IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Patio Squad

JohnAndSancho

Everyone got fed with filtered water, a drop of Super thrive, and 1/3 strength Alaska Fish Emuslion today minus the seed pots. They got water and positive reinforcement. 

L. Chinesis, D. Lutescenens, c. Cataractarum, Queen Palm, 2 Majesties, a C. Macrocarpa that I'm not sure is still alive, and W. Robusta that I finally took the Xmas lights off of. Probably gonna restring the Xmas lights tonight just because I'm bored. 

Message_1615068597472.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, amh said:

It's a good start, but I can see daylight between the plants.

Happy gardening.

I have 6 more in the office and 12 more inside. Here's my office window. 

Message_1614879098078.jpg

Edited by JohnAndSancho
Pic
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Washie seems to be throwing a new frond every week. Every time one opens there's another one right behind it. 

Both of my r. Rivularis are pushing new spears with a new one opening too, even though my first one is still kinda yellow. It's funny, the older one is more spread out and bushy and the new one is more tall. 

And my "big" d. Lutescens pot seems to be a lot happier outside. It's still showing lots of shipping damage from UPS apparently playing soccer with it, but the newer growth looks good. 

And the c. Cataractarum that I was ready to yeet into the dumpster is finally looking healthy. It's probably overpotted, I figured it would grow like my inside Cat is when I bought it. 

Queen is still growing and c. Macrocarpa hasn't done anything at all, i still think it's dead but it still has some green in its leaf *shrug*

20210321_174719.jpg

20210321_174757.jpg

20210321_174850.jpg

20210321_174649.jpg

• Like 1

John they look great my friend.  Jealous that you can get your outside already!  I’m looking at early May now boooo! Lol

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Philly J said:

John they look great my friend.  Jealous that you can get your outside already!  I’m looking at early May now boooo! Lol

Thanks homey :shaka-2:

The first round of snow we got, i left the Washy outside. He's in a 15gal pot and kinda heavy so i used one of the little wheeled dollies we use for the trash cans at work when the big storm came :floor: it gets really cramped in my tiny apartment when i have to bring them all in. I dread moving. 

Pushed Queen Elizabeth into the corner of the stairs for more light and rain. She's gained a lot of weight so I'm guessing she's getting rooty in her pot while she's showing little visible growth. 

Message_1616469915207.jpg

• Like 4

I tell all the delivery services to look for the palm trees 

Message_1616884469555.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

My Washy (robusta) literally does nothing but throw new fronds and stab me. 

20210503_214408.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Born said:

My squadron.

556B6C41-4347-4EDF-9D06-4CB9BDDE54AD.jpeg

Team Robusta :shaka-2:

Lots of stabbing and poking there 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Patio squad really seems happy with the high temps, high humidity, and metric crap tons of rain we had lately. Older fronds on Queen Elizabeth look raggedy from the wind but that new spear has grown at least 6" in a week. C. Plumosa is looking amazing, wish I bought more of those. 

Also the inflourescences on the Benezeii dried out so I cut them off and it thanked me with another new spear pushing out. Stuck some c. Elegans outside because they were drawing fungus gnats in their baby pots. 

20210512_183657_2.jpg

20210512_183647.jpg

20210512_183827_HDR_2.jpg

20210512_183726_2.jpg

20210512_183631_HDR.jpg

20210512_183620.jpg

20210512_183936.jpg

20210512_183838.jpg

20210512_183858.jpg

20210512_182010.jpg

• Like 3

I think Dirty Sanchez is gonna need a bigger pot. Everyone says Robustas don't need tons of water, but he sure seems to enjoy it. He gets a full gallon 2 or 3 times a week and it seems like the soil is bone dry minutes later. 

I mounded up the loose soil around the base due to exposed roots, but I kept uncovering more little roots. And decomposing leaves. And pinestraw. I already know there's gigantic tap roots in the water reservoir(bottom watering pot). I'm not trying to slow his growth, I'm gonna ride this out until I get a note from my apartment manager. 

Groot is starting to get some green back, but he's still short and bushy as opposed to Groot Junior's tall bushiness. 

20210515_195226.jpg

20210515_195254.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Philly J said:

Patio represent!!! 

IMG_0504.MOV

My stupid phone only played the music. 

Wait yooooo opened with a different app and I'm vibing hard! Were those some beastly C. Plumosa on the left?

And in the middle? 

You, sir, are amazing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

My stupid phone only played the music. 

Wait yooooo opened with a different app and I'm vibing hard! Were those some beastly C. Plumosa on the left?

Seifrizii on the left.  :wub:

10 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

And in the middle? 

You, sir, are amazing. 

I’m happy to be on this journey with you palm brother, you sir are amazing :greenthumb:

Seifreziis are on the bucket list. It just turns out that Benezeii and Plumosas were on sale the week I had extra money. Both are growing crazy on my patio though so I'm cool. 

Seriously though, I'm feeling so many good vibes both personally and plant wise from that. Reggae and palms are totally soothing, and if you can grow those gorgeous palms way up there I should be able to grow anything here - as long as I don't plant anymore sprouted seeds upside down 

20210512_183657_2.jpg

20210512_183631_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought one Chamaedorea cataractarum.  I was going to buy two but decided on just the one.  @JohnAndSancho do you think I could get both male and female plants from this one pot given that there are so many palms?

20210516_071230.jpg

20210516_071215.jpg

20210516_071220.jpg

@Reyes Vargas is it lots of little ones? These sucker like crazy. My 2 are single plants. My outdoor one is tiny and keeps looking sickly, my indoor one just keeps growing. 

• 2 weeks later...

A.  Tuckeri seedlings from PalmatierMeg showed up a day early. The roots were actually waaaaaaay too long to use the @Fusca style super fancy Taco Cabana and Popeyes planters I was gonna use, so I picked out a nice one to potentially plop in the office window and put the others in some old nursery pots. 

We've had A LOT of rain lately, and despite my best efforts to dump all the standing water out of the bottoms of my planters and everything else, the lid of my orange bucket full of soil was apparently the site of a huge mosquito orgy, and boy were they angry when I dumped the water off of it. I've got some nasty welts on my arms and legs from those little bastards. 

Anyway I got these new green homeys potted up, watered them in with my "stink water" fish fertilizer and SuperThrive, and as soon as I get done.... There's a thunderstorm. So I hope these like water. I'm gonna finish my beer now. And @Reyes Vargas pics below. 

Message_1621902792913_2.jpg

Message_1621904379742_2.jpg

Message_1621904401199.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

A.  Tuckeri seedlings from PalmatierMeg showed up a day early. The roots were actually waaaaaaay too long to use the @Fusca style super fancy Taco Cabana and Popeyes planters I was gonna use, so I picked out a nice one to potentially plop in the office window and put the others in some old nursery pots. 

We've had A LOT of rain lately, and despite my best efforts to dump all the standing water out of the bottoms of my planters and everything else, the lid of my orange bucket full of soil was apparently the site of a huge mosquito orgy, and boy were they angry when I dumped the water off of it. I've got some nasty welts on my arms and legs from those little bastards. 

Anyway I got these new green homeys potted up, watered them in with my "stink water" fish fertilizer and SuperThrive, and as soon as I get done.... There's a thunderstorm. So I hope these like water. I'm gonna finish my beer now. And @Reyes Vargas pics below. 

Message_1621902792913_2.jpg

Message_1621904379742_2.jpg

Message_1621904401199.jpg

Those are some nice healthy looking root system.  Mine will have a smaller root system since I bought small seedlings.Screenshot_2021-05-24-20-33-05-1.png.c34efc50966e700c9f268925a79f32ed.png

I was pleasantly surprised at the roots on these. The only downside is, now I'm out of potting mix lol. 

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

You need to order the 40 oz drink for those seedlings!  :P  Looking good!

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

7 minutes ago, Fusca said:

You need to order the 40 oz drink for those seedlings!  :P  Looking good!

I've got a few of those cups, but these were way too rooty 

I hope those Tuckeri REALLY like water. One of my community pots didn't drain nearly as well as I thought it did, and they were up to their leaves in rainwater. The Majesties, C. Plumosa, and Queen are loving it - we've had at least 15" of rain in the last week or so. 

Tiny Jungle is going nuts with the high humidity and 90° temps 

Message_1622155116201.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good John!  Seattle was freezing and rainy all day :(, perhaps in another life I'll get to grow palms outside haha.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Groot is pushing his first dark green leaf in a looooong time - I fertilized the crap out of him and fished some debris (pinestraw and a couple tiny pieces of perlite) out of the growing point. It's the smallest leaf since I bought him (12/19) but I'll take it. 

Dirty Sanchez just doesn't stop growing. It's almost funny to look at him and see the little tiny frond that had just opened up when I bought him, compared to all the fronds he's throwing almost weekly. 

My small C. Cataractarum (Felix) can't decide if he wants to live or die, apparently he wants to live now. Something about 15" of rain pulled him out of his depression. 

My still unnamed L. Chinesis ($10 supermarket pot) has been so completely ignored and neglected and keeps pushing - I'm going to hate myself when it's time to split all the little seedlings up. 

Butia x L. Weddellanium and Queen Elizabeth love their spot in the sun - I do move the hybrid when it rains as I was advised to keep it dryer. 

C. Benezei seems to be pushing out another influence as well as a new spear opening. 

Not pictured but Groot Jr is pushing himself up out of his 10" pot, C. Plumosa is just exploding, D. Lutescens may eventually recover from the abuse by UPS last year, and my fresh A. Tuckeri seedlings def didn't get potted deep enough. 

The only thing that's throwing me off is, all of my outdoor palms have what looks like tiny little ants running around sporadically. I'm not sure if they're coming from my neighbors plants, or if they just came upstairs to get away from all the rain we had last week - but everyone got blasted with some insecticidal soap just in case the ants are here on business. 

@Rickybobby said it best - palm trees='calm trees.

I do need to pick up some more soil and get some indoor and outdoor palms repotted - and give the Tuckeri more room to keep growing.

Message_1622500352574.jpg

Message_1622500383330.jpg

Message_1622500410249.jpg

Message_1622500429391.jpg

Message_1622500466109.jpg

Message_1622500544753.jpg

Raining in the Tiny Jungle while I wait for the Cubs game to start 

20210603_184746.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Queen Elizabeth pushing her 2nd pinnate frond, while the first one keeps getting taller. 

Groot is green again, and he's shaded by Groot Junior and Dirty Sanchez. 

Aforementioned Dirty keeps on trucking. I dread having to pot him up. 

A. Tuckeri seedlings seem jealous about everyone else being taller, so they're trying to get on the same level. 

C. Plumosa are going bananas. They are loving the heat and swampy humidity here. 

Even my super neglected "meh" purchase L. Chinesis is happy. I culled lots of brown and yellow strap leaves. Guess I should water it more so it can get big and make me miserable when it's time to split up the dozens of seedlings in that pot. 

C. Benezei and some tiny C. Elegans, nothing spectacular but they're green and growing. 

Message_1623884521915.jpg

Message_1623884571594.jpg

Message_1623884663326.jpg

Message_1623884705627.jpg

Message_1623884743638.jpg

Message_1623884765988.jpg

Message_1623884800629.jpg

Message_1623884845363.jpg

• Like 1

Felix, the c. Cataractarum that I threatened to chuck in the dumpster, has 2 inflourescences. Can the experts tell me what gender Felix is, and if it'd be feasible to try and hybridize it with the Benezeii if Felix is a dude? 

20210618_174011_HDR.jpg

18 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Nice patio calm trees 

Thank you sir. :shaka-2:

Queen Elizabeth is an absolute unit. She's taller than Dirty Sanchez at this point, and a lot less stabby. 

It's only June, and she's a pinnate rocket now. 

Message_1624498133596.jpg

• Like 1

So, literally watered everything an hour ago since the weather app said 12% chance of rain. Went to grab my laundry out of the dryer and it starts to sprinkle. As soon as I set my laundry hamper down, Forrest Gump rain. 

20210627_182007.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brought Spindly Bob home from the office due to awful gnat problems from cheap soil. He seems to like the patio more than the office. Gonna let him and @DoomsDave's surrogate children get some rain. 

20210708_184405.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1