IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can you verify if my Papaya fruit is okay?

NewB_NewB

Hi,
I have a papaya tree which looks very healthy, and it has many papayas on it.
However, I can see that many of papaya fruits has some kind of disease or insect. 
I attached couple of  pictures. Please check and let me know what it is, and how can I treat.
 think it might be fruit flies.

BTW, do I have to give fertilizer to papaya tree to get more fruits? 
If yes, please let me know what is the best fertilizer for Papaya. Thank you. 

IMG_4945.jpg

IMG_4944.jpg

IMG_4822.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg

IMG_4943.jpg

2 hours ago, NewB_NewB said:

I can see that many of papaya fruits has some kind of disease or insect. 
I attached couple of  pictures. Please check and let me know what it is, and how can I treat.
 think it might be fruit flies.

BTW, do I have to give fertilizer to papaya tree to get more fruits? 
If yes, please let me know what is the best fertilizer for Papaya. Thank you. 

The plants leaves look generally healthy but it looks like the fruit may have developed some mildew or mold.  I am not currently growing papaya, but in the past would see this with some of the fruit particularly the over winter ripening fruit (which occurred more often summer ripening).  Our summer seems to come to an end too early for some of them which is why they hang on over winter and don't start to ripen until we warm up at the end of winter or early spring.  I think there are some varieties that grow better here than others, but only tried what was sold as a "Hawaiian Solo" variety.  Relative to fertilizing, I would say yes it will help but don't expect flowers until spring is in full force and hopefully your plant is a hermaphrodite which will self pollinate. Statistically most are hermaphrodites, but some are male or female which require either a pollinator or a little help from humans.  I found that the best fruit was on a younger plant, and the longer I kept it, the more likely the fruit wouldn't mature properly so I would pull the plant and put in a new one.  I don't know what is the "best" fertilizer formula for papaya but I used the same varieties sold for fruit trees. 

You can do a search either here on Papaya and there are some older posts of flowers to help you identify whether your plant is flowering with hermaphrodite, male or female flowers.  If you don't find it here, just search papaya flowers with your favorite search engine and you will be able to find photos of the different flowers for each of the sexes.

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I've had the same experience as Tracy.  Fruit that would ripen over winter would sometimes rot.  It also wouldn't be as sweet.  I never feed mine and they seem to do well. Not saying that they wouldn't do better if I did though. I did learn early on that they would rot if I watered them close to the trunk. They seemed to prefer to "find" water instead.

• Like 4

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25