Dimovi

I am unable to identify this Sabal. The seeds are super tiny even smaller than W. filifera.

It is very cold hardy as the recent snow storm in Austin with temperatures down to the upper single digits did not have even the slightest hint of damage while most other sabal (except for minor) got significant foliar damage, the Mediterranean fan palms got defoliated and some were killed and even some Trachycarpus fortunei sustained damage.

1217573620_PXL_20210314_0434043712.thumb.jpg.4b8980ccea71ccae6ec07bf2767a46fa.jpg

The pictures below were taken exactly one year apart, so you can see the growth rate.

Nov 2020

1340444840_PXL_20201118_1632538892.thumb.jpg.b56c18b8a50b76a72e648af1c9203d1b.jpg

Nov 2019

5066293_IMG_20191121_153929109_HDR2.thumb.jpg.2dabbead94c854d65a4284fe6ba83a9d.jpg

• Like 1

Sabal Steve

The leaf structure and coloration at the base of the petioles reminds me of S. Uresana.

Edited by Sabal Steve

Dimovi

Is uresana supposed to be that cold hardy? I can't find much info on it.

Fusca
1 hour ago, awkonradi said:

Unfortunately, I am not too wise.  But, I think Sabal "Riverside" may have seeds like that.

http://www.maderapalms.com/sabal-riverside-palm#:~:text=riverside fruit is smaller%2C and,mexicana.

Interesting.  I have seen conflicting info on 'Riverside' seed size.  This site shows quite small seeds for 'Riverside', but seeds I've collected from the Sabal 'Riverside' at the Arboretum at Constitution Park in Deerfield Beach, FL and also from Sabals being sold in a nursery in Riverside, CA as Sabal 'Riverside' were both large and similar to the size of Sabal mexicana.  @Jerry@TreeZoo might be able to confirm?  Here is a photo of the 'Riverside' at the Tree Zoo I borrowed from Palmpedia.

600px-5655e6a2155b9_photo1%2812%29.JPG.d9ec1a58f7fa3fd3cf728e1c87ae6dd4.JPG

Jerry@TreeZoo
9 hours ago, Fusca said:

Interesting.  I have seen conflicting info on 'Riverside' seed size.  This site shows quite small seeds for 'Riverside', but seeds I've collected from the Sabal 'Riverside' at the Arboretum at Constitution Park in Deerfield Beach, FL and also from Sabals being sold in a nursery in Riverside, CA as Sabal 'Riverside' were both large and similar to the size of Sabal mexicana.  @Jerry@TreeZoo might be able to confirm?  Here is a photo of the 'Riverside' at the Tree Zoo I borrowed from Palmpedia.

600px-5655e6a2155b9_photo1%2812%29.JPG.d9ec1a58f7fa3fd3cf728e1c87ae6dd4.JPG

Actually, the tree in the center of that photo has been identified as Sabal uresana.  The "Riverside" is only half-way in the photo on the left.  It does have larger seed if I remember correctly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jerry@TreeZoo

5655e964ac0e4_photo2%2810%29.JPG.7a2f65fe350c4a69c4c00e22d0163008.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jerry@TreeZoo

Abone you see the riverside on the left, the Uresana on the right and palmetto in the middle.

• Upvote 1

Fusca
2 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Actually, the tree in the center of that photo has been identified as Sabal uresana.  The "Riverside" is only half-way in the photo on the left.  It does have larger seed if I remember correctly.

I do remember the 'Riverside' was misrepresented in the Palmpedia photo.  I recall looking up the palm profile at the hotel shortly after visiting the garden and was surprised to see the same tree I had just collected seeds from (and taken a photo of) on Palmpedia!

Jerry@TreeZoo
On 3/16/2021 at 10:28 PM, Fusca said:

I do remember the 'Riverside' was misrepresented in the Palmpedia photo.  I recall looking up the palm profile at the hotel shortly after visiting the garden and was surprised to see the same tree I had just collected seeds from (and taken a photo of) on Palmpedia!

Hmmmm,  "just collected seeds from".  I don't recall giving anyone permission to collect seeds from it.

JUST KIDDING!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

jimmyt
4 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Hmmmm,  "just collected seeds from".  I don't recall giving anyone permission to collect seeds from it.

JUST KIDDING!

Ha!  That was a good one Jerry!

EastCanadaTropicals

That's an Urseana.

EastCanadaTropicals
On 3/14/2021 at 8:16 PM, Dimovi said:

Is uresana supposed to be that cold hardy? I can't find much info on it.

Yeah, some strains might even be hardier than Palmetto.

awkonradi

An old thread:

Edited by awkonradi
  • Like 1

James760

Sabal Riverside fruit & seed.

20210402_133149.thumb.jpg.ad9cebcf20da3667d2fcaedaab43c92d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Phoenikakias
7 hours ago, awkonradi said:

An old thread:

That's mine!

awkonradi

Hi Dimovi, would you be willing to post some new pictures of this palm?  It would be cool to see some post-freeze pictures of it!

• Like 1

Dimovi
8 hours ago, awkonradi said:

Hi Dimovi, would you be willing to post some new pictures of this palm?  It would be cool to see some post-freeze pictures of it!

Here is what the palm looked like one week after the freeze. I could not see any visible damage of any kind. It is about a bock away from my house where I have two thermometers that registered 10F and under 7F respectively. The palm is not protected by anything. The thermometer with the lower reading is about 10 foot lower in elevation near a creek bed, so I assume the palm experienced temperatures around 8F or 9F.

PXL_20210225_161732176~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210405-102711.png

Screenshot_20210405-102614.png

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Palmy Pal
      By Palmy Pal
      History of Sabal Manteo
      Sabal ‘Manteo’ Is known to be a form of Sabal Minor that originates from Manteo, North Carolina. This special form of Sabal Minor used to grow widespread across Manteo NC but has recently been presumed extinct. There was thought to be a few palms of this form left in the wild but due to development in the area the few plants that were left are now gone. There are no known plants left in the wild of Sabal Manteo. Luckily, a handful of Sabal Manteo were saved from development sites and were planted in a mini garden dedicated to the Manteo form of Sabal Minor. The plants are owned and cared for by a local research center. I was granted permission to collect a handful of seeds from the protected Sabal Manteo plants they own. I am greatly honored to grow these seeds out and introduce this amazing form into cultivation. The mission is to not only get this form into cultivation but also to get it back into the wild in Manteo where it used to thrive in the sandy forestry. 

Growing Information
      Sabal Manteo is a smaller, compact form of Sabal Minor that is thought to be one of the hardiest forms out there. It heavily differs from its neighbor Sabal ‘Cape Hatteras’ in many ways. The palm is a lot smaller than the Cape Hatteras form of Sabal Minor, the fronds are more stiff, and the fronds are more blue in coloration. This form could be even more hardy than the Hatteras form of Sabal Minor since it tends to get more chilly around Manteo. It is clear that this Sabal is a different form from its neighboring Cape Hatteras form due to its small compact size while the Cape Hatteras form is a giant form of Sabal Minor. This form has short petioles with wide stiff blades. The coloration of the fronds on this form is quite stunning. They have a great blue azul tinge to them that is a very noticeable shade of blue. As of now there are no known plants of Sabal Manteo in cultivation. This form is very unique and extremely rare. As of now the handful of plants in the garden are the only plants of this form that exist. 

There is not much if not any information of this form on the internet and I was lucky to gain information about it from the owners of the last Sabal Manteo palms left. There is nothing better to do than share the knowledge of this palm to the public to make more people educated about this amazing form. Hopefully this palm will gain the attention it deserves and become more popular. I hope this form will someday be reintroduced into the wild and thrive like they used to on the island of Manteo. I plan on sending seedlings of this form to experienced palm growers to distribute the form around and to bring it into cultivation big time. With such little conservation efforts such as this case, the plants can be saved from extinction.

Article written by @PalmyPal. All Rights Reserved.
      (Pictures of Sabal 'Manteo' Included)

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      When we moved to Cape Coral 28 years ago, the nearest house on our side of the street was 1/4 mile away. Slowly over the years houses sprouted in the neighborhood until by 2011 when we bought our Garden Lot, only two building lots remained on either side of us. I planted my World Famous Sabal Row in 2009 with various Sabals I germinated to block the view of the abandoned new house to the east of us (remember the Great Recession?) Also, in 2009 I decided to beautify one half of the berm nearest our house on the Isabelle Canal. I planted green and silver Serenoa repens and what would become a very large Sabal (maritima, I think) that I'd germinated myself. We've also added Fakahatchee grass, a Clusia (autograph tree), bottlebrush trees. We knew someday someone would actually build on the end lot even though it faced Osama bin Laden's FL Summer Vacation Compound, aka an LCEC electrical substation.
      Well, that day came bright and early Friday. Dump trucks delivered piles of rubble-infested fill dirt. In the afternoon earth moving equipment arrived to scalp the lot and begin site development in preparation for building and seawall installation. My beautiful landscaping is doomed for destruction on Monday. I'm particularly saddened about the silver Serenoa and that beautiful flowering Sabal. Frankly, I'd rather have the palms than new neighbors but the decision isn't mine.
      I took the following photos of the doomed palms on the berm. Even one of the construction workers lamented the fate of the beautiful Sabal. Join me in wishing these poor palms eternity in Palm Valhalla
      Views of the berm from street side

Doomed Large Sabal (maritima?)

Palm Eating Earth Mover

The only upside to all this carnage is that the earth mover will also eat the detested, invasive 100' Australian pines that infest that lot and drop needles and seed capsules all over our property.

• KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      Okay palm experts I need y'alls opinions.  So I made a post last year after hurricane laura I found a wild palmetto that was uprooted in the storm.  Loaded it out of the ditch, trimmed its leaves and roots up, put it in the ground. It sat dormant all winter. I kept watering it hoping for some new growth.  I marked a line with the sharpie and saw that it grew about a half inch and then stopped completely for months.  It lost its color and started to look like it was going downhill.  So last week I chopped about a foot of the top of the trunk off and there was rot in the growth area when I inspected it.  I cut down to the "healthy" white looking area, sprayed copper fungicide and now there seems to be a little hope. Just wondering what y'all think is going on. Thanks for the help! Also on a side note, one that we found washed up on the beach is growing unbelievably right now. I will attach pictures. Thanks again! 
      Kurt

• CoconutGambler352
      By CoconutGambler352
      Howdy everyone. ( I absolutely love this forum and The people that come with it ) 
      Anyways, I was out and about today with my neighbor. While out riding around, we had went to a part of the county where Sabal Minors are everywhere but anywhere else in the county are few and far . Well I literally can spot out Sabal Minors in the woods, As we're driving by . 
      Long story short, I got myself one that I personally dug out. For as long as I can remember, Sabal Minor has been on the top of my Must Have Palm Tree lists.
      So, here I am, Asking for Advice/Help with the best proper transplanting for said Palm. Basically I do not want this to die. 
      Removing the fronds, would be a good idea? Let the water trickle on it every night until dawn, for how many weeks? 
      Here's the Sabal Minor that I have dug out. Like to get y'all's opinion. 
      Thank you!! Oh and Yes It's currently in my Pond for the protection of the roots,  So that the roots will not dry out/up resulting in a confirmation for dying. 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Yesterday we traveled back to the Fort Myers Palm Park in downtown on Martin Luther King Ave to check on the status of two seeding Copernicias. I also took a few minutes to take photos of other palms.
      Sabal palmetto Lisa x2: These are the wild Sabal Lisas rescued from certain destruction during renovations of I-75 about 10 years ago. The City of Ft. Myers donated space in this palm park where they will live in perpetuity. Notice that the palm on the right holds on to its boots; the one on the left does not. The palm on the left is my avatar.

Dypsis cabadae: very pretty and elegant

Syagrus schizophylla with seeds

Serenoa repens Silver: well trimmed and flowering