can say this.....the Portilla family has been involved in plants since the 1950's. They started with orchids, then branched out. They established their retail operation in 1992. I have been buying from them ever since. They have been proactive in helping to stave off deforestation, their growing operations in Ecuador are on natural forested land that they purchased to save it from being destroyed. They have at least 5 individual compounds in different climate zones from Amazon basin to premontagne forest. They have had the pleasure of hosting a number of the most prestigious aroid field botanists in the world, including Dr Thomas Croat of MOBOT in 2019. A lot of people criticize them for selling plants that are misidentified. But most of them are not misidentified....they are UNDESCRIBED. I will never stop supporting them. When you visit them in person, they are warm and helpful. I bought an Anthurium splendidum from them in December as part of my Christmas gift....I posted on Facebook about how I had had one 20 years ago and killed it by putting it in my hot greenhouse. I got a personal message from Ivan Portilla himself, giving me culture tips. Now THAT'S customer service.  I got this beautiful Philodendron from them about 2 years ago...it was tagged 'Philo wendlandii 2'. It bears no resemblance to P.wendlandii. The closest match is P. roseospathum. And even that is not an exact match. Probably an undescribed species. But oh so kewl

IMG_0134.JPG

Interesting reading this history. Thanks for posting this.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 9:12 AM, idesign123 said:

I've read that most anthuriums require a minimum of 50F to thrive, though I'd love to push a *bit* lower if possible. Do you have a guess how low the ones on your list *might* be able to take before needing cold protection?

Not sure about the ones on the list that I acquired this summer, but the others can handle high to mid 30s.    

• Like 2

SO my seedlings are really coming on as summer starts to think about ending in, oh, November? Pretty excited about a few of these. I have been working a lot with Cardiolonchiums, mainly because I have a lot of them and know they are compatible to cross pollinate. These are a few of the more unusual things that have shaken out so far.

#1,2,3...this is a cross between Anthurium forgetii and Anthurium besseae x magnificum. I only know one other person, who lives in Hawaii, who has a besseae x mag of the same vintage as mine (somewhere around 2004/5.) Mine throws some really strange offsets sometimes...I call them 'high silvers'. The cross I made popped out this seedling that looks like it transferred the 'high silver' trait via seed Photo 1 what besseae x mag generally looks like, #2 a high silver mutation, #3 the seedling with forgetii.

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

• Like 1

One of my straight forgetii's in #1. Forgetii x warocqueanum in #2 Anthurium 'Mehani'. (mag x (radicans x lux) x crystallinum, possibly recrossed with magnificum

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

• Like 1

One of my next crop of seedlings will come from this big A. papillilaminum. I hand pollinated the spadix with Ace of Spades, besseae x magnificum, and warocqueanum pollen so it may be a grab bag as well I have to say, I love my hobby of collecting plants. But, the hybridization aspect of the hobby is the most exciting thing I have done in a long while with plants

IMG_0233.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/14/2021 at 7:54 AM, metalfan said:

One of my straight forgetii's in #1. Forgetii x warocqueanum in #2 Anthurium 'Mehani'. (mag x (radicans x lux) x crystallinum, possibly recrossed with magnificum

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

Some fascinating crosses there.  How long do you think it would take to see mature foliage on those and assess the characteristics of your hybrids?

I went on a buying spree for Anthurium veitchii these past few weeks.  Two from EBay with much larger leaves than my seedling.  Photos below. I now have over 10 anthuriums in my collection starting from zero  9 months ago.  Also, a Few photos of the tropical corner of my garden, for another 6 weeks at least until night time temperatures get too low for them in New England.  Although, my 5 kentias do stay outside until November. The Ocean is nearby so maritime climate delays the frost for us relatively late for our northern latitude. 

EB013B26-AF40-45B2-8527-C098A0A4FD00.thumb.jpeg.4382975141fd02a7b7578fd31ab785f7.jpeg323B1242-9596-4A29-9DD8-526ED65E8172.thumb.jpeg.5ece0d3ef19c7ffe1e4580c01ecd9368.jpegD4E20D77-FEFB-4855-A5DE-5BDAC71029DA.thumb.jpeg.6a254ce04148658a143e5a9bb676b10b.jpeg7D6CD10F-54DD-4A09-892C-E68CFF4DFA70.thumb.jpeg.08077a7954b8995b3a3072e2ddcc3105.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

YOU are well and truly hooked! You will be hybridizing before you know it LOL

• Like 1

I'm selling off some seedlings I grew from my Anthurium clarinervium x faustomirandae. We have a local rare plant BST here in our town and I am going to auction them off. Mother plant 1,...babes 2, 3. This hybrid was originally made years ago by Silver Krome. There are a lot of different looking ones out there but as far as anyone who has one has even seen mine is the only clone that has these grey-silver leaves once hardened off. I am of course retaining the most unusual ones for myself...there is one that looks like a very small dark bullate clarinervium with small heart shaped leaves that I am keeping. Maybe 2 others. The rest are finding new homes

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.JPG

• Like 3

How ironic that as the I’m heading for vacation in SW Florida I was not happy to hear at last minute (after I committed to reservations) the news a hurricane was heading my way to Rhode Island. Very disruptive.  Brought in my  30 + hanging anthuriums and orchids, now they will sit indoors for a week when they would prefer to be outdoors in the balmy weather after the storm passes.  

We had a thunderstorm a few days ago and the newest and largest leaf was ripped off my anthurium crystallinum.  It has already lost a number of leaves after the shipping stress and acclimatization. After seeing that I knew I had to bring them all in while gone. Photos below of the crystallinum when first arrived and now. 

2F603BBA-2099-4E69-874F-9A1D9649FA30.thumb.jpeg.cf805baed8d49152ef16e5a0187431c8.jpeg2B031608-5F96-4040-B0DF-CB823088DAC1.thumb.jpeg.25588147792fcff469cb92c0d48d5a00.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piping plovers said:

We had a thunderstorm a few days ago and the newest and largest leaf was ripped off my anthurium crystallinum.  It has already lost a number of leaves after the shipping stress and acclimatization. After seeing that I knew I had to bring them all in while gone. Photos below of the crystallinum when first arrived and now. 

Felt wrong clicking the "like" button for something so sad. Hope they are able to come back :(

• Like 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

7 hours ago, idesign123 said:

Felt wrong clicking the "like" button for something so sad. Hope they are able to come back :(

Thanks for the kind words!  Yes, I’ll put them all back outside when I return to give them the best growing conditions before the cold nights arrive.  I decided to make the best of this trip and visited an amazing anthurium collection in Sarasota, FL.  I’ll post the pics here soon.

• Upvote 1

Got this as an extra with an import from Indonesia. Is it A. crystallinum, hybrid, ??? Not into Anthurium at all 

20210822_190232.thumb.jpg.a3acf14440814c704dfd0dacc9c21f50.jpg20210822_190240.thumb.jpg.f2e5f1ccb61cbce502bd841980285ac7.jpg

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

1 hour ago, Xenon said:

Got this as an extra with an import from Indonesia. Is it A. crystallinum, hybrid, ??? Not into Anthurium at all 

That looks very crystallinum to me.

• Like 2

On vacation in Florida, I drove up to Sarasota, FL from Sanibel Island to visit the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens.  I last visited there 30 years ago as a hort undergrad  and was amazed with their epiphyte collection. I wanted to specifically see their anthuriums now and was not disappointed.

The place to see this collection is in the greenhouse/conservatory at their downtown location.  It’s like a jewel box inside for epiphytes—-well worth seeing. The growing wet wall was newly installed years ago and now has matured into an authentic rain forest grotto-like area. 

Below are photos of the strap leaf type anthuriums. I’ll be posting photos of the other anthuriums as well.  Unfortunately, I could not identify most of these as the tags were too high up or not in view, etc. Many looked familiar though. I asked a few staff but no one was able to identify that day, I may send an email to get names of some of these. The last two photos are a type that really interested me, more broad than a strapleaf.

B7801F95-EEBF-4394-A48E-59E074099E00.thumb.jpeg.dbd840c584b536bc5e6c2cf18bc9f138.jpeg927E9A1D-ED49-4122-98CE-CA804B5E5B3F.thumb.jpeg.6b658c4226389cf34541b9f1b6e65077.jpegF0590AE4-D625-41C3-8A71-AF1BE276FDCF.thumb.jpeg.6bbf74972e74cb4c500267b50c149a7b.jpeg794B8689-B66D-4526-BFFB-753132615F9A.thumb.jpeg.fb748164cfcb67e5fb66c86c9d610613.jpeg02EF159C-F60E-452A-A724-A630384B1E86.thumb.jpeg.39fab2924c0cf1773a9a539ad1897745.jpegA61D5941-744E-48E1-B310-CF4F8378D3CC.thumb.jpeg.6fd562ed079895098817562983863408.jpeg8099A47B-9F75-4D10-9BDB-0A720D871285.thumb.jpeg.5dfa75afa715c398ffefb1fc9bc7ad2e.jpegC6424385-23C4-47C9-A087-664EB07B594F.thumb.jpeg.b94e009a8e133d7e86da96b0b85b0767.jpeg2D67906E-A015-4328-8E91-6E604E9F4AAD.thumb.jpeg.faa8e1623e9e3901fd7a2459aebb6070.jpeg7137ED62-126B-4A20-815C-61A27B1F58B5.thumb.jpeg.5ca2a294cdc8d9b82a24bc9b94c2ca84.jpeg0E8B205C-838C-488A-9E7A-7212E576AD79.thumb.jpeg.9dce2d466ebfa4b2dee66ae15b52072c.jpegBA13F836-DBDB-44B8-AC67-39EC7740A822.thumb.jpeg.6e4cd84223a94a950fe7fc39b06d8fce.jpeg337A9355-1B0D-4813-A45B-758B881A40EA.thumb.jpeg.91a3be95d3d2c4312a98dcd0e3974dd7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

On vacation in Florida, I drove up to Sarasota, FL from Sanibel Island to visit the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens.  I last visited there 30 years ago as a hort undergrad  and was amazed with their epiphyte collection. I wanted to specifically see their anthuriums now and was not disappointed.

The place to see this collection is in the greenhouse/conservatory at their downtown location.  It’s like a jewel box inside for epiphytes—-well worth seeing. The growing wet wall was newly installed years ago and now has matured into an authentic rain forest grotto-like area. 

Below are photos of the strap leaf type anthuriums. I’ll be posting photos of the other anthuriums as well.  Unfortunately, I could not identify most of these as the tags were too high up or not in view, etc. Many looked familiar though. I asked a few staff but no one was able to identify that day, I may send an email to get names of some of these. The last two photos are a type that really interested me, more broad than a strapleaf.

B7801F95-EEBF-4394-A48E-59E074099E00.thumb.jpeg.dbd840c584b536bc5e6c2cf18bc9f138.jpeg927E9A1D-ED49-4122-98CE-CA804B5E5B3F.thumb.jpeg.6b658c4226389cf34541b9f1b6e65077.jpegF0590AE4-D625-41C3-8A71-AF1BE276FDCF.thumb.jpeg.6bbf74972e74cb4c500267b50c149a7b.jpeg794B8689-B66D-4526-BFFB-753132615F9A.thumb.jpeg.fb748164cfcb67e5fb66c86c9d610613.jpeg02EF159C-F60E-452A-A724-A630384B1E86.thumb.jpeg.39fab2924c0cf1773a9a539ad1897745.jpegA61D5941-744E-48E1-B310-CF4F8378D3CC.thumb.jpeg.6fd562ed079895098817562983863408.jpeg8099A47B-9F75-4D10-9BDB-0A720D871285.thumb.jpeg.5dfa75afa715c398ffefb1fc9bc7ad2e.jpegC6424385-23C4-47C9-A087-664EB07B594F.thumb.jpeg.b94e009a8e133d7e86da96b0b85b0767.jpeg2D67906E-A015-4328-8E91-6E604E9F4AAD.thumb.jpeg.faa8e1623e9e3901fd7a2459aebb6070.jpeg7137ED62-126B-4A20-815C-61A27B1F58B5.thumb.jpeg.5ca2a294cdc8d9b82a24bc9b94c2ca84.jpeg0E8B205C-838C-488A-9E7A-7212E576AD79.thumb.jpeg.9dce2d466ebfa4b2dee66ae15b52072c.jpegBA13F836-DBDB-44B8-AC67-39EC7740A822.thumb.jpeg.6e4cd84223a94a950fe7fc39b06d8fce.jpeg337A9355-1B0D-4813-A45B-758B881A40EA.thumb.jpeg.91a3be95d3d2c4312a98dcd0e3974dd7.jpeg

Great pictures!

Good to see the Anthurium collection is doing well.. How'd the Orchids look? You walk around the rest of the garden? Miss being able to head down there regularly, let alone pass the garden to/ from where i worked in Sarasota while living in Bradenton.  

If/ when you e-mail for names, very curious what the reddish- looking Fern to the right, in the background of picture #6 is.

25 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Great pictures!

Good to see the Anthurium collection is doing well.. How'd the Orchids look? You walk around the rest of the garden? Miss being able to head down there regularly, let alone pass the garden to/ from where i worked in Sarasota while living in Bradenton.  

If/ when you e-mail for names, very curious what the reddish- looking Fern to the right, in the background of picture #6 is.

Thanks Silas! I walked through the whole garden.  There were a few blooming orchids on display but I didn’t see many cattleya types, wondering if they rotate them in/ out unless the non blooming ones just faded into the green of that space.  I remember they used to have an indoor, rot-free,  man-made epiphyte jungle tree with bark fastened to a pvc skeleton (sounds weird but looked quite nice when covered in bark, orchids and moss). Maybe an idea that didn’t age well.

I’ll post a few of those orchid pics to the orchid thread on here.  I just posted this pic below to orchid board for an id on this giant phaleonopsis-like plant.  I’m calling it the Jurassic phaleonopsis until I get the identification.  Yes, I will inquire about the red fern for you, I didn’t even notice that in the photo until you mentioned it.

I have relatives in Bradenton and it must have been nice living in that area so close to Sarasota.

A16FCE62-D18D-46B8-AEC6-D136A604921D.thumb.jpeg.96079c882a45d3843154c7e4c7d84fe3.jpeg

5 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

Thanks Silas! I walked through the whole garden.  There were a few blooming orchids on display but I didn’t see many cattleya types, wondering if they rotate them in/ out unless the non blooming ones just faded into the green of that space.  I remember they used to have an indoor, rot-free,  man-made epiphyte jungle tree with bark fastened to a pvc skeleton (sounds weird but looked quite nice when covered in bark, orchids and moss). Maybe an idea that didn’t age well.

I’ll post a few of those orchid pics to the orchid thread on here.  I just posted this pic below to orchid board for an id on this giant phaleonopsis-like plant.  I’m calling it the Jurassic phaleonopsis until I get the identification.  Yes, I will inquire about the red fern for you, I didn’t even notice that in the photo until you mentioned it.

I have relatives in Bradenton and it must have been nice living in that area so close to Sarasota.

A16FCE62-D18D-46B8-AEC6-D136A604921D.thumb.jpeg.96079c882a45d3843154c7e4c7d84fe3.jpeg

Taking a guess, i think this is Bulbophyllum Phaleonopsis.. Remember the same specimen from my last visit ( before i left the area ) Neat plant, esp. when flowering.. The do ( the flowers ) stink though.

Your thought is correct, ..that they rotate various Orchids in /out as they flower, or for different events.. Last time i was there, mid- February that year, a god amount of things were on display, many different from the first time i'd visited the Garden back in 2011. The Drip- wall is a pretty sweet addition.. Always had some cool things tucked in/ growing on it.

Funny thing about living in Bradenton was, when i first lived in FL, i lived near Clearwater and always traveled down to Siesta Key, or Selby to attend plant sales.. While in Bradenton, never went down there ( Siesta Key ), but often traveled up to St. Pete to walk around Kopsick,  lol..

• Like 1

My daughter went to college in Sarasota, she graduated in 2019. So we were no strangers LOL. Years ago I was a member of the Marie Selby Gardens. Always had great sales, Those are great photos! I have some strap leaves, they are a lot of fun. Highly epiphytic. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here are photos of the other anthuriums, aroids, and few other gems in their conservatory.  Was Surprised I didn’t see any A. warocqueanums, however, the A. veitchiis, the strap leaves and this amazing outdoors palm Licuala peltata ‘Sumawongii’ made it worth the trip. I have a small Sumawongii at home, nice to see this beautiful large specimen. Fascinating also to see a terrarium collection of what seemed to be very delicate orchids and epiphytes. Imagine  A terrarium within a greenhouse within Florida, you just know those plants require extraordinary wet tropical growing conditions.

2B74DDBE-2E1E-4922-9D6D-8D4DBB34074A.thumb.jpeg.7445a4e0058921e65189b8f3e2a384a5.jpegB0B9CCC4-7382-4CC5-9D1F-3C60A95CA5A4.thumb.jpeg.8ed5923f267a32c86f746c56ddc25464.jpegA08E73A3-67A8-4B7E-98C1-BDCDEE8D7C15.thumb.jpeg.46a39f816924f37d6fdc68b3bdbc23d5.jpeg3A055BCC-C436-452A-8244-D2A3E07BA973.thumb.jpeg.602ee2a6aa5c8f209b8360792c5c44bf.jpeg78A1CAD2-59E3-4B58-A764-8688FF17C7A8.thumb.jpeg.a85b97e6e84b2b0dc65acbdf264a1434.jpeg916917EB-85C7-4A14-A5A8-93B2D398A8A0.thumb.jpeg.df54f4ea539ff85d3a521dcbb6e99446.jpegE5C1F240-570F-48AC-B9D0-E1C03467D14C.thumb.jpeg.b547126865740bb4862c03a43852a649.jpeg2862E4BC-A854-476D-B665-F139323B165B.thumb.jpeg.18c8aa1fbbbaf51a8c8ef2aa2c552b40.jpegF60A8449-0117-4BFC-B3A7-73DA5656968E.thumb.jpeg.8fc6e0d8a4b73d94e1dcf0ba9d220476.jpegD446B4D8-845B-42E8-A08E-C4D9D77B4C10.thumb.jpeg.4a9ab3c63408c8d0168ccf0de9a74492.jpegCFF97BAC-2FC8-4524-AD19-C60876E75676.thumb.jpeg.636f75307619d409ba2a7e13a092a948.jpegE5101C9B-633E-421B-9A3E-3E8594088E3B.thumb.jpeg.386251d00fb662665e33118153d8e2ab.jpeg8419C447-0ED5-487D-9BFD-46C7DBB73D68.thumb.jpeg.52cf6aaab7cfb18d9c9457c23b9dcb27.jpeg23E3C057-9886-4FBD-8DB5-D82D41602903.thumb.jpeg.94cc62a8c5a02d4eeac743c06040b279.jpeg144CB9F1-1806-4C87-8660-B471C011FBE9.thumb.jpeg.f62acc3cc36ed8613294ed5846a62290.jpeg5E5B315D-176B-4DEE-B346-EDEAAF9FD98C.thumb.jpeg.4163771284777d731ad3ec0ce89f6009.jpegBFBFF0E1-AF2D-4450-9C76-61E4B95FD0C5.thumb.jpeg.3bd70c944defc8efcbae4e0ad79322b0.jpeg3729CFB1-4E58-44DC-9466-9545021ED96F.thumb.jpeg.9f66adc97e35978c53c721135df1a431.jpeg6DE2C70C-5780-4475-92F6-770DA7939E91.thumb.jpeg.a4efccb0a29524ee68d19127c3384d18.jpeg0049D713-B96E-4F11-B768-0682B74E43C2.thumb.jpeg.035d39126de8c61372aac692095bd5aa.jpeg2D44E740-CE16-4F00-804C-7A69DDB49341.thumb.jpeg.f3d22b4a6e3d7e7354dbdff5c13baca6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Selby has had to remove some plants from the public view in  their collection in recent times. I don;t know if Waroq is one of those....but they had 3 specimens of true Monstera obliqua, and after 2 were stolen out of the exhibit, they removed the 3rd to safe keep it. From what I have heard on other pages, people were also poaching their anthurium hybrid called Selby Silver. And snipping cuttings off stuff. They do this at Fairchild to. Just tragically dishonest

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, metalfan said:

Selby has had to remove some plants from the public view in  their collection in recent times. I don;t know if Waroq is one of those....but they had 3 specimens of true Monstera obliqua, and after 2 were stolen out of the exhibit, they removed the 3rd to safe keep it. From what I have heard on other pages, people were also poaching their anthurium hybrid called Selby Silver. And snipping cuttings off stuff. They do this at Fairchild to. Just tragically dishonest

Thanks for the  local background info on that.  As I was driving back it occurred to me that might’ve been the reason why the waroqus were not on display.  Especially when chonks  and cuttings are so valuable.  Yes, a real shame that we all miss out.    As part of horticultural tourism, people travel far for these collections as where else can most readily see mature specimens.  If there are no exotic animals in the zoo why would people bother going to the zoos?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marie Nock said:

BFBFF0E1-AF2D-4450-9C76-61E4B95FD0C5.thumb.jpeg.3bd70c944defc8efcbae4e0ad79322b0.jpeg

It's good to see this Medinilla miniata doing well.  We donated it to Selby years ago.

Ah, what a generous donation to the collection ! The red color was so vivid against all the greens.  I was amazed at how woody the stem became on that specimen.  I’m adding a few more photos of the plant below.

CFA1AFBB-A4A2-4C97-8265-78D84F1A1FEF.thumb.jpeg.d8d1245a9e30156d70474e116b553d0a.jpegECD38EF2-84FF-433B-9177-E2E5BA901308.thumb.jpeg.f3aaa5c3cdac9bea337735e4f8bbe7b0.jpeg331979E7-2F58-436F-8753-CE86039D39C4.thumb.jpeg.fb2c119f9cb8d87a86613a254c1a0b5f.jpegFFBC23F4-32F8-4BF6-8764-8E1EFEC38989.thumb.jpeg.37f42423844335998282e406aefd906b.jpeg

• Upvote 1

It is unfortunate. Nurseries here have been outright robbed as well. Tropiflora in Sarasota had thieves come in overnight one night last season and chop up a huge specimen of Philodendron Jose Buono and steal it. They returned again and took the potted part they had left. Silver Krome nursery has been robbed I believe 3 times. Each time they had the robbers on camera. The guy was finally caught. He stole thousands of dollars of plants from there. But even worse has been the proliferation of plant scammers. People selling plants for thousands of dollars then just disappearing. And the insane prices. Yesterday I saw a 2 leaf Philodendron Ilsmanii listed for sale at $9500. These plants are only 'worth' what people are willing to pay for them. Its my opinion that they really have little 'intrinsic' value. If people would just stop paying the ridiculous prices, then the prices would be forced to come down.

I think many people decided to turn to importing plants themselves because its supposed to be cheaper. But there are some scammers now that are practicing what is called 'reverse importation'....they are selling things in mass from the US to the EXPORTERS in places like Indonesia, who are then reselling them to people here in the US for higher prices. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, metalfan said:

It is unfortunate. Nurseries here have been outright robbed as well. Tropiflora in Sarasota had thieves come in overnight one night last season and chop up a huge specimen of Philodendron Jose Buono and steal it. They returned again and took the potted part they had left. Silver Krome nursery has been robbed I believe 3 times. Each time they had the robbers on camera. The guy was finally caught. He stole thousands of dollars of plants from there. But even worse has been the proliferation of plant scammers. People selling plants for thousands of dollars then just disappearing. And the insane prices. Yesterday I saw a 2 leaf Philodendron Ilsmanii listed for sale at $9500. These plants are only 'worth' what people are willing to pay for them. Its my opinion that they really have little 'intrinsic' value. If people would just stop paying the ridiculous prices, then the prices would be forced to come down.

Interesting information Metalfan.  Thanks.  A small philodendron for $9500, it’s like our mini version of tulip mania. All this crazy printed $ looking for places to go: the insane prices we hear about dubious art work, used car prices, real estate, etc .

Am wondering if this aroid craze was around substantially prior to the 2020/covid/ stay at home with your houseplants revival/ coupled with $stimulus.  I began my interest in anthuriums in 2020, so I only know these crazy aroid buying conditions. Like many of us, When in lockdown for a year plus, browsing plant YT videos and realizing —wow, people are actually unboxing plants that I only ever imagined owning in those  heavy 1970 era Graff’s EXOTICA & Exotic Plant Manual library books—-it’s a great feeling to actually click and acquire.

Edited by piping plovers
Added info
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, piping plovers said:

Interesting information Metalfan.  Thanks.  A small philodendron for $9500, it’s like our mini version of tulip mania. All this crazy printed $ looking for places to go: the insane prices we hear about dubious art work, used car prices, real estate, etc .

Am wondering if this aroid craze was around substantially prior to the 2020/covid/ stay at home with your houseplants revival/ coupled with $stimulus.  I began my interest in anthuriums in 2020, so I only know these crazy aroid buying conditions. Like many of us, When in lockdown for a year plus, browsing plant YT videos and realizing —wow, people are actually unboxing plants that I only ever imagined owning in those  heavy 1970 era Graff’s EXOTICA & Exotic Plant Manual library books—-it’s a great feeling to actually click and acquire.

Can't speak for whether or not 2020 set an inferno under the " craze "  but know things like Anthuriums, Philos, Hoya, Orchids, and Nepanthes.. among other house planty- stuff has been a popular niche for awhile..  Would be a big attention -getter at plant sales i'd attend.

As for the prices for some of this stuff?  If someone is crazy enough to spend several hundred bucks on a tiny 4" starter plant, any  plant..  98% of the time, they've been scammed.. plain and simple.  9K, for a plant?  Feel free to fund my 2000 acre Everglades property in the Death Valley, lol   Absolutely ridiculous..  But, as the saying goes:  " There's a sucker that will fall for almost anything "

Imagine spending the equivalent of a down payment for a good, used car on something you could kill in an instant..  9K? rotting in the garbage  after it didn't get watered / watered too much, fell off / was knocked off something the plant sat on, ..or froze/ fried..   Just because someone had to look " cool " for others.  Middle School Syndrome anyone?  Some people are just Dumb as ....... ,  Plain and simple.

Guaranteed i know someone, ..who may know someone else ( if the person i know doesn't have it to share )  who has the same plant, and would sell me a nice, well started cutting / plant ( or 2 )  for $100  ..at the most..  Likely much less..  A real plants-person offers awesome plants, at great prices everyone can afford.

• Like 1

One of the worst scares in a while is the Philodendron spiritus sancti hybrid scam. UGH

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Can't speak for whether or not 2020 set an inferno under the " craze "  but know things like Anthuriums, Philos, Hoya, Orchids, and Nepanthes.. among other house planty- stuff has been a popular niche for awhile..  Would be a big attention -getter at plant sales i'd attend.

As for the prices for some of this stuff?  If someone is crazy enough to spend several hundred bucks on a tiny 4" starter plant, any  plant..  98% of the time, they've been scammed.. plain and simple.  9K, for a plant?  Feel free to fund my 2000 acre Everglades property in the Death Valley, lol   Absolutely ridiculous..  But, as the saying goes:  " There's a sucker that will fall for almost anything "

Imagine spending the equivalent of a down payment for a good, used car on something you could kill in an instant..  9K? rotting in the garbage  after it didn't get watered / watered too much, fell off / was knocked off something the plant sat on, ..or froze/ fried..   Just because someone had to look " cool " for others.  Middle School Syndrome anyone?  Some people are just Dumb as ....... ,  Plain and simple.

Guaranteed i know someone, ..who may know someone else ( if the person i know doesn't have it to share )  who has the same plant, and would sell me a nice, well started cutting / plant ( or 2 )  for $100  ..at the most..  Likely much less..  A real plants-person offers awesome plants, at great prices everyone can afford.

Pumpkin spice season is coming.