IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Could a queen palm grow in Julian, Ca

Aidandp

I dont see any palms on google maps there, so probably not. Im not very familiar with California climate, so someone from that area could give much better input. Welcome to PT!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 hour ago, Aidandp said:

Just wondering, according to plantmaps it is zone 8b-9a

Most likely not.  Yall are high up there and I know you get some fairly significant snows on occasion.

You could probably try a Brahea species - armata or something.  You might have luck with that.

possibly California is dry cold

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

1 hour ago, climate change virginia said:

possibly California is dry cold

They get a bunch of snow there in the winter. I guess maybe when it gets REALLY cold it's usually dry?

I would definitely think they don't have a chance long term. The fact there's snow up at that elevation alone says a lot. I went up there years ago in the winter and it was a high of 40 with snow on the ground. I believe queens wouldn't make it through that kind of cold without bud damage and fungal issues. 

• Like 1

Probably not long term but you could probably get 10-15 years? I'm zone 8b in the High Desert & your winter average lows are higher than mine, so that's a plus! We have Queens in the area ( Victorville, Hesperia) that have been around almost 10 years & 1 I know personally survived 2007 temperature of 12-13f. 

Palmdale & Lancaster (zone 8b as well ) have a ton growing there too.

Snows not really an issue per se. We get a dusting & up to an inch or 2 every year with significant amounts every 5-10 years. 

Just plant in a sunny spot, especially where they get morning sun on winter days. 

I just realized your 1000ft higher than me... I still think you could get some years growth but you lack extreme heat durning summer which would allow you more optimal growth to push through winter. Just an observation. 

Edited by James760
  • Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

I'm looking at the radar and it's snowing there now and supposed to also tomorrow with a low of 24. Even a mule would have a better chance but in the mountain areas like that I would stick with ultra cold hardy palms or grow nice looking pines.

• Like 1