IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mazari Palm anyone?

Gator

Nannorrhops ritchiana ( yes i did copy and paste that so i got it right )

or the Mazari Palm....lowkey a mystery?

Native to arid high elevation Iran/Afghanistan

...little rain... cold winters...hot summers....

Uhhh this is screaming Utah to me

Have anyone in  high elevation desert tried one of these?

I would be curious to see how these fared in Utah of course, but New Mexico,  western slope Colorado

Northern AZ, Nevada....?

I was 2 shakes of a lambs tail from buying some seeds off ebay yesterday and trying them.

Anybody with info hit me up

-The Gator

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

They’ll take zero to slightly negative temperatures in a dry climate. There’s different variations but I think the higher elevation Afghan form is the hardiest. 

These took rain, then  6*F, ice, and snow in Texas a few weeks ago. This picture was 2 weeks after. 

7C183E6C-2B86-4C12-A912-E87D0A12E1C3.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Gator said:

I would be curious to see how these fared in Utah of course, but New Mexico,  western slope Colorado

Northern AZ, Nevada....?

I was 2 shakes of a lambs tail from buying some seeds off ebay yesterday and trying them.

-The Gator

I think I bought from the source you are referencing over the weekend, hopefully they are the more cold hardy variation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

They’ll take zero to slightly negative temperatures in a dry climate. There’s different variations but I think the higher elevation Afghan form is the hardiest. 

These took rain, then  6*F, ice, and snow in Texas a few weeks ago. This picture was 2 weeks after. 

Impressed with how good the Neobuxbaumia look in that picture. Would not have thought they were that hardy.  Made it to single digits at the John Fairey Botanical Graden; correct?

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

9 minutes ago, Austinpalm said:

Impressed with how good the Neobuxbaumia look in that picture. Would not have thought they were that hardy.  Made it to single digits at the John Fairey Botanical Graden; correct?

Yeah, the Neobuxbaumia in the dry garden and near the house showed minimal damage after nights of 10*F and 6*F. The older ones near the parking lot looked kind of rough prior to the cold front , probably due to wind exposure. Supposedly some of those fell over.

98F87634-73A6-4DBE-A0F3-183ADB03CE41.jpeg

• Like 4

I think these are the same palms from a year ago, in the first picture. And also a few of the really nice blue Ritcheana elsewhere in the gardenfile.php?id=63799file.php?id=67898file.php?id=67897file.php?id=67896file.php?id=67899

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Gator said:

Northern AZ, Nevada....?

-The Gator

From what I know these are pretty slow growing palms.  Save yourself a few years and order a few liner size palms from @TexasColdHardyPalms

14 minutes ago, Chester B said:

From what I know these are pretty slow growing palms.  Save yourself a few years and order a few liner size palms from @TexasColdHardyPalms

I’m not sure if he has much left, but you can ask. They are slow growing and they also don’t like wet soil in cold weather as seedlings. I’ve lost several and learned to bring them into the garage during the winter. Once they are beyond that stage I haven’t had a problem.

I sold a lot of mazari to a guy in utah last year. He bought about 100 of them along with filifera. Nannorhorps are one of the few palms that did ok for us. I'll have a comprehensive list of species and photos in a few months after everything shakes out.

• Like 4

I live in a weird microclimate that gets near-record-cold like 20x a winter but never much colder.  Mine has seen 26F a bunch of times this winter unphased.  Supposedly they’ll survive <0 if your climate is dry.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 1:29 PM, Gator said:

Iran/Afghanistan

and pakistan

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have the less cold hardy cousin, Nannorrhops Arabica from Iran. I might be testing it's limits here in the High Desert of California zone 8b. I think Mesquite Nevada area & St. George Utah area would be a nice test for Nannorrhops Arabica too.

20200820_000047.thumb.jpg.59abe0f7359e2d9cb88efbb5e5f6340c.jpg

Nannorrhops Arabica (Iranian Silver) in the forefront.20200929_094051.thumb.jpg.46745ac16b23b68adc661202a36a555d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

On 3/10/2021 at 1:59 PM, Meangreen94z said:

I don't know how well they would handle our humidity.   Even in San Antonio, filiferas need to be sited with good drainage.  A larger lot or strictly xeriscape lot might be able to handle them, but your typical lot with oaks,  Imported broadleaf evergreens (like viburnums etc) , St. Augustine turf, perennials like crinum lilies etc would probably probably put this palm at risk.   

My agave victoria were severely damaged in this freeze.  They were unscathed in New Mexico's 2011 freeze.   I attribute the damage to my agaves due to humidity issues.  I've had them 10 years and they've been fine, although the bed is xeric, it has rosemary, mountain laurel weeds,  lantana, organic leaf mulch, crowded plants etc.

The garden pictured above appears desert.  (I know it's in Austin...we have our own desert garden at San Antonio Botanical Garden...)

Edited by PricklyPearSATC

19 hours ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

I don't know how well they would handle our humidity.   Even in San Antonio, filiferas need to be sited with good drainage.  A larger lot or strictly xeriscape lot might be able to handle them, but your typical lot with oaks,  Imported broadleaf evergreens (like viburnums etc) , St. Augustine turf, perennials like crinum lilies etc would probably probably put this palm at risk.   

My agave victoria were severely damaged in this freeze.  They were unscathed in New Mexico's 2011 freeze.   I attribute the damage to my agaves due to humidity issues.  I've had them 10 years and they've been fine, although the bed is xeric, it has rosemary, mountain laurel weeds,  lantana, organic leaf mulch, crowded plants etc.

The garden pictured above appears desert.  (I know it's in Austin...we have our own desert garden at San Antonio Botanical Garden...)

Nannorhorps love water. Theyll survive with minimal water but theyll grow very fast with it. 

• Like 2