IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea Chilensis

SALOttawa

Hello,

I just joined the forum today. I have been growing palms for a few years now, but I have always brought them indoors for the winter. This year I decided to try growing 3 varieties of hardy palms: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Washingtonia Robusta, and Chilean Wine Palms. I bought seeds on eBay. I have found good instructions on the TFs and the WRs, but I haven’t found anything reliable on the Chilean Wine Palm seeds. Has anyone had experience growing these from seeds? Some sites suggest breaking the shell off, while others don’t. I have them soaking in water at the present time and I will be planting them on Friday. I am hoping to get some good advice before then. Thanks in advance,   SALOttawa 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SALOttawa said:

Hello,

I just joined the forum today. I have been growing palms for a few years now, but I have always brought them indoors for the winter. This year I decided to try growing 3 varieties of hardy palms: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Washingtonia Robusta, and Chilean Wine Palms. I bought seeds on eBay. I have found good instructions on the TFs and the WRs, but I haven’t found anything reliable on the Chilean Wine Palm seeds. Has anyone had experience growing these from seeds? Some sites suggest breaking the shell off, while others don’t. I have them soaking in water at the present time and I will be planting them on Friday. I am hoping to get some good advice before then. Thanks in advance,   SALOttawa 

They are very easy seeds to germinate as long as they are fresh.  The batch I did I put them in a community pot with a damp porous mixture of soil and perlite.  Seeds were basically sitting on top of the soil, I covered the container and waited for a month or so with no supplemental heat.  More than 90% germination.

I want to reiterate if they aren't fresh seeds you may have have some difficulties.

• Like 1

Thanks Chester! Is there any way to know whether they are fresh or not? All of them float except for one. Does that have any meaning? Did you break the shell off?

Thanks

1 minute ago, SALOttawa said:

Thanks Chester! Is there any way to know whether they are fresh or not? All of them float except for one. Does that have any meaning? Did you break the shell off?

Thanks

If they sink I have to think its good, I know mine did.  I did not remove the shell, just plopped them in the soil.  I have cracked the outer shell on needle palm seeds that didn't want to germinate and within a couple weeks they germinated. 

I knew who I was getting mine from and that they had just been harvested, so that's how I knew they were super fresh.

I'm no expert when it comes to seed germination, I'm really hit and miss, but I have to say the Jubaea were very easy.

I’ll reiterate what @Chester B said. I bought 20 fresh seeds back in October, and the first one popped above the soil by December. As of today, 18/20 have germinated. 

I sow all my palm seeds in community pots using a 50/50 mixture of peat and perlite with bottom heat. I take them out and pot them up individually as soon as I see them pop above the soil. I also never crack the seeds, seems like an invitation for rot to me. 

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

If they rattle, I crack them open and lay them on sterile medium.  Do not bury them or they will rot.  If they don't rattle, they are fresh and you can just pot them up.  Whatever you do, don't soak in water and then try to crack them because you will damage them.  They need to be loose in the shell for that to work.  I'm assuming since they float that they are dry enough to rattle.  I get near 100 percent by cracking and they germinate real fast.  

jubaea sprout.jpg

seeds1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here's what they look like potted up.  I just let them do what they want so most of the time they push themselves out of the medium, no big deal.

158305637_159923562622006_6818892873401785376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=58c789&_nc_ohc=O54dDTROAQ8AX_c5vKW&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&tp=6&oh=0f9f7b0e83cad026b1ce6872a3451489&oe=606D5E2D

59 minutes ago, Chester B said:

They are very easy seeds to germinate as long as they are fresh.  The batch I did I put them in a community pot with a damp porous mixture of soil and perlite.  Seeds were basically sitting on top of the soil, I covered the container and waited for a month or so with no supplemental heat.  More than 90% germination.

I want to reiterate if they aren't fresh seeds you may have have some difficulties.

That's a good point about no supplemental heat.  Every time I've tried Jubaea with bottom heat or in an incubator, I get zero percent.  Same with Trachycarpus.  I've had horrible luck by heating them.

Sorry. One last question. Some suggest dipping them in a bleach solution. Did you?

5 hours ago, SALOttawa said:

Sorry. One last question. Some suggest dipping them in a bleach solution. Did you?

No.

• 5 months later...

Hi Fallen Munk. I tried to get mine to germinate. It has been 6 months now and nothing. I bought some small bare root Tracey’s from a guy and he mailed them to me. Any chance you’d be willing to do that with a few jubaeas?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SALOttawa said:

Hi Fallen Munk. I tried to get mine to germinate. It has been 6 months now and nothing. I bought some small bare root Tracey’s from a guy and he mailed them to me. Any chance you’d be willing to do that with a few jubaeas?

Yeah sure!  I have 105 seeds on the way from the same seller I always buy from.  If my luck holds true, they usually germinate within three months.  One of the easiest palms I germinate.

Thank you!!! You are awesome! I had no luck with the Jubaea. I did end up with about 50 washys germinating though. I would love to get  3 or 4 Jubaeas growing though too!

Thanks. I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 8:12 PM, Fallen Munk said:

If they rattle, I crack them open and lay them on sterile medium.  Do not bury them or they will rot.  If they don't rattle, they are fresh and you can just pot them up.  Whatever you do, don't soak in water and then try to crack them because you will damage them.  They need to be loose in the shell for that to work.  I'm assuming since they float that they are dry enough to rattle.  I get near 100 percent by cracking and they germinate real fast.  

jubaea sprout.jpg

seeds1.jpg

I'm wondering why your Jubea seeds look like that did you scarify? I got some from the other ebayer they look smooth with a little split on the seam.

Around 30 percent rattled after being stored I was thinking I might crack some, but after soaking a few days they all filled back up.

20210828_135652.jpg

Edited by DallasPalms

Btw the advice I read for sewing was here on pt somewhere. Set them on top of wet coir (after a few days soaking) in hot temps /90s. Repot as they sprout

Edited by DallasPalms

59 minutes ago, DallasPalms said:

I'm wondering why your Jubea seeds look like that did you scarify? I got some from the other ebayer they look smooth with a little split on the seam.

That's what the endosperm looks like when you remove the shell. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 1:04 PM, Fallen Munk said:

Yeah sure!  I have 105 seeds on the way from the same seller I always buy from.  If my luck holds true, they usually germinate within three months.  One of the easiest palms I germinate.

Hey Fallen Munk! Were you able to get any to germinate? Would you still be willing to sell/send me some seedlings? I just bought some more seeds because my other ones still have not germinated. I am soaking my new ones now. I am going to try half without the shell and half with. I will plant them tomorrow. If you are still willing to send me some, spring would be best. I live in Ottawa. We are currently experiencing some extreme cold weather! This morning it was -32 Celcius or -25.8 F, so now would not be a good time.

Also looking for a Jubaea to add to the collection here. 

P.S.,   -28 is not a temperature, it's my weight loss goal for 2022. I can't cope with our minimum of 12 F. Getting too old for this cr/p!

Edited by oasis371
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, oasis371 said:

Also looking for a Jubaea to add to the collection here. 

P.S.,   -28 is not a temperature, it's my weight loss goal for 2022. I can't cope with our minimum of 12 F. Getting too old for this cr/p!

Hahaha!

I collect the Jubaea seeds I have germinated. They were very fresh . I hulled the orange pulp off them and then put them into a communal tray in my greenhouse. Germination was months to years. I obviously have not been as successful as others here but I do have a half dozen Jubaea as some sign of progress. 
 This year I am trying bottom heat, and experimenting with cracking some but mold is inevitable in a wet warm environment. I wish I had the confidence of Fallen Musk about how easy Jubaea were to germinate. . Because I have had some success with putting them in a communal tray in the greenhouse I am still putting some seeds in the old tried and true method.  Ignoring them is the hard part., 

Edited by bruce Steele

@SALOttawa if you ever find yourself on this side of the country I have a bunch of Jub seedlings that wouldn’t mind a road trip to Ontario. 

My sister lives in Ottawa and she was pretty mad at me when I told her it was 8C here today. 

Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

18 hours ago, SALOttawa said:

Hey Fallen Munk! Were you able to get any to germinate? Would you still be willing to sell/send me some seedlings?

I took the shells off a handful when they arrived and those have all sprouted roots, but no strap leaf yet.  The rest of them I left the shells on and they are in an unheated basement so I don't expect any action on them until spring.  I just didn't have the time or patience to take the shells off 100 seeds.

19 hours ago, ShadyDan said:

@SALOttawa if you ever find yourself on this side of the country I have a bunch of Jub seedlings that wouldn’t mind a road trip to Ontario. 

My sister lives in Ottawa and she was pretty mad at me when I told her it was 8C here today. 

It was a bit better today . . . -12 . . . but not 8. Darn! I was there in October. Checked out Vancouver and Victoria before visiting my brother in law in the interior. I saw lots of nice trachies and Cordylines but only one washy. I didn’t see any Jubaeas. Would you mind mailing me some bare root in the spring? How much would you want? Plus shipping of course. Cheers 

1 hour ago, SALOttawa said:

It was a bit better today . . . -12 . . . but not 8. Darn! I was there in October. Checked out Vancouver and Victoria before visiting my brother in law in the interior. I saw lots of nice trachies and Cordylines but only one washy. I didn’t see any Jubaeas. Would you mind mailing me some bare root in the spring? How much would you want? Plus shipping of course. Cheers 

Unfortunately mine are all potted up and a little too big to take out and ship bareroot. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShadyDan said:

Unfortunately mine are all potted up and a little too big to take out and ship bareroot. 

Thanks anyway. Hopefully Fallen Munk can come through for me! Enjoy your mild weather!

On 1/23/2022 at 3:28 PM, ShadyDan said:

It's been quite some time since I last started some Jubaea seeds. Currently zero specimen in my collection.:(

10 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

It's been quite some time since I last started some Jubaea seeds. Currently zero specimen in my collection.:(

Last batch I received from RPS were fresh and I was very pleased with the germination time and %. I think I had 18/20 going in under 3 no that. If the offer fresh seed again I’d probably get more. 

Pretty slow growers now, but I hope once my greenhouse starts getting hot again they will pick up steam. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SALOttawa said:

Rookie here . . Who or what is RPS

https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/

1 hour ago, ShadyDan said:

I used to order seeds from RPS 20 years ago. My last order was held up in quarantine somewhere in Ontario. I spoke to several people (gov't and RPS) over the course of 6 weeks, regarding my situation. I got a different answer with every gov't agent I spoke to. Very frustrating :unsure:. My last inquiry regarding the lengthy quarantine resulted in the agent stating "The seeds where released and should arrive in several days." What? I was glad to finally have the order sent, but no one could give me any answers to why they where held for 6 weeks. Did someone screw up? Did the seeds magically meet requirements? :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I used to order seeds from RPS 20 years ago. My last order was held up in quarantine somewhere in Ontario. I spoke to several people (gov't and RPS) over the course of 6 weeks, regarding my situation. I got a different answer with every gov't agent I spoke to. Very frustrating :unsure:. My last inquiry regarding the lengthy quarantine resulted in the agent stating "The seeds where released and should arrive in several days." What? I was glad to finally have the order sent, but no one could give me any answers to why they where held for 6 weeks. Did someone screw up? Did the seeds magically meet requirements? :rolleyes:

Sounds like someone in the government screwed up (surprise surprise). Sometimes I wonder how some of these employees get on through their career without having a clue. I've looked into this before, and the legislation states:

Importing small quantities of seed (<500 grams) into Canada does not require any special documentation / permits provided that the seeds:
- Are not considered noxious weeds (none of these are)
- Are clearly labelled in their individual packages 

So unless you ordered a shit-ton of seeds or something invasive there should have been no reason to hold them up at the border.

@Scott W sucks for those that have had issues for sure, but I have never had problems. Just my 2 cents here... but I think I have ordered 4 times from them and the packages usually come in a reasonable amount of time, considering they are coming from Germany to the West Coast of Canada. The last shipment was a little slow, but so was all the mail due to Covid. Some species I've ordered have had less than stellar germ rates (never 0), but I've been ordering things only under their "New" heading now. My last batch (now that I know how to germinate palms properly and I'm not a N00b) I have started to make note of germination rates and #s:

- S. minor -> most/1,000 seeds with 2 months... had too many seedlings I gave a bunch away.
- R. hystrix ->17/20 germinated within 3 months
- J. chilensis -> 18/20 germinated within 3 months
-B. yatay -> ~60/100 germinated, some still germinating almost a year later.
-C. humilis -> ~80/100 germinated within 6 months.
- A. americana protoamericana -> ~70/100 within 1 month... again i gave a bunch away

Whenever possible, I would prefer / I do order from people I know through this forum or Facebook to really guarantee freshness. I just wish more you Yankees were willing to ship seeds across the border!:P
  • Like 2

Thanks. That’s great information! What about seedlings or straps or whatever you call them? Can they be shipped across the border?

48 minutes ago, SALOttawa said:

Thanks. That’s great information! What about seedlings or straps or whatever you call them? Can they be shipped across the border?

I don't think so, not without a phytosanitary certificate. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

Here is mine in Dallas 20 years after planted from seed

62036A5B-A788-41DB-BF04-EA4EEC3CB426.jpeg

Beautiful jubaea. You also have a nice yatay x jubaea too correct? I’d love to see that now. I’ve got two babies. 

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 1