Palmlover_78

Three's a crowd

Palmlover_78

Hey Guys , Would it be possible to separate a 3 gallon potted Christmas Palm tree easily of one roughly this size?

Thanks a lot :D

tri palm.jpg

PalmX

@Rickybobby has a youtube video where he used a hacksaw to just slice right down the middle between the rootball. They look to be doing fine months later in follow up videos.

His were a bit older though and not as close because it was only 2 trunks.. That one is pretty young and very close together. 

Edited by PalmX

Ben in Norcal

Just cut whatever trunk you don't want down to the base.  Separating palms seldom goes well IMO - best case scenario is substantial set back.

gtsteve

If you are going to do it use a hose, tease them apart and the sooner the better.

I think that you could do it, but I have not done it with those palms.

NOT A TA

I've done it. NO DIRECT SUN for several months afterward. Best way with the one in the pic is to remove from growers pot then wash away soil. Repot (or plant where it's warm enough) and keep well watered.

• Like 1

Rickybobby

Yes it worked well for me. Went from 3 in a 7 gallon to 1 in a 5 gallon. The last one has bee. Great for almost a year like this and indoors

SALOttawa

Hey Rickybobby, I saw a post from you on another thread that you had a local nursery that sold palms. Where are you in Ontario? I am from Ottawa and am actively searching for some palms. Thanks