SALOttawa

Jubaea Chilensis

SALOttawa

Hello,

I just joined the forum today. I have been growing palms for a few years now, but I have always brought them indoors for the winter. This year I decided to try growing 3 varieties of hardy palms: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Washingtonia Robusta, and Chilean Wine Palms. I bought seeds on eBay. I have found good instructions on the TFs and the WRs, but I haven’t found anything reliable on the Chilean Wine Palm seeds. Has anyone had experience growing these from seeds? Some sites suggest breaking the shell off, while others don’t. I have them soaking in water at the present time and I will be planting them on Friday. I am hoping to get some good advice before then. Thanks in advance,   SALOttawa 

Chester B
15 minutes ago, SALOttawa said:

Hello,

I just joined the forum today. I have been growing palms for a few years now, but I have always brought them indoors for the winter. This year I decided to try growing 3 varieties of hardy palms: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Washingtonia Robusta, and Chilean Wine Palms. I bought seeds on eBay. I have found good instructions on the TFs and the WRs, but I haven’t found anything reliable on the Chilean Wine Palm seeds. Has anyone had experience growing these from seeds? Some sites suggest breaking the shell off, while others don’t. I have them soaking in water at the present time and I will be planting them on Friday. I am hoping to get some good advice before then. Thanks in advance,   SALOttawa 

They are very easy seeds to germinate as long as they are fresh.  The batch I did I put them in a community pot with a damp porous mixture of soil and perlite.  Seeds were basically sitting on top of the soil, I covered the container and waited for a month or so with no supplemental heat.  More than 90% germination.

I want to reiterate if they aren't fresh seeds you may have have some difficulties.

• Like 1

SALOttawa

Thanks Chester! Is there any way to know whether they are fresh or not? All of them float except for one. Does that have any meaning? Did you break the shell off?

Thanks

Chester B
1 minute ago, SALOttawa said:

Thanks Chester! Is there any way to know whether they are fresh or not? All of them float except for one. Does that have any meaning? Did you break the shell off?

Thanks

If they sink I have to think its good, I know mine did.  I did not remove the shell, just plopped them in the soil.  I have cracked the outer shell on needle palm seeds that didn't want to germinate and within a couple weeks they germinated. 

I knew who I was getting mine from and that they had just been harvested, so that's how I knew they were super fresh.

I'm no expert when it comes to seed germination, I'm really hit and miss, but I have to say the Jubaea were very easy.

Jimhardy

Welcome.

ShadyDan

I’ll reiterate what @Chester B said. I bought 20 fresh seeds back in October, and the first one popped above the soil by December. As of today, 18/20 have germinated. 

I sow all my palm seeds in community pots using a 50/50 mixture of peat and perlite with bottom heat. I take them out and pot them up individually as soon as I see them pop above the soil. I also never crack the seeds, seems like an invitation for rot to me. 

Fallen Munk

If they rattle, I crack them open and lay them on sterile medium.  Do not bury them or they will rot.  If they don't rattle, they are fresh and you can just pot them up.  Whatever you do, don't soak in water and then try to crack them because you will damage them.  They need to be loose in the shell for that to work.  I'm assuming since they float that they are dry enough to rattle.  I get near 100 percent by cracking and they germinate real fast.  

jubaea sprout.jpg

seeds1.jpg

Fallen Munk

Here's what they look like potted up.  I just let them do what they want so most of the time they push themselves out of the medium, no big deal.

158305637_159923562622006_6818892873401785376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=58c789&_nc_ohc=O54dDTROAQ8AX_c5vKW&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&tp=6&oh=0f9f7b0e83cad026b1ce6872a3451489&oe=606D5E2D

Fallen Munk
59 minutes ago, Chester B said:

They are very easy seeds to germinate as long as they are fresh.  The batch I did I put them in a community pot with a damp porous mixture of soil and perlite.  Seeds were basically sitting on top of the soil, I covered the container and waited for a month or so with no supplemental heat.  More than 90% germination.

I want to reiterate if they aren't fresh seeds you may have have some difficulties.

That's a good point about no supplemental heat.  Every time I've tried Jubaea with bottom heat or in an incubator, I get zero percent.  Same with Trachycarpus.  I've had horrible luck by heating them.

SALOttawa

Thanks again. I hope mine do as well as yours. Thanks everyone 

SALOttawa

Sorry. One last question. Some suggest dipping them in a bleach solution. Did you?

Fallen Munk
5 hours ago, SALOttawa said:

Sorry. One last question. Some suggest dipping them in a bleach solution. Did you?

No.