IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea edulis

Vic

This isn’t one you see planted much in the U.K., people seem to prefer the slower growing B.armata for some reason? But I think these are around the same regarding leaf hardiness and certainly much hardier. I planted this one as a seedling in 2007 in my parents north Kent garden, and it has 4ft trunk now and has never been protected. The lowest it has seen in the time was around -11c and it suffered no damage, but it clearly benefits by being close to the house. 

I’d be interested if anyone had these planted in Teax and how they may have fared in the recent cold spell?

D4AD0C02-BAEE-4E55-9CDA-F8225979DAA6.jpeg

• Like 4

I would say Brahea armata has more interesting color - silver/blue and it is hardier. It reminds us of bismarckia.  I would give it a try if I can find a protected spot in my garden z8B - PNW. 

• Like 1

Edulis are reportedly hardier in the PNW than armata, they fair better with cool wet weather.  I've been trying to get a hold of a decent sized one forever.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Edulis are reportedly hardier in the PNW than armata, they fair better with cool wet weather.  I've been trying to get a hold of a decent sized one forever.

They are easy and fast enough from seed if you can’t find a good size one. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vic said:

They are easy and fast enough from seed if you can’t find a good size one. 

Good to know, but I'd like to skip a few years, I don't have forever...

2 hours ago, Vic said:

This isn’t one you see planted much in the U.K., people seem to prefer the slower growing B.armata for some reason? But I think these are around the same regarding leaf hardiness and certainly much hardier. I planted this one as a seedling in 2007 in my parents north Kent garden, and it has 4ft trunk now and has never been protected. The lowest it has seen in the time was around -11c and it suffered no damage, but it clearly benefits by being close to the house. 

I’d be interested if anyone had these planted in Teax and how they may have fared in the recent cold spell?

D4AD0C02-BAEE-4E55-9CDA-F8225979DAA6.jpeg

Wish I could pass on an interesting tidbit or bit of knowledge but not much to say.  I had this in Austin for a couple of years as seedling.  It did grow ok, It survived 17f as seedling, but it did not transplant well when I moved to South Padre Island and is no more.  It passed before the arctic invasion hit.  I have seen some good sized individuals (10 feet of trunk maybe) in a palm field over by Harlingen.  Would like to get another as I have seen them in San Diego, where they are nearly native and do very well.  They are similar to Washingtonia but different and slower so they do not become a telephone pole (as some people complain about W. robusta) as quickly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

4 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

it did not transplant well when I moved

Same experience with armata when I moved from Brenham to Corpus.  I think all the Brahea do not like to be transplanted.  My B. calcarea was small enough to dig before the freeze, but I was afraid the transplant would kill it.

• Upvote 3

Jon Sunder

5 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

Wish I could pass on an interesting tidbit or bit of knowledge but not much to say.  I had this in Austin for a couple of years as seedling.  It did grow ok, It survived 17f as seedling, but it did not transplant well when I moved to South Padre Island and is no more.  It passed before the arctic invasion hit.  I have seen some good sized individuals (10 feet of trunk maybe) in a palm field over by Harlingen.  Would like to get another as I have seen them in San Diego, where they are nearly native and do very well.  They are similar to Washingtonia but different and slower so they do not become a telephone pole (as some people complain about W. robusta) as quickly.

I always think this. For the life of me I can never tell these from a Washingtonia when I’m driving past quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 11:31 PM, ahosey01 said:

I always think this. For the life of me I can never tell these from a Washingtonia when I’m driving past quickly.

As for differences with W. robusta: the B. edulis does not retain the persistent skirt of leaves below the crown, giving a more tidy appearance.  Also B. edulis' leaves terminate in a noticeable triangular shape toward the outer edge. 

• Like 2

On 3/8/2021 at 4:52 PM, Chester B said:

That's very encouraging to me. I live in North Florida and have year-round humidity to contend with. I just received some B. edulis seeds from California and hope they will sprout and develop into something.  Any advise on sprouting B. edulis seeds and subsequent cultivation tips for Florida locations?