IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Options are Increasing...

DAVEinMB

My buddy was working on a landscaping job today and came across some more unique options (for MB) while picking up sod. Sooo i had to go look for myself :D. Some really nice looking Livistona Decora as well as some Phoenix Sylvestris. I really hope this trend continues. 

Pics below

20210310_161045.jpg

20210310_161030.jpg

20210310_160521.jpg

20210310_160544.jpg

20210310_161105.jpg

• Like 9

Livistona decora should be planted more.  My decora survived 22f/23f during this past arctic blast Texas got without any damage.

• Like 1

Sweet baby Jesus I wish so badly to have some Sylvesters in my front yard. Those are all gorgeous 

But I'm just so afraid of the investment in an 8b climate zone. I'd never be able to relax during the winters

Edited by floridaPalmMan

Dave those are some real beauties... if he sanpped the pics at a retailer.  can i have the na,me.. ill be sure to say who sent me.. thanks

3 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Livistona decora should be planted more.  My decora survived 22f/23f during this past arctic blast Texas got without any damage.

I planted a 5g from @TexasColdHardyPalms this past spring and didn't protect it this winter. Lowest it saw was 24f with a handful of nights in the 20s. Doesn't seem to care at all. Was a very wet winter as well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, floridaPalmMan said:

Sweet baby Jesus I wish so badly to have some Sylvesters in my front yard. Those are all gorgeous 

But I'm just so afraid of the investment in an 8b climate zone. I'd never be able to relax during the winters

I completely understand, that's the roll of the dice with marginal palms. I would venture to say 8b Florida would suit a Sylvester tho

2 hours ago, parsons acre said:

Dave those are some real beauties... if he sanpped the pics at a retailer.  can i have the na,me.. ill be sure to say who sent me.. thanks

Big daddy's on 707

46 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

I completely understand, that's the roll of the dice with marginal palms. I would venture to say 8b Florida would suit a Sylvester tho

It all depends on whether or not that ' new climate zone' thread is accurate and northern florida is now in fact zone 9a.

I'd still be on edge during the winters but Id actually believe in the possibility of a few long term sylvesters here

12 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

I planted a 5g from @TexasColdHardyPalms this past spring and didn't protect it this winter. Lowest it saw was 24f with a handful of nights in the 20s. Doesn't seem to care at all. Was a very wet winter as well

There are some large ones around Lake Murray that have been there for years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJ said:

There are some large ones around Lake Murray that have been there for years. 

I remember seeing a post on here showing a pretty big one at the Columbia zoo as well. If they can get to maturity in and around Columbia you would think they'd be solid on the coast

3 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

I remember seeing a post on here showing a pretty big one at the Columbia zoo as well. If they can get to maturity in and around Columbia you would think they'd be solid on the coast

There is a good sized decora at the zoo. It's in a nice microclimate.  Most consider Columbia an 8b, although it certainly isn't official. Around the lake is considerably milder then the outskirts. Lake murray bottoms out temp wise in the upper 50's. My folks live on the lake and have only seen 28 this year once. 

Livistona decora should be planted in place of Washingtonias imo. It’s a more attractive palm and just about as hardy. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

Livistona decora should be planted in place of Washingtonias imo. It’s a more attractive palm and just about as hardy. 

Amen. And it is not prone to fusarium wilt. Because it is dioecious it is less apt to pepper your yard with seeds/seedlings. I have five adult decoras and none have yet to grow a viable seed.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.