IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea Chilensis

SALOttawa

30 minutes ago, TonyDFW said:

My yatay x Jubea died last year at 3F

Damn, that was growing nicely and looked great!!!

Thanks for sharing and sorry to hear they didn't make it. What a beautiful palm. Did you have a (pure) Jubaea and did it survive? Was there any protection involved?
:)

2 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

So sorry!  That was my favorite hybrid on this forum.

2 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

BB2F3B7E-E578-4D18-9739-11C7D3CBAA53.jpeg

Oh no, So sorry. That palm was literally the reason I ordered 2 of them! It was gorgeous. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

So sorry for your loss. 

Wow! That’s too bad! I hope you find another one. We sure don’t have any up here :(

so the pure jubaea survived?

Edited by SALOttawa

8 hours ago, TonyDFW said:

I’d love to buy another replacement. Does anyone know where one is for sale?

Patrix on his last list has/had Jubaea x yatay, Jubaea x purpuracens and Jubaea x microcarpa.

Nothing listed for Yatay x Jubaea though ....

11 minutes ago, Scott W said:

Patrix on his last list has/had Jubaea x yatay, Jubaea x purpuracens and Jubaea x microcarpa.

Nothing listed for Yatay x Jubaea though ....

I just bought two Yatay x Jubaea from him last week. Pretty sure they’re still on the list. 

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

I just bought two Yatay x Jubaea from him last week. Pretty sure they’re still on the list. 

His list is just his liner list and there was no Yatay x Jubaea on that list, so he possibly  doesn't have them listed and has them in a larger size.

Screenshot_20220128-114317.png

Edited by Scott W

1 hour ago, Scott W said:

His list is just his liner list and there was no Yatay x Jubaea on that list, so he possibly  doesn't have them listed and has them in a larger size.

Screenshot_20220128-114317.png

This is list I got looks like just a couple weeks later, I ordered 2 Yatay x jub as liners. And Got em no prob.  

CF055F2A-BBE6-4633-9227-B932752E85D7.png

• Like 2

Just now, NWpalms@206 said:

This is list I got looks like just a couple weeks later, I ordered 2 Yatay x jub as liners. And Got em no prob.  

Well there ya go, riddle solved!!! Thanks!

1 minute ago, Scott W said:

Well there ya go, riddle solved!!! Thanks!

He said there was no jub x yatay available, but then I asked again a couple weeks later. (Cuz I’m persistent lol) and like Magic they appeared! And in 3x9” slightly bigger and hopefully past it’s “finicky” stage.  I’m sure he has quite the operation going and hard to keep inventory of everything. 

• Like 1

This year I collected from a Jubaea that has double and triple endosperm within each shell. I cracked some of them and I am starting to see some roots appear. It took one month on a heat pad that runs 85F ( thanks FallenMunk) in the daytime and then it cools to 65F ,room temperature, at night.  I have treated them with hydrogen peroxide a couple times. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 3:28 PM, ShadyDan said:

Unfortunately mine are all potted up and a little too big to take out and ship bareroot. 

@ShadyDanif you're still open to part with any of yours I'd love to give them a good home on the gulf islands - I could buy a couple off of you next time I pass through Nanoose Bay (probably April).

• Like 1

I also end up with mould issues with seeds, especially with Chilensis, but also sometimes with TFs and washy seeds I using the baggie method. I would love to find a solution.

Jesse,  I am not sure the peroxide is the right thing to do but when I saw some mold I treated that seed with 3% peroxide. The germination I got was fast but the mold problems were mostly after those first few germinated and nothing has germinated since. 
I only cracked a few seeds and I have about a hundred with their shells still waiting to start their roots. I got impatient and cracked one to see if it was still viable and it was. Here is a picture. I did not treat the Jubaea in their shells. 
I have read that fungicides impede germination so I am not sure how to deal with mold. Has anyone tried using a black light  ( UV )  to control mold ?  
https://extension.unr.edu/publication.aspx?PubID=3243

image.jpeg

Jesse,   As soon as I saw germination I took the germinated seed and potted them.  I did not cover the seeds with plastic or try to increase moisture in the potted seed. They are doing well and mold issues subsided . 

image.jpeg

You read online that Jubaea don't like humidity but I'm a slow learner.  I had a couple seedlings in my growbox, including a Jub x yatay from Patrick, and they all suffered brown frond tips.  So I would definitely not do anything to increase the humidity for them.  Not covering with plastic is probably the right call. 

• Like 1

Jesse, “ I am not sure the peroxide is the right thing to do. “

Well I got several more seeds that germinated today. About seven weeks on the heat pad . These are cracked Jubaea seeds that had been treated with 3% peroxide once or twice if they showed any mold . If they get too moldy I chuck them but if they just show a spot of mold I rinse them in peroxide. 
Starting with a potting mix that is sterilized is also a good idea. 
When I do this again next year I will use peroxide when I need to.  
Today when I potted the newly germinated seeds I used a q-tip to spot apply some copper fungicide liquid. Some of the seed was still nice and never did show mold but I kept all these seeds under moist enough conditions that the baggies showed condensation. I did leave the baggies partially open the whole time and added water if things started drying out. 

On 2/25/2022 at 7:31 AM, SALOttawa said:

I also end up with mould issues with seeds, especially with Chilensis, but also sometimes with TFs and washy seeds I using the baggie method. I would love to find a solution.

Stop using the baggie method.  They need to breathe.  

For anybody germinating Jubaea, do not bury them.  I just lightly set them of top of very loose soil.  No mold or rot.  

jubaeaseedling.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

For anybody germinating Jubaea, do not bury them.  I just lightly set them of top of very loose soil.  No mold or rot.  

jubaeaseedling.jpg

I did the same. Almost every seed germinated and no heat required. 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 9:54 PM, Chester B said:

I did the same. Almost every seed germinated and no heat required. 

Who'da thunk? :bemused: Cool. If I ever try them again, I'll know what to do. Thanks for that tip @Fallen Munk & @Chester B

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 1:16 AM, TonyDFW said:

Oh no that are really bad news! 

I haven't been on the forum for quit a while and just wanted to look for updated pictures of the larger yatay x jubaeas that are around.  So sad. 

Here is mine. The pictures were taken on different days as you can see. 

IMG_20220109_162805.jpg

IMG_20211214_130248.jpg

IMG_20220101_143753.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, maesy said:

Oh no that are really bad news! 

I haven't been on the forum for quit a while and just wanted to look for updated pictures of the larger yatay x jubaeas that are around.  So sad. 

Here is mine. The pictures were taken on different days as you can see. 

IMG_20211214_130248.jpg

Looks like it’s still fattening up. How wide is the trunk would you estimate? I’m curious what these will look like once they start to go vertical.

• Like 1

Me too I can't wait to see it growing upwards. The stem is 14 inches wide and the palm has an over all hight of seven feet. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have an update. I planted about 2 of my crates full of these late fall (30 Jubaeas). Over the winter i had minimal space and had to put some plants on top of this container... I noticed a few weeks ago i had maybe 5-10 more that sprouted... I thought... I'll get to it when it warms

And then we passed the last frost and the weather forecast turned spring. i started moving plants around and bam.

All of them I think

20220329_091127.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

After years of also trying to sprout  Jubaea Chilensis with limited success , I began to use the following germination method -

After soaking the seeds for three days, I placed them in a clear plastic food container , containing damp sphagnum moss. Then it was placed on a regulated seed heating mat. About a month later, I saw my first sprouts :

9lLE8X.jpg

o8ulgd.jpg

G7dpmZ.jpg

7J6aIC.jpg

NRylZd.jpg

But even with this method, my germination was not 100 percent, actually, it was quite erratic , and that may also have to do with the quality of my the Jubaea seed sources.

I agree with what an earlier poster said, the more fresher the seeds, the better the germination.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe twenty years ago someone thought” this will make a nice street planting”.  I haven’t ever seen one planted this way but it is nice to see one in Lompoc. It is just starting to go up at around 5ft. of trunk.

image.jpeg

• Like 5