IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bizzie in Myrtle

DAVEinMB

This has been in the ground at a local nursery through 2 winters. Interested to see how long it holds on. 

20210226_133615.jpg

20210226_132103.jpg

20210226_132056.jpg

• Like 7

Bet it's a traffic stopper in MB

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Wow! What's the lowest temperature it has seen?

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Bet it's a traffic stopper in MB

To people like us, for sure :D

But it is on the corner of a busy intersection so it gets a lot of exposure. The nursery generally keeps one on hand as well (I think 45 gallon) for anyone who cares to take a gamble. 

16 minutes ago, JLM said:

Wow! What's the lowest temperature it has seen?

24F this year and 24F or 25F last year. It's pretty exposed and is on the north side of their building as well. I'm surprised at how good it looks coming into this spring; not from an ultimate low standpoint but I would think our winters are generally cooler than a bizzie would like. The summer heat must help a lot. 

• Like 2

I have one that has been in ground for probably at least 8 years and it doesn’t seem to mind the cool winter.

9 minutes ago, palmbrad said:

I have one that has been in ground for probably at least 8 years and it doesn’t seem to mind the cool winter.

More gems from Brad haha. Got any pics handy? :D

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

More gems from Brad haha. Got any pics handy? :D

I second this request!

Beccariophoenix alfredii as well as Bismarckia sail through the cool winters. The bismarckia is next to my pond and wetter than it probably wants to be especially in winter.

1DD4B8E7-6211-4946-A0BF-9B383A72C541.jpeg

9A3F5490-9011-45A9-AA4F-6FEF8AD99EE2.jpeg

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, palmbrad said:

Beccariophoenix alfredii as well as Bismarckia sail through the cool winters. The bismarckia is next to my pond and wetter than it probably wants to be especially in winter.

1DD4B8E7-6211-4946-A0BF-9B383A72C541.jpeg

9A3F5490-9011-45A9-AA4F-6FEF8AD99EE2.jpeg

Amazing! How long has the Alfie been there? How many fronds does your Bizzie open in a year? I'm trying one in a warm 8b. I looked at your climate and your avg winter low is 38. Mine is 40. I know we just had a record-breaking cold blast here in Texas, but maybe alfies are worth a shot (I don't want to attempt it here). Pretty crazy you have an Alfie there, anyway (that looks really good!).

Edited by Teegurr
  • Like 1

The alfie has been in ground at least 6 years. The last few years I started keeping pretty good records and wish I had started sooner. I don’t keep track though of how many fronds the bizzie puts out but found a picture I think is from 2011. This winter has been extremely cool and overcast but no problems with either.

9AD610B5-5D40-4653-8A89-DA6FBF4B266D.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, palmbrad said:

The alfie has been in ground at least 6 years. The last few years I started keeping pretty good records and wish I had started sooner. I don’t keep track though of how many fronds the bizzie puts out but found a picture I think is from 2011. This winter has been extremely cool and overcast but no problems with either.

The alfie made it through 2018? That's impressive :greenthumb:

1 hour ago, RJ said:

The alfie made it through 2018? That's impressive :greenthumb:

Yeah the alfie and bizzie both defoliated but no spear pull. They both were covered with blankets without supplemental heat and I recorded 13.7F as my low. No doubt though the snow probably helped to insulate even more on top of the blankets. The bizzie was a clearance special at Home Depot and survived 21F (if memory serves) without protection when it was young. I decided since it showed toughness would protect it through the worst until it was larger. 2018 was the last year I protected and now it’s own it’s own :).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, palmbrad said:

Yeah the alfie and bizzie both defoliated but no spear pull. They both were covered with blankets without supplemental heat and I recorded 13.7F as my low. No doubt though the snow probably helped to insulate even more on top of the blankets. The bizzie was a clearance special at Home Depot and survived 21F (if memory serves) without protection when it was young. I decided since it showed toughness would protect it through the worst until it was larger. 2018 was the last year I protected and now it’s own it’s own :).

That's awesome! I keep ruling out attempting a bizzie until I hear stories like this.

• Upvote 1

I've always wondered how a bismarckia would do in Augusta, but if it does well in Myrtle Beach(and Summerville) maybe it can be tried here.