IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Patio Squad

JohnAndSancho

Quick vid of the patio squad in a little shower. Lots of new growth popping up. Lots of new spears opening. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

A few leaves opened while I was at work today!

Butia x L. Weddellanium Hybrid starting to open. 

Spindle palm opening. 

Groot's crooked curvy frond opening normally despite me thinking something was wrong. 

Queen Elizabeth's 2nd pinnate frond is opening. 

Not pictured are the c. Plumosa and Dirty Sanchez the Washy since those 2 ALWAYS have something opening. Pluomosas are getting fatter, too. 

Message_1626306687841.jpg

Message_1626306707619.jpg

Message_1626306734569_2.jpg

Message_1626306658987.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/16/2021 at 8:27 PM, ZPalms said:

Is your washie in the pot for life or do you plan on planting it one day?

Eh, if i ever get a house. 

• Like 1

No pics or videos today but I did sprinkle some stinky organic fertilizer on my C. Benezeii (I think I'm gonna name that one Hulk), Queen Elizabeth, my D. Lutescens, one of my Tuckerii seedlings, and a few others. Rearranged things so I can see Spindly Bob because I dig the orange colors. 

It's wild to look at how much these things grow within a span of a week or 2. Hulk has started to push another new frond while still pushing a new inflourescence, Groot Jr looks like he's gonna be as tall as Dirty Sanchez and Queen Elizabeth by the end of summer, and he desperately needs a bigger pot. Maybe Sunday I'll swap pots with him and Felix, the overpotted C. Cataractarum that I was ready to chuck into the dumpster a few months ago. C. Plumosa is just going wild, still in the nursery pot - 

On an unrelated note, I've got a few neighbors who've decided that my patio is a great place to come have an after-work beer before the mosquitoes show up. I'm here for it. 

Edit: and of course there's a random thunderstorm coming since I watered everything. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ok. Here's a night pic of Tiny Jungle. 

If I ever clean my apartment I'll do a video of the Indoor Squad. 

Message_1627439669294.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a bad plant dad. I caught covid again and everything got neglected. 

Message_1630018298442.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Love it!   They all look great and healthy!   What zone / area do you live in?   I started  in earnest with my palms / tropicals  about 15 or so years ago when I lived in the Washington D.C. area.   I  didn't even have a little patio like you.  I had a small stoop, and a small "yard" enclosed by shrubs  outside of my semi basement apartment.   I had that place looking like Florida with all the palms and large bananas I had.    Small beginnings.   

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Love it!   They all look great and healthy!   What zone / area do you live in?  

I'm between Houston and Dallas 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really need to do another update but my patio and apartment are so messy. Lost a lot of fronds, Groot just got a major haircut due to so many dried out fronds from neglect when I was sick. Queen Elizabeth is probably 5' from the soil now, Spindle palm blows over every time it rains. And I'm in the middle of a pine forest so basically the patio is covered in pinestraw and LECA. 

Seedlings all look great. C. Elegans babies are dead. 

Didn't get everyone, got an error been I tried to make a YouTube video. So here's what's what with as many pics as my phone would do. Also blasted everyone with Stink Water. 

Groot, the Majesty, first palm I bought, looks like crap. All the new growth he put on lately went to the dumpster likely due to neglect with me having covid again. Funny that Groot Jr does nothing but grow, my various seedlings do nothing but grow, but I also had to cut a few fronds from Dirty Sanchez 

I'll try.to get an actual video this weekend. Anyways here's this. 

Also Queen Elizabeth is a freaking unit

20210911_221759.jpg

20210911_221741.jpg

20210911_221715.jpg

20210911_221702.jpg

20210911_221649.jpg

20210911_221641.jpg

20210911_221635.jpg

20210911_221627.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

No pics or video this update since I stirred up a bunch of spiders and mosquitoes. Meh. 

A few pots needed soil added due to settling/decomposition/a spindle palm that falls over if a wind any stronger than a baby fart comes through. 

Did some significant culling of the $10 L. Chinesis I bought in the spring. It's been on my patio for months and I was kinda shocked that seeds were still popping. I cut out most of the tiny guys that I knew weren't gonna make it anyway - there's 3 or 4 bigger guys there that look like beefy, so I made room for them.  

Killed a bunch of spiders 

Killed some more spiders 

Drank a couple beers

Killed another spider 

Stabbed myself on the Robusta 

Good times. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Bumpity bump bump 

Cold front coming in, windy. 

Zen. 

Bro I’m glad you’re back, indoor squad and patio squad are some of my favorite threads! :shaka-2::greenthumb:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Bro I’m glad you’re back, indoor squad and patio squad are some of my favorite threads! :shaka-2::greenthumb:

I appreciate the vibes. I'm still here, just working 6 1/2 days a week now. Takes a lot out of you mentally. Sancho will still show up in most of my vids, and now that YouTube lets me add music this could be fun. 

Side note, Spindly Bob seems a lot happier indoors and may link up with Office Squad now that I've got a new maintenance dude at work and shouldn't have to hoard crap in my office. Still looking forward to the $9.99 palms at Kroger in the spring :floor:

• Like 2

No update due to my phone at 10% but most of these green jerks are vibing with 70° days and 50° lows

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 8:56 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

I appreciate the vibes. I'm still here, just working 6 1/2 days a week now. Takes a lot out of you mentally. Sancho will still show up in most of my vids, and now that YouTube lets me add music this could be fun. 

Side note, Spindly Bob seems a lot happier indoors and may link up with Office Squad now that I've got a new maintenance dude at work and shouldn't have to hoard crap in my office. Still looking forward to the $9.99 palms at Kroger in the spring :floor:

Yes sir!!! I’ve got to get my potted palm game in order this year hopefully. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2022 at 10:17 AM, teddytn said:

Yes sir!!! I’ve got to get my potted palm game in order this year hopefully. 

I've got tons of 1 and 2g pots to fill, and I'm gonna have more. I should probably pull the trigger on some of the crazy aloe plants in my Etsy cart. 

Here's a shot of my queen and Butia x L. Weddellanium from May compared to today. Totally wish I had a yard lol. 

Message_1622500466109.jpg

Message_1646517792128.jpg

• Upvote 2

I've got tons of 1 and 2g pots to fill, and I'm gonna have more. I should probably pull the trigger on some of the crazy aloe plants in my Etsy cart. 

Here's a shot of my queen and Butia x L. Weddellanium from May compared to today. Totally wish I had a yard lol. 

Message_1622500466109.jpg

Message_1646517792128.jpg

Damn bro looking solid!! Wow imagine what they’ll look like in June!!

• Upvote 2

Video update 

Those juvenile Chamaedorea plumosa (looks like 4 in the pot) are straight dope.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

18 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

Those juvenile Chamaedorea plumosa (looks like 4 in the pot) are straight dope.

Yep, there's 4. I don't think I'll ever split them up because their trunks are so thin. Wish I bought more of these.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This has gone from "let's add some life to this apartment," to a hobby, to a job :floor:

After moving 15 or so pots in and out of my apartment due to cold snaps, now I need to move them inside again due to a tornado threat tomorrow night. 

I think Walker County should use Patio Squad as sort of a "Waffle House" index to determine bad weather - those of y'all in the south will get that reference lol 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

This has gone from "let's add some life to this apartment," to a hobby, to a job :floor:

After moving 15 or so pots in and out of my apartment due to cold snaps, now I need to move them inside again due to a tornado threat tomorrow night. 

This is my life 5 months a year, but with a lot more pots. Real back breaker for anyone older than 10.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, amh said:

This is my life 5 months a year, but with a lot more pots. Real back breaker for anyone older than 10.

I've at least learned to bring them in before the rain hits. My apartment has these fake wood vinyl floors and when the last storm hit, I slipped and fell and broke a rib. 

1 minute ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I've at least learned to bring them in before the rain hits. My apartment has these fake wood vinyl floors and when the last storm hit, I slipped and fell and broke a rib. 

ouch!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, amh said:

ouch!

Then I got to make an 1100 mile round trip road trip to Mississippi after my mom had a stroke, then I get back to half of my employees going out for various reasons, plus my old truck getting vandalized. It's ok, I still can vibe with Sancho and my palms. 

6 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Then I got to make an 1100 mile round trip road trip to Mississippi after my mom had a stroke, then I get back to half of my employees going out for various reasons, plus my old truck getting vandalized. It's ok, I still can vibe with Sancho and my palms. 

Priorities. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I peel back the dead frond bases and this jerk (Chamaedorea Benzeii) is trying to flower again. 

I'm renaming this one Sancho Jr due to it's consistent horniness. 

Phil has these on sale again but I really need to spend my money on bigger pots and fresh soil. Tempted to see how it'd do in #OfficeSquad because it's basically a turnstile into my apartment. These are allegedly the largest chamaedorea and math seems to check out so far. 

The struggle is real. 

Message_1649118626086.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/6/2021 at 6:24 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

They got water and positive reinforcement

And

On 3/27/2021 at 6:44 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

I tell all the delivery services to look for the palm trees 

Lol,  good ones!  Thanks for the Saturday morning laugh:)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, piping plovers said:

And

Lol,  good ones!  Thanks for the Saturday morning laugh:)

That's what I'm here for. I talk to my palms. I hug my palms that are huggable. And yes, my apartment is a landmark for Doordash etc - even my neighbors tell their drivers they're 4 doors down from the palm trees now 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

April 2022 update @Philly J @teddytn @PsyPalm and the one other person that watches my videos :floor:

https://youtu.be/cadxy3-Uh9M

Noooo! Dirty no lol. Might have called it when you said you had pine trees overhead, might need some more sun? 
Killing it bro, flowering palm trees in pots is a good sign :shaka-2::greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Noooo! Dirty no lol. Might have called it when you said you had pine trees overhead, might need some more sun? 
Killing it bro, flowering palm trees in pots is a good sign :shaka-2::greenthumb:

I'll move his big spiny ass into the sun. He's been doing so well for a year and a half tho :(

I'm hesitant to squirt h202 into his grow hole just because he's already so soggy

• Like 1

I did stuff today. I didn't do a whole lot because the humidity is brutal. But I did stuff. 

Whoever said to wear a mask when dumping perlite, thank you. 

Also, literally everything is rootbound except for the freshly sown seeds. So I guess I need to buy more pots than I realized. 

• Like 1

Too late to edit, but I hope this wasn't a bad idea. I also added a little 4-4-4 palm food and some slow release fertilizer into today's re-pots. 

I noticed the same thing about the A. tuckeri very rooty, Queens too, Others like Royals and Hurricane (Dictyosperma album) not nearly as much. Maybe we should start a rootyness scale thread in the container forum? :-) I guess its easy enough to slip it out of the liner for a look. 

• Upvote 1