Sign in to follow this  
ktd1990

Indoor palm help

ktd1990

Hi

I recently bought a butterfly palm and starting to get black tips on the leaves can anyone help? 

PXL_20210310_071957449.jpg

Philly J
4 hours ago, ktd1990 said:

Hi

I recently bought a butterfly palm and starting to get black tips on the leaves can anyone help? 

PXL_20210310_071957449.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  Around here Latin names are used because there are so many regional nick names given to various palms that it’s hard to keep track that way.  You have a Dypsis Lutescens.  Without any more information about your potting medium, feeding schedule and location in your home it’s difficult to determine the cause.  Are those damaged leaves desiccated or still soft? 

JohnAndSancho

Personally I'd snip off the black and wait for new growth and/or further demise 

PalmatierMeg

Welcome to PT. Photos of the whole palm and the mix it is potted in will help. I suspect your soil mix is heavy, dense ordinary black potting soil that doesn't drain well and that you are overwatering the palm. Dypsis lutescens does not like to be overwatered. You should probably repot it in a well-draining, coarse garden soil and add perlite for extra drainage. Water only when top 1" of soil is dry. Never let the pot sit in a tray of water.