Sign in to follow this  
JohnAndSancho

Patio Squad

JohnAndSancho

Quick vid of the patio squad in a little shower. Lots of new growth popping up. Lots of new spears opening. 

• Like 1

JohnAndSancho

A few leaves opened while I was at work today!

Butia x L. Weddellanium Hybrid starting to open. 

Spindle palm opening. 

Groot's crooked curvy frond opening normally despite me thinking something was wrong. 

Queen Elizabeth's 2nd pinnate frond is opening. 

Not pictured are the c. Plumosa and Dirty Sanchez the Washy since those 2 ALWAYS have something opening. Pluomosas are getting fatter, too. 

Message_1626306687841.jpg

Message_1626306707619.jpg

Message_1626306734569_2.jpg

Message_1626306658987.jpg

• Like 1

ZPalms

Is your washie in the pot for life or do you plan on planting it one day?

JohnAndSancho
On 7/16/2021 at 8:27 PM, ZPalms said:

Is your washie in the pot for life or do you plan on planting it one day?

Eh, if i ever get a house. 

• Like 1

JohnAndSancho

JohnAndSancho

No pics or videos today but I did sprinkle some stinky organic fertilizer on my C. Benezeii (I think I'm gonna name that one Hulk), Queen Elizabeth, my D. Lutescens, one of my Tuckerii seedlings, and a few others. Rearranged things so I can see Spindly Bob because I dig the orange colors. 

It's wild to look at how much these things grow within a span of a week or 2. Hulk has started to push another new frond while still pushing a new inflourescence, Groot Jr looks like he's gonna be as tall as Dirty Sanchez and Queen Elizabeth by the end of summer, and he desperately needs a bigger pot. Maybe Sunday I'll swap pots with him and Felix, the overpotted C. Cataractarum that I was ready to chuck into the dumpster a few months ago. C. Plumosa is just going wild, still in the nursery pot - 

On an unrelated note, I've got a few neighbors who've decided that my patio is a great place to come have an after-work beer before the mosquitoes show up. I'm here for it. 

Edit: and of course there's a random thunderstorm coming since I watered everything. 

• Like 2

JohnAndSancho

Ok. Here's a night pic of Tiny Jungle. 

If I ever clean my apartment I'll do a video of the Indoor Squad. 

Message_1627439669294.jpg

• Like 3

Philly J

Goodnight from Regina Saskatchewan :asleep:

52992EDC-C23A-4223-8A01-C6D01CFF6213.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

JohnAndSancho

I'm a bad plant dad. I caught covid again and everything got neglected. 

Message_1630018298442.jpg

• Like 1

DCA_Palm_Fan

Love it!   They all look great and healthy!   What zone / area do you live in?   I started  in earnest with my palms / tropicals  about 15 or so years ago when I lived in the Washington D.C. area.   I  didn't even have a little patio like you.  I had a small stoop, and a small "yard" enclosed by shrubs  outside of my semi basement apartment.   I had that place looking like Florida with all the palms and large bananas I had.    Small beginnings.   

• Upvote 1

JohnAndSancho
11 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Love it!   They all look great and healthy!   What zone / area do you live in?  

I'm between Houston and Dallas 

• Like 1

JohnAndSancho

I really need to do another update but my patio and apartment are so messy. Lost a lot of fronds, Groot just got a major haircut due to so many dried out fronds from neglect when I was sick. Queen Elizabeth is probably 5' from the soil now, Spindle palm blows over every time it rains. And I'm in the middle of a pine forest so basically the patio is covered in pinestraw and LECA. 

Seedlings all look great. C. Elegans babies are dead. 

JohnAndSancho

Didn't get everyone, got an error been I tried to make a YouTube video. So here's what's what with as many pics as my phone would do. Also blasted everyone with Stink Water. 

Groot, the Majesty, first palm I bought, looks like crap. All the new growth he put on lately went to the dumpster likely due to neglect with me having covid again. Funny that Groot Jr does nothing but grow, my various seedlings do nothing but grow, but I also had to cut a few fronds from Dirty Sanchez 

I'll try.to get an actual video this weekend. Anyways here's this. 

Also Queen Elizabeth is a freaking unit

20210911_221759.jpg

20210911_221741.jpg

20210911_221715.jpg

20210911_221702.jpg

20210911_221649.jpg

20210911_221641.jpg

20210911_221635.jpg

20210911_221627.jpg

• Like 2

JohnAndSancho

No pics or video this update since I stirred up a bunch of spiders and mosquitoes. Meh. 

A few pots needed soil added due to settling/decomposition/a spindle palm that falls over if a wind any stronger than a baby fart comes through. 

Did some significant culling of the $10 L. Chinesis I bought in the spring. It's been on my patio for months and I was kinda shocked that seeds were still popping. I cut out most of the tiny guys that I knew weren't gonna make it anyway - there's 3 or 4 bigger guys there that look like beefy, so I made room for them.  

Killed a bunch of spiders 

Killed some more spiders 

Drank a couple beers

Killed another spider 

Stabbed myself on the Robusta 

Good times.