IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tis' the season for cactus.. 2021: The upstaging newbie, and Winds of change

Silas_Sancona

With the Beavertails and Scarlet HedgeHog close to flowering, the 2021 cacti flowering season is off to a good start. After some recent additions to the collection, one is further elevating it's already attractive status with crowns of flowers, well ahead of the typical season opener, Mammillaria ( Syn. Mamilopsis senilis ) which looks like it will be late this year.

As attractive as Mammillaris perezdelarosae already is -out of flower- For a small cacti, a Halo of flowers only add to it's appeal, and they're fragrant, up close as well. Been pollinating each " set " as they open, hoping i'll get fruit/seed from one or both. Appears i have both the lighter, cream-flowered variety, and the variant w/ pinker flowers.  Cream flowered specimen seems to be the more robust of the two, at least for now.. Still young plants.
377075772_Mammillariaperezdelarosae1.thumb.JPG.9ded6c403d362738962a434a399eff7d.JPG

1332334553_Mammillariaperezdelarosae2.thumb.JPG.590eb9bca6c229e9234dd4000b5f6fdd.JPG

Been trying to find other stuff that will add more flowers to the collection during the summer gap between the spring show, and fall finale. Goal is to eventually have various Orchids and Cacti flowering at the same time/season. Tracked down a couple, may add a couple more before the move.

Mammillaria longimamma var. longimamma:  Solitary at first, but can form impressive colonies at a relatively quick pace once settled in.  Flowers, typically produced on and off from May-August are among the largest for the Genus ( to about 2" across.. esp. this subspecies.. < there are 2>  ), bright Yellow, and supposedly scented like Lemons. Can be propagated from detaching/rooting offsets, seed, or by cutting off one of the Tubercles and allowing it to dry for a day or two, then rooting.
DSC01443.thumb.JPG.c297db4aa4f2fda92db0e9a3b7df1180.JPG

First try with any of the Coryphantha..  Coryphantha sulcata. Some keep it as it's own species, other sources lump it in with another sp. Regardless, commonly called "Pineapple Cactus " and a native of Texas. Strongly resembles.. -and could be confused with- Escobaria missouriensis but with individual stems in the clump remain more upright, less " pancake like " in form. Flowers, produced on and off during the summer,  are large, burnt yellow orange ( pictured on the tags in the upper left of each picture ), often with a darker red center. Pair i picked up are supposedly from seed collected off specimens at the northernmost extant of the species range and are supposedly quite cold hardy.. not that that will too big of a concern in California. Protecting from winter rain may be however..

The one sticking point w/ Coryphantha is they can be tricky when potting up.. Too much water at first, or during the winter, and they can easily rot. Eyeballing these two carefully until i know they're settled in and growing.
343811074_Coryphanthasulcata2.thumb.JPG.d64f6e2f10f47018aa591c0a63316b03.JPG

1196564055_Coryphanthasulcata.thumb.JPG.b3a916e319ca2ea219c5b8c8e79c2aaf.JPG

Noticed the " next in line to flower " Stenocactus sp. is budding up quickly while working on getting the yard/plants cleaned up after the big wind storms we've had showered the last of the to be shed leafstalks off the Mesquite over everything, and ahead of packing up everything and heading toward a new horizon.

Will be interesting to see what decides to flower this spring considering i'd moved everything i had in it out of the shade house last summer when i took it down, and to keep stuff from frying. Where they have sat since then might have been a tad too shady through the winter to coax certain things to flower.. but we'll see. 

Of more interest will be witnessing what sort of effects trading scorching hot and bone dry  for warm, occasionally hot ...but not quite as dry, humidity-wise has on the collection once closer to the coast.  Protection from winter rainfall, at least for some of the Echinocereus, is likely going to be the one thing i make sure is provided there.. Echinopsis/Trichoceri should love it.

In the meantime, until it's time to head out.. Tis' the season,  Enjoy!
DSC00996.thumb.JPG.8735a0e0f504cff9f80ddef7fdaee3ad.JPG

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Echinocereus triglochidatus ( or coccineus ) caught in the act of opening it's first flower of 2021 while weeding/ getting an idea of when to start the final clean up of the front yard.:
DSC01472.thumb.JPG.98f797eaa87625985e8a7be423625a0a.JPG

Echinocereus russanthus X " Cattail Falls " starting to awaken ( budding flower starting to break through the epidermis, just below the point end of the feeding tongs )
DSC01459.thumb.JPG.1817d4c1ee844f6b475930ff0f843d36.JPG

Stenocactus sp.. getting closer to flowering..
DSC01457.thumb.JPG.fcb5ae2de7ee0ed754d7806670dbc0f2.JPG

A final look at this year's spring wildflowers, as they start fading out.. for the heck of it..

Despite the lack of rain this winter, not a bad show this year .. just shorter ..in height and length of time. Some CA. Poppies out there this year, but the Orange African Daisies ( Dimorphotheca aurantiaca ) are the show stealers this year.
DSC01412.JPG.932bf5754a87069c75b754ba05125726.JPG

DSC01413.thumb.JPG.610935de136035cd7b44df0617e648b7.JPG

Desert Chicory, Rafinesquia neomexicana started from seed collected out east of Florence last year.. Not the greatest looking plant in a pot.. Species has a tendency to grow up through other plants next to it. Kind of rambles in a container if nothing is near to lean on.
DSC01469.JPG.47499827a65234092a227d63cd55d1b5.JPG

Another good sign spring warmth is kicking in when the Colorado 4 O' Clock, Mirabilis multiflora awakens from dormancy.. May be old enough to flower this year ( Have heard the species can take 2-3 years to flower from seed ) Beet red color of emerging new growth is a good clue what order of plants 4 O' clocks belong to, the Caryophyllales. All Cacti belong to the same order as well..
DSC01462.JPG.86e60646b4722184c2a4a65469d89aa0.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Wonderful to see all these flowers. Here we are again suffering from colder temps so no flowers in sight. The cacti will need another month or more. I grow an Echinocereus triglochidatus with absolutely same flowers than yours for many years outdoor and it still survives.

The only coming flowers will be from various cytisus hybrids but these produce amazing colours.

Eckhard

• Like 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

12 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

Wonderful to see all these flowers. Here we are again suffering from colder temps so no flowers in sight. The cacti will need another month or more. I grow an Echinocereus triglochidatus with absolutely same flowers than yours for many years outdoor and it still survives.

The only coming flowers will be from various cytisus hybrids but these produce amazing colours.

Eckhard

Thanks, 

That particular Echinocereus has been the most reliable bloomer of all the ones i have.. Kind of surprised it has tolerated the heat here so well also since the species usually grows at slightly higher/ cooler elevations,  at least here in Arizona.. Wish it was self-fertile though. ( Is what is considered a functional Female specimen.. Ie:  Can be pollinated by another plant, but does not produce viable pollen itself.. Some species can be both while others produce male/ female flowers only ) Regardless, have roughly half a dozen offsets i have rooted from it.

Cytisus used to be quite popular in California a few decades ago but most, inc. supposedly sterile crosses, turned out to be extremely aggressive and spread rapidly into native habitats there. Might be just a couple that you'd occasionally see for sale in nurseries out there now.  Fantastic plant for spring color though, esp. some of the crosses/hybrids.

• Like 1

Also for me the Echinocereus triglochidatus is the most reliable bloomer, besides the Opuntia pheacantha "Orangeade". This winter one of my planted Opuntia imbricata died a slow death. I assume it already started last winter as the plant didn't look happy last summer but I don't know why. It's brother/sister kept inside a pot is still alive even if it had the same conditions except being potted.

But this creates space for some more Yuccas, Agaves and Cacti. And there are soo many seedlings waiting..... But damned I cannot stop collecting them. I need more seeds :yay:

Eckhard

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Palmensammler said:

But this creates space for some more Yuccas, Agaves and Cacti. And there are soo many seedlings waiting..... But damned I cannot stop collecting them. I need more seeds :yay:

Eckhard

Oh trust me, lol.. Once you've caught the bug, you're done.. Just surrender :bemused::D  I'd thought i was done adding a few last minute cacti before the move, ..until a spring catalog from a specialty nursery showed up in the mail last week. 8 more on the way:blink:  Don't even get me started about seed, collected from my own plants.

Hi Nathan,

I`m already infected since 1992 when we made our "Honey Moon Trip" to Florida. This was the first time I picked up palm seeds from a private garden.  Nowaddays the plants changed a little bit as I need to grow them mostly outside like Yucca , Agave and Cacti and a few Trachies, most of them are hybrids.

Looking at palms I'm in love with Chamaedorea palms since my wife and I visited Costa Rica.  I try to collect as many different ones as possible. Unfortunately seeds are rare.

Eckhard

• Like 1

Escobaria, Corypantha, and especially Echinocereus are such lovely little plants. If I lived somewhere cooler and drier I would no doubt have a rock garden and an obsessive collection of them. I tried a few in the ground at my parent's place in Ohio a few years ago but the winter and spring rains are unforgiving in that region, seems like only Opuntia can survive without extra protection. 

Edited by aabell
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aabell said:

Escobaria, Corypantha, and especially Echinocereus are such lovely little plants. If I lived somewhere cooler and drier I would no doubt have a rock garden and an obsessive collection of them. I tried a few in the ground at my parent's place in Ohio a few years ago but the winter and spring rains are unforgiving in that region, seems like only Opuntia can survive without extra protection. 

It's ironic that i really didn't get hooked ( pun intended, lol ) by any of these until moving here, though i'd heard of a few in the past. A specialty grower in Colorado used to post pictures of various Echinocereus/ crosses he was doing on a Facebook page he'd had.. Never thought cacti flowers on typical cactus plants could be as exotic as Orchids until i'd glare at all the drool-worthy images he'd post, and see some of our native Echinocereus in flower out in the desert.. That's when i set out to build up a collection of these types, beyond just Echinopsis, Trichocereus.. and some of the really small " flowery " cacti from South America i'd grown... While i like columnar types.. and " Jungle Cacti " ( Epiphyllums, etc.. ) Whats nice about many of the smaller types like those you mention is they can easily fit almost anywhere and, for the most part, do well in containers which is nice for anyone w/ limited space. If you plan out your personal collection just right, you can have lots of color nearly year round too. 

I think in places like Ohio, you'd have to create a raised bed that is nearly 100% grit/gravel, then pick those cacti that might already be plenty cold tolerant but might also tolerate the extra rainfall well. Not easy i'd imagine, but they're out there.

2 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Hi Nathan,

I`m already infected since 1992 when we made our "Honey Moon Trip" to Florida. This was the first time I picked up palm seeds from a private garden.  Nowaddays the plants changed a little bit as I need to grow them mostly outside like Yucca , Agave and Cacti and a few Trachies, most of them are hybrids.

Looking at palms I'm in love with Chamaedorea palms since my wife and I visited Costa Rica.  I try to collect as many different ones as possible. Unfortunately seeds are rare.

Eckhard

Pretty sure i have always been collecting seed, lol.. Whether interesting natives i wanted to try and grow, or well admired palms, etc.. If something i'm interested in has ripe seed on it, i'll collect a few to try.  Seed is the easiest.. and cheapest means of building a collection of things and it's quite rewarding to see your own efforts pay off through the years, especially if the plant is rare/ rare in your region.. or presents you w/ a challenge to learn how to grow.  Heck, lol, i'm currently teaching myself how to propagate some native ferns from spores.. That's a challenge right there.. Anyway.. Very addicting once you have succeeded w/ different things.

Chamaedorea are  my #1  favorite group of small palms..  I'd actually managed to produce viable seed and seedlings off a couple groups of Cham. metallica i had. Unfortunately, not something that can be grown outdoors here in Arizona, even on a shaded patio and kept moist thru the hottest part of the summer. Tough as nails otherwise.  Guaranteed i'll have more later.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

Collecting seeds is my passion too as I want to grow typical plants from the places I've visited. Always at the end of each visit my wife promises me, that she will not know me when I'm caught by the customs because of the seed packages I'm carrying with me.

The C. metallica is also one of my favourites. I have two small ones, hopefully one male and one female. Have you ever seen the bi-pinnate version of it? The palm garden in Frankfurt grows one but it has never set seeds. It's look is amazing. Nearly all of my palms are only outside during summer times.

Unfortunately no people living in their natural habitat are responding when you search for seeds. Our trip to Costa Rica was at the wrong time, only a few seeds could be collected.

• Like 1

Final, before-the-move additions. As usual, purchased in pairs, except for the last sp. :

Echinocereus ctenoides:   Melchor Muzquiz, Coahiula Mex. Mid to late Spring flowering, Flowers similar color range/ size to Echinocereus dasyacanthus from West Texas though perhaps a tad larger/brighter, wider petals.  Some sources consider E. cetinoides a form of E. dasyacanthus rather than a separate species.
DSC01516.thumb.JPG.57f7d9fe45720c4530a7aa5e0d92d5ff.JPG

Escobaria vivipara var. bisbeeana:   AZ. Pink/ Magenta Flowers in Summer.
DSC01515.thumb.JPG.b86a44ea5281bcdd0e17b979141584fb.JPG

Thelocactus bicolor ssp. bolaensis ' Summer Snow ' White flowered variety of the standard Glory of TX ( T. bicolor ).  Repeat bloomer, like the standard form.. April- September
DSC01511.thumb.JPG.b276b7570c4b90ea9f51b1914e46d1e4.JPG

Thelocactus setispinus var. setispinus:   S. TX. Native. Large, light lemon Yellow flowers w/red eye/throat. ..on and off thru Summer/early Fall.
DSC01512.thumb.JPG.4e14d03692657a1aadaa8fe2ebb60be2.JPG

Coryphantha maiz tablasensis ' Big Blue ' :  A much bluer and faster growing variant of the species.. Was told the standard var. would be half this size, and a few older than this variety.  Large Light Yellow flowers on and off in Summer/ early Fall.
DSC01517.thumb.JPG.a332c79868aa6a51d24574eb457733cd.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some cacti and flowers on the first day of Spring...

Bevertail Prickly Pear, Opuntia basilaris
DSC01533.JPG.02bba215bc9141e5d3517ee3a5dcb784.JPG

DSC01547.JPG.e4b6c52c1a7a40fe30383e89fa9c8214.JPG

DSC01527.JPG.8445d181b6198ceb08f4df664de72451.JPG

Stenocactus sp.
DSC01529.thumb.JPG.9ec079b38bb671814df4719fc123c82c.JPG

Looks like i'll get at least one flower on this shy flowering Echinocactus  ( ..possibly stamineus, Spines are thinner than the E.  Englemanii i have. ) this year. Have a couple offsets i've started to keep this one in my collection.
DSC01535.thumb.JPG.2e84c02b98f16c5bcd5eb4d50246c24c.JPG

Last lingering patch of Phacelia campanularia. been going through the yard taking down the last of the season's fading annuals.
DSC01551.thumb.JPG.e4e755ae9850396e49411b751ab4fdcc.JPG

Seed grown Yellow Necklace Pod, Sophora tomentosa.
DSC01531.JPG.c750c302aec375a7a0b5abc6c7248334.JPG

A couple years of infrequent, light trimming makes for a nice specimen of Coues' Senna, Senna covesii. Seed ( sown 4 years ago ) must have germinated in the perfect spot in the yard since none of the other specimens of this desert native around the yard look anywhere as nice.. Same area it is growing is where runoff from the neighbor's driveway will collect. Torch Glow Bougainvillea ( Barely in the picture on the far right, on the mound behind the Senna ) are in the same spot.  Very rare i water anything there most of the year. 
DSC01556.JPG.c5c9120d67d78f32a9ca54c66d758a59.JPG

Will be interesting to see how it performs closer to the coast. Native Range reaches the east side of the mountains east of San Diego, though it may reach further west in ideal habitat.

A couple extra pictures of it flowering heavily after a little rain earlier in the month.
DSC01503.JPG.06331bcc437c6b7e064981548ec7f668.JPG

DSC01504.JPG.5a1fe40c47489edf59044d4862431730.JPG

Self Seeded Brittlebush, Encelia farinosa.. Actually looks better than the one i planted further out in the yard, lol.
DSC01499.JPG.472a11bd0d39a5cba3f22ee9aed589a5.JPG

DSC01548.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

With the last of the Beavertail flowers fading away, and the other Opuntia out front not looking like they'll put on much of a show this year, not terribly much going on atm but, now that it is flowering again, think i figured out the ID of my mystery Echinocereus out front.  Fits the description for Echinocereus bonkerae ssp. apachensis, a form of E. bonkerae that is common in the Superstition Mountains, just east of town.  Have the typical, short - spined form of E. bonkerae as well.

Caught a wrestling match between 3 Digger Bees in the flower when i took the picture this morning. Not sure on the species. At least 3 or 4 pass through the yard this time of year.  Looks like this Echinocereus specimen can self - pollinate ( produces viable male & female parts ) so would assume all that wrasslin' should produce a fruit/ seed.
DSC01622.thumb.JPG.a576bb827a4e4c09df23968dd47f15c7.JPG

DSC01624.thumb.JPG.95bf6eb07f1a3416f880a6912f8c3751.JPG

DSC01625.JPG.f9ae904a524db7ef993a91d584d5d4bd.JPG

Looks like the Glory of Texas, Thelocactus bicolor and some of the Echinopsis/ Trichos are gearing up for their turn on stage.

Rosary Babybonnets, Coursetia glandulosa finally flowering as other things start to wake up out back..
DSC01627.JPG.c0631ae0c868cc1333f8802543368a82.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

A few fireworks this week:

Texas collected ( pads ) Opuntia sp. Thinking O. macrohiza, but O. humifusa occur in the same where area i'd collected. Regardless, stays short, takes all the heat / lack of regular water i can throw at it here out front. Flowers change color as they fade but last only a day in much more sun compared to when the mother plant was out back in some afternoon shade.  Not the spiniest of Prickly pears, but will still bite when handled bare handed.
DSC01786.thumb.JPG.2192f5ae7dfbaa528abff5d6c8576345.JPG

DSC01789.JPG.a7390cc2f33533d2d3174fc9ce055fef.JPG

DSC01788.thumb.JPG.1b67683a3f80c5d535594bc9835b27db.JPG

Echinocereus schmollii.
DSC01717.thumb.JPG.b241d04c72afd2b583f613a2e8ecb792.JPG

Thinner petaled form of Echinocereus reichenbachii  baileyi / albispinus. Other forms of the species have much fuller flowers.
DSC01794.JPG.f32f3d70f3fcd25fe665b4eb2c17b0bc.JPG

DSC01791.thumb.JPG.88610201a7eb4127b23e08a184356852.JPG

Echinocereus  X " Cattail Falls "
DSC01720.thumb.JPG.136e5a73cd373022bcd3facc4f56bffd.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The cold blast must have affected my prickly pear since it has not flowered as of yet.  Last year by this time it would be covered in flowers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

The cold blast must have affected my prickly pear since it has not flowered as of yet.  Last year by this time it would be covered in flowers.

All my Prickly pears are on a weird schedule this year as well.. Most reliable, a hybrid, might throw out a few flowers, but what flowers have opened so far have been smaller and far less numerous this year compared to normal ( plant is usually covered ) Echinopsis / most Echinoceri / Trichos. are also looking subdued this year too,  but thinking that is because i moved a lot of stuff to a somewhat shadier part of the yard when i took down my shade house last year.  Cool / dry weather this winter was otherwise optimal to encourage a good flowering cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

'Couple more to add today:

Thelocactus bicolor, nice n' flashy..  Better than Tulips :greenthumb:  Now that i have a pair of both the typical form, and the White- flowering form, should make for some interesting cross attempts later. ( Not pictured ) While still young, some buds swelling on one of the Thelocactus setispinus i picked up a month or so ago. 
DSC02394.JPG.cbe96807e48b82db1c3b40c2c929cd9b.JPG

DSC02395.thumb.JPG.42f9df0ce6ddd28206f91342ca02271d.JPG

DSC02396.thumb.JPG.fbd07979306b7992db45f44f642ecbfb.JPG

TX. collected Opuntia sp. still going...
DSC02342.thumb.JPG.a629a18797b1f5457805b08deb912964.JPG

DSC02343.thumb.JPG.94d45a6055901bbf08b98f5f5e5b117b.JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

My prickly pear did finally flowered.20210422_090329.thumb.jpg.dc31b17a53bf1a979d1d66f0d0243498.jpg20210422_090336.thumb.jpg.a985927e23d7b2601c9ac4be0c33be98.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of my Mammillaria matudae.  I just recently got into cacti and the Mammillaria spp has to be my favorite.

20210423_172928.thumb.jpg.baa02e632ee39a8695d4cae83c83a61f.jpg20210423_172923.thumb.jpg.7f1f21f220e47664802bc0424d02ef51.jpg

I hope you don't mind me posting pictures on your thread.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

My prickly pear did finally flowered.20210422_090329.thumb.jpg.dc31b17a53bf1a979d1d66f0d0243498.jpg20210422_090336.thumb.jpg.a985927e23d7b2601c9ac4be0c33be98.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of my Mammillaria matudae.  I just recently got into cacti and the Mammillaria spp has to be my favorite.

20210423_172928.thumb.jpg.baa02e632ee39a8695d4cae83c83a61f.jpg20210423_172923.thumb.jpg.7f1f21f220e47664802bc0424d02ef51.jpg

I hope you don't mind me posting pictures on your thread.

Don't mind at all..  All 2021 cacti blooms are welcome here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A few to start the week:

Opuntia " Pina Colada " Caught in the fade out phase.  Appears to be the perfect spot for native Bees to spend the night ( PIc. #2 )
DSC02432.thumb.JPG.17a88cefec6bab05c6a9f7ab5542e112.JPG

DSC02431.thumb.JPG.4bcae8bbcaa87aaf84d5ee0d6e200515.JPG

Echinocereus ( **Formally Wilcoxia ) leucanthus.  First flowers this year are on a cutting started plant, off my main specimen.
DSC02419.thumb.JPG.b734e5d01215f8e67040b58d83fb76ef.JPG

Thelocactus setispinus. Thought i'd be waiting another year or two for flowers, but guess not. Cloudy skies today kept it from fully opening. Slightly fragrant. 2nd plant is starting to bud as well.
DSC02422.JPG.74503edfd0419ff79edb53e2727c1d93.JPG

• Upvote 2

...And a few to end the week:

Hot ember Orange Echinocereus scheeri var. scheeri.  Usually get a good set of flowers on this specimen, only 1 this year, lol.:rolleyes: Other E. scheeri form i have ( E. s. gentryi ) decided to rot at the base over the winter. Hoping what stems i managed to salvage fill in for the original plant after rooting.
DSC02842.JPG.c9d6886b1b4c680ed81f00f4d99e976d.JPG

DSC02854.thumb.JPG.117b613349e9927adddd47f28ada7520.JPG

Bishop's Cap, Astrophytum myriostigma
DSC02847.thumb.JPG.73396d163d676e5dabc997ec3c96d5df.JPG

Trichocereus X  " Huntington acquisition"
DSC02810.thumb.JPG.3ce4d8555c6ea9700ad37e5e06d85b59.JPG

DSC02838.JPG.6f9f5104b73d35be7b0a134235fcccd5.JPG

DSC02837.thumb.JPG.7385b87fe9db2ac81cb4979ea675d661.JPG

• Upvote 2

Some 'more, to start off May..

Trichocereus X* Red Sky Warning ( * = My own name for this one, Was originally shared w/ me as a supposed offset of a regular ol Echinopsis /Trichocereus candicans ) Definitely not candicans, lol.

DSC02937.JPG.8771ff7d0992bc22e1de21a7175daec2.JPG

Trichocereus X Huntington acquisition ( Might be the same as the plant that flowered last week, but not 100% sure .. Got these mixed up when taking offsets. Will know when the never flowered plant i also bought at Huntington on that trip decides to flower :rolleyes: )

Shaded:

DSC02941.thumb.JPG.a7f936f7d1d8fc152f2cd60134c0e80a.JPG

DSC02942.JPG.a0a033e7005881ff4d08dedfe113448f.JPG

In morning sun:
DSC02943.thumb.JPG.1daae2437ab9e6a7a4748068f0c77f9a.JPG

DSC02944.JPG.366b9e69b5229eec676bd0613a68df9e.JPG

Echinocereus leucanthus, this time the mother plant presenting some fireworks.
DSC02922.thumb.JPG.d920699b9dd21db053b2fcbd09b49021.JPG

More Texas Glory, Thelocactus bicolor.
DSC02920.JPG.3b11a8df44a2688e6fb084def05e4a4c.JPG

First of the Echinocereus rigidissimus var rubrispinus of the season. Took the picture earlier on in the day when the area these are sitting in is shaded more, so color in the pictures is off for some reason.
DSC02917.JPG.165964a6e58dc78ee0707fd8177e658d.JPG

This weeks' show: Awaiting the other Trichocereus which decide to flower / not abort flowers.

Last of the Echinocereus rigidissimus var. rubrispinus. As spectacular as these are, Gonna be something else when the pair of solid white flowered specimens i have of this species join the show.

DSC02946.thumb.JPG.ff71bc49f29618dbdf2b23386ce68dcf.JPG

DSC02951.thumb.JPG.8324cbbdd251024434203e7d7b987ac1.JPG

Took ya' long enough!, lol..  Been waiting for my endangered  FL. Apple Cactus, Harrisia fragrans to flower for what, ..like 5 years / Since i got here anyway. Tried last year and failed/ aborted the flower.  When does it decide to throw a successful one? ~ after ~ i cut up the plant ( was getting too tall, wanted to get cuts going anyway. ).  One day,  i'll convince it to put on more than a single flower - when it decides to bloom.

Had to keep an eye on it since the bud swelled last Friday. Saturday, after getting my 2nd Vaccine, was laid out for nearly 48 hours w/ a robust response to it.. Nothing burger, as a family friend puts getting the shot,  better to have the suggested response of chills, a decent fever, Headache, and body aches for a day and a half   ..then the alternative.   ...Anyway,

DSC02955.thumb.JPG.2cbe3d36e76a7a2c8e53a88df270c1e2.JPG

Flower opened Monday night, and, as always with night - flowering Cacti, ( Well, anything that flowers at night really ) was well worth the wait. Pollinated the flower, like the last time it flowered ( while still in FL. ) so, we'll see if the fruit develops.
DSC02957.thumb.JPG.97c36ce0c8b825841331697a32602798.JPG

DSC02960.thumb.JPG.95569877efdb931b89371d66eb68c08b.JPG

DSC02961.thumb.JPG.dc785928b7967435330421ad43d2aa79.JPG

DSC02968.thumb.JPG.8055e8cad47d15196dcebe7edaab4045.JPG

Somethin' extra, since we're in the heart of it.. Some neighborhood Saguaro at peak bloom ( Many people here refer to the flowering season as " Crowning Season " < Since flowers are primarily formed on the crowns of each stem /arm >

" Big Frye " around the corner from the house / across from the Hospital.. My nick-name for this big fella since it is the biggest Saguaro ( only specimen actually ) on this part of Frye Rd.

DSC03025.thumb.JPG.db376978e5eeb4b21bf951d60262ac26.JPG

DSC03024.thumb.JPG.ae0b9373e896ae81406fbf7241039846.JPG

DSC03027.thumb.JPG.defbd13eae634af8d4ef0d1777a0097b.JPG

Some others, down by the mall / across from the Chandler Museum. Notice how many of these are still " Spear " size, but flowering.  One, with the closer ups of the flowers, is just over 7ft.  Not sure if the - seemingly earlier flowering age-  is a result of these being container- grown, or just a fact of life with Urban- grown Sags. Beautiful regardless. Will have to check back to see if any produce fruit. Don't remember if any had in years past.
DSC03040.thumb.JPG.ec94848151c24d047f8031856866faa1.JPG

DSC03041.thumb.JPG.f912c4a1e8384f70143eac6e67975f43.JPG

DSC03043.thumb.JPG.96ae7febc3efdf68b10e2efb66af2db7.JPG

DSC03044.thumb.JPG.4f939af2d145fd09e508821faba8c19f.JPG

DSC03048.thumb.JPG.73dc8f94b9894d1321ec015b21deeaf6.JPG

That massive Ocotillo specimen in the same planting area as " Big Frye ". ( posted pictures of it here in the past ) Flowered this year, but producing few if any seeds.
DSC03030.thumb.JPG.b240b6091402ccecf3359613aba0f44b.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Caught this Opuntia (hybrid?) in its final act: 

30E9939D-A7C3-489A-B222-6E6108E74F8E.thumb.jpeg.86990b7f0c268466ac6a9ec18e77b6db.jpeg

A few of mine performed better than anticipated- assuming from the precipitation in April.

BT will always be a favorite of mine -

A3CB4B6C-51D3-4CA2-AABD-4C54F92F0DC1.thumb.jpeg.16a4ed7a3673a3612139848e87dbc617.jpeg

193B193C-2C8B-4867-AEEB-0E0DAE975722.thumb.jpeg.bff0bd61486024cee03d5c74bc7ec45e.jpeg

My assumed Trichocereus grandiflorus hybrid I introduced last year really exploded. It was crushing from the weight of its blossoms -

F9E360B1-46DA-4692-B07E-932C24F33CFD.thumb.jpeg.94c15998231ecffef8335d5036498b66.jpeg

E779E3B1-2F30-40C2-AC24-740CFF74CDD8.thumb.jpeg.ba56ec35f1ef6aea7cbc1158a20093b2.jpeg

Trichocereus candicans 

FCAE4E6A-44A5-480E-8FF3-3F46FDC8DF8A.thumb.jpeg.6689155f23ae685886d5eb0049b70ed7.jpeg

E699A61F-C199-4F76-994D-CFB4E68C4F30.thumb.jpeg.521489cefdecdeb73ed1b93a6cdd27fa.jpeg

More hybrid ‘Hardy cactus’

CA25F8DB-17EA-4E38-A7A0-2C29D693F76B.thumb.jpeg.05123ca31ef4ce02ccf456174f66b343.jpeg

DBCD0480-30C8-4189-BD3C-DB879A8B1953.thumb.jpeg.ba37aa36dc7630bc65ca79e8530ff28e.jpeg

7F9A07B4-7C3F-4FE2-A90A-86C10888A437.thumb.jpeg.c7a0de7633f5535a2e5e60801085f6d9.jpeg

Threw in a coupon of native Grizz for bees and spiders - one has flowered -

EAAF2B80-B586-4536-AB18-0CE82C84F826.thumb.jpeg.ed01b2cada0e006139ad4e7bb31388fe.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

Caught this Opuntia (hybrid?) in its final act: 

30E9939D-A7C3-489A-B222-6E6108E74F8E.thumb.jpeg.86990b7f0c268466ac6a9ec18e77b6db.jpeg

A few of mine performed better than anticipated- assuming from the precipitation in April.

BT will always be a favorite of mine -

A3CB4B6C-51D3-4CA2-AABD-4C54F92F0DC1.thumb.jpeg.16a4ed7a3673a3612139848e87dbc617.jpeg

193B193C-2C8B-4867-AEEB-0E0DAE975722.thumb.jpeg.bff0bd61486024cee03d5c74bc7ec45e.jpeg

My assumed Trichocereus grandiflorus hybrid I introduced last year really exploded. It was crushing from the weight of its blossoms -

F9E360B1-46DA-4692-B07E-932C24F33CFD.thumb.jpeg.94c15998231ecffef8335d5036498b66.jpeg

E779E3B1-2F30-40C2-AC24-740CFF74CDD8.thumb.jpeg.ba56ec35f1ef6aea7cbc1158a20093b2.jpeg

Trichocereus candicans 

FCAE4E6A-44A5-480E-8FF3-3F46FDC8DF8A.thumb.jpeg.6689155f23ae685886d5eb0049b70ed7.jpeg

E699A61F-C199-4F76-994D-CFB4E68C4F30.thumb.jpeg.521489cefdecdeb73ed1b93a6cdd27fa.jpeg

More hybrid ‘Hardy cactus’

CA25F8DB-17EA-4E38-A7A0-2C29D693F76B.thumb.jpeg.05123ca31ef4ce02ccf456174f66b343.jpeg

DBCD0480-30C8-4189-BD3C-DB879A8B1953.thumb.jpeg.ba37aa36dc7630bc65ca79e8530ff28e.jpeg

7F9A07B4-7C3F-4FE2-A90A-86C10888A437.thumb.jpeg.c7a0de7633f5535a2e5e60801085f6d9.jpeg

Threw in a coupon of native Grizz for bees and spiders - one has flowered -

EAAF2B80-B586-4536-AB18-0CE82C84F826.thumb.jpeg.ed01b2cada0e006139ad4e7bb31388fe.jpeg

:greenthumb::greenthumb: NICE!   ..Tip of the cap to you, sir!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Back out in the desert this morning and caught up w more Saguaro at peak bloom and some nice specimens of locale -type Echinocereus . Today's saunter took me to a couple spots on either side of Picket Post Mountain near Superior and Boyce Thompson Arboretum. 

Excellent Echinocereus ( bonkerae/ fendleri complex ) specimens in situ, East side of Picket Post, along Perlite Rd/ north rim of upper Arnett Canyon ( Pictures of that, an old Perlite mine/ gathering Apache Tears, & a couple potential Native American ruins later )
DSC03141.thumb.JPG.aa2d9ffdd6f149f927ebe90f5a459bed.JPG

DSC03165.JPG.f79ab87fb818a929ba4644b0a332ea0a.JPG

DSC03198.thumb.JPG.476d515a55fef5f0045ffce222eb45f9.JPG

Mamillata form of Cylindropuntia fulgida.. Might look friendlier than they typical form of the Chainfruit Cholla, but don't bet on it, lol. Old plants leave behind excellent Cholla skeletons. ( Very numerous here due to all the Cattle grazing in this area )
DSC03201.thumb.JPG.055a67404ebb0fd8da5626240fd59e24.JPG

DSC03202.thumb.JPG.cc69d9cce91378609f71b931f40143fc.JPG

Flowering Saguaro neat the west side of Picket Post, Picket Post Mountain Trail access area. While 99% of all Sags. i observed today were at some stage of flowering, very obvious most are quite water stressed atm.
DSC03222.thumb.JPG.7887820f83c4797065ca067fee5c33e7.JPG

DSC03223.thumb.JPG.1352e6d2f9c102be387a37192bed5bad.JPG

DSC03225.thumb.JPG.cbd9e620bf0e09a14f7bb4a218924997.JPG

DSC03229.thumb.JPG.e3129d804456aa200f4b2e292b7a71e7.JPG

DSC03236.thumb.JPG.4124c11d20f95b618971a1a4e9285db1.JPG

DSC03241.thumb.JPG.2a6a6aa26426a2c9bf0a74303dadaf26.JPG

DSC03242.JPG.08ac36a6aba1232aaf354defb97e074c.JPG

Enjoy....
DSC03227.thumb.JPG.26b9d3c235774bb6565c4bf5224471e8.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Echinocereus pentalophus..and a question...  I missed getting photos of the blooms this year..and it was impressive.. the most I've seen..for about 2 weeks.  I was looking this morning and there are seed pods forming..  would these be hybrids with the local claret cups?  I wasn't aware they are self fertile..  

20210522_085107.jpg

20210522_085120.jpg

20210522_085112.jpg

• Like 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

6 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Echinocereus pentalophus..and a question...  I missed getting photos of the blooms this year..and it was impressive.. the most I've seen..for about 2 weeks.  I was looking this morning and there are seed pods forming..  would these be hybrids with the local claret cups?  I wasn't aware they are self fertile..  

20210522_085107.jpg

20210522_085120.jpg

20210522_085112.jpg

If both were flowering at the same time, and the Carlet cup was a functional male ( producing viable pollen ), definitely possible some of the flowers on this one were crossed. Pretty sure pentalophus typically produces flowers that can self- cross so resulting plants from seed could be pure as well. That's the fun when starting from seed off your own plants.. never know what the flowers/ plants could look like until mature enough to produce their first ( flowers )

On 5/17/2021 at 11:27 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Back out in the desert this morning and caught up w more Saguaro at peak bloom and some nice specimens of locale -type Echinocereus . Today's saunter took me to a couple spots on either side of Picket Post Mountain near Superior and Boyce Thompson Arboretum. 

Excellent Echinocereus ( bonkerae/ fendleri complex ) specimens in situ, East side of Picket Post, along Perlite Rd/ north rim of upper Arnett Canyon ( Pictures of that, an old Perlite mine/ gathering Apache Tears, & a couple potential Native American ruins later )
DSC03141.thumb.JPG.aa2d9ffdd6f149f927ebe90f5a459bed.JPG

DSC03165.JPG.f79ab87fb818a929ba4644b0a332ea0a.JPG

DSC03198.thumb.JPG.476d515a55fef5f0045ffce222eb45f9.JPG

Mamillata form of Cylindropuntia fulgida.. Might look friendlier than they typical form of the Chainfruit Cholla, but don't bet on it, lol. Old plants leave behind excellent Cholla skeletons. ( Very numerous here due to all the Cattle grazing in this area )
DSC03201.thumb.JPG.055a67404ebb0fd8da5626240fd59e24.JPG

DSC03202.thumb.JPG.cc69d9cce91378609f71b931f40143fc.JPG

Flowering Saguaro neat the west side of Picket Post, Picket Post Mountain Trail access area. While 99% of all Sags. i observed today were at some stage of flowering, very obvious most are quite water stressed atm.
DSC03222.thumb.JPG.7887820f83c4797065ca067fee5c33e7.JPG

DSC03223.thumb.JPG.1352e6d2f9c102be387a37192bed5bad.JPG

DSC03225.thumb.JPG.cbd9e620bf0e09a14f7bb4a218924997.JPG

DSC03229.thumb.JPG.e3129d804456aa200f4b2e292b7a71e7.JPG

DSC03236.thumb.JPG.4124c11d20f95b618971a1a4e9285db1.JPG

DSC03241.thumb.JPG.2a6a6aa26426a2c9bf0a74303dadaf26.JPG

DSC03242.JPG.08ac36a6aba1232aaf354defb97e074c.JPG

Enjoy....
DSC03227.thumb.JPG.26b9d3c235774bb6565c4bf5224471e8.JPG

Seeing wild cacti for me is a treat. Amazing shots until the last one....stunning, the view between the saguaros

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, teddytn said:

Seeing wild cacti for me is a treat. Amazing shots until the last one....stunning, the view between the saguaros

Spent the morning at this area again today and got a bunch more shots of Saguaro at just past peak bloom.   ...And had another " meeting " with a very dangerous, fanged critter lol

• Like 2

Fantastic pictures, you can nearly feel the heat of the desert. Show us more. Here in Germany  the weather is cold and wet. No heat in sight.

Eckhard 

9 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Spent the morning at this area again today and got a bunch more shots of Saguaro at just past peak bloom.   ...And had another " meeting " with a very dangerous, fanged critter lol

I’m trying to put these images in perspective in my mind and I’m having trouble lol. How tall are those saguaros roughly? 

• Like 1

As mentioned, took an uncommonly perfect morning to complete the leg of Monday's trip i'd cut short  and caught more of our local Saguaro at just past peak bloom. Adding a few pictures of a couple extra succulent, but non cactus finds from the days adventure as well.

Trail side map of Arnett Canyon/ Creek, from the west side / access of Picket post..  Orange dots represent where i made it to yesterday ( there are two because i'm not exactly sure which point i'd reached before heading back)  Purple represents approximately where the old Perlite mine/ Apache Tears collection area is located ( from Monday's tip ) Blue =  potential Native American Ruins ( also noted on Monday's trip ). You can see how close all areas are in relation to one another, let alone Boyce Thompson.

DSC03354.JPG.11024639ddc5a294f09039d5f3e95fca.JPG

As for that " meeting " mentioned last night, will include that in another quick thread elsewhere later.. Anyway..

Unlike Monday, cool ( by low desert standards ) and breezy weather was most ideal for exploring the lower half of Arnett Canyon/ Creek which winds around the North face of Picket Post Mountain just east of the valley. While there were plenty to be seen, best looking Saguaro here were sited on a south facing slope about a quarter way along the trail in the canyon. Unlike many others seen here and elsewhere this year, considering the abysmally dry conditions atm, this group looks pretty healthy, as did most observed in the immediate area.

DSC03390.thumb.JPG.d8b17ba66fa2a9d27eef5459ab70fc23.JPG

DSC03394.JPG.09be68047e97cfc3d68075281b706297.JPG

DSC03397.thumb.JPG.3cdd4416fa58868c8c9276204d4c169d.JPG

DSC03386.thumb.JPG.6900064bf850b6c489d77c74bb8a234e.JPG

DSC03515.JPG.84a1fc07bb33ddc525922c5cbbb4acfc.JPG

DSC03413.thumb.JPG.c8149b0c61d5ecf7c5d5dfdd6162caf1.JPG

DSC03416.JPG.38ebfd92c711de7f6f54e9efee45c7ad.JPG

DSC03391.JPG.b430ad476663b947cc461dc134fa0857.JPG

DSC03402.JPG.428819aedc18107fbcf45cc4d988a02e.JPG

Perspective: Distant spears below Picket post.
DSC03432.thumb.JPG.2defe5dc310502171b90401ee71609fc.JPG

Other Sags. from different parts of the area.
DSC03545.JPG.44731e7fc610ea0bc0508fb095565f1c.JPG

DSC03556.JPG.a850c0c4d2297e8ba78175f27a8fa60d.JPG

A fat, 4-headed Barrel ( Ferocactus ), Well formed Cylindropuntia ( Cholla ), and some Hedgehogs ( Echinocereus ) in the shadow of Picket Post.
DSC03513.thumb.JPG.833de5b1c164d77a220f9f561fe3fafe.JPG

DSC03426.thumb.JPG.3a495e9606ce0d6c837ed5dfc39e4035.JPG

DSC03453.thumb.JPG.76cef60dd515fab6072062d5f3fd6af7.JPG

DSC03576.thumb.JPG.8363129556d92bf694e5644ae1dad16f.JPG

DSC03578.JPG.65379159d3939b311ca86c2108293805.JPG

Young green Dasylirion wheeleri and distant Agave or two i could not get closer to..

DSC03530.thumb.JPG.27cea5226c3ca5a09b321bfc6481bedd.JPG

DSC03532.thumb.JPG.a38c06c0af282905b7b228911503917a.JPG

DSC03374.JPG.e91023ad868c3bac1b6e78b6823cd37d.JPG

DSC03529.thumb.JPG.d449bbb281cd38303a202391ad9c18ce.JPG

DSC03371.thumb.JPG.2c62f9b8e7c8efe0222bb4e9ec6aec63.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is the first time this opuntia has ever flowered. Not sure of the name of this guy. Super tiny, whole plant would fit in a salad bowl at 10 years old from a single pad. Some spines are longer than the pad it’s connected to. Super rad!

DC36F1AA-E73D-4E21-BCAC-208A962E9B2D.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, teddytn said:

This is the first time this opuntia has ever flowered. Not sure of the name of this guy. Super tiny, whole plant would fit in a salad bowl at 10 years old from a single pad. Some spines are longer than the pad it’s connected to. Super rad!

Either the dwarf form of Opuntia humifusa, or O. pusilla.  Nearly Native Nursery appears to sell a cross between the two as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Either the dwarf form of Opuntia humifusa, or O. pusilla.  Nearly Native Nursery appears to sell a cross between the two as well.

Ok thank you! I honestly didn’t check out their cactus selection when there, gonna have to make another trip down there soon. I keep kicking myself they had tons of agaves in pots that have been outside since they got potted up as youngsters. I had palms on the brain that day! Lol 

• Like 1

Some Holiday Weekend/ end of May color ..of the prickly kind:D

Trichocereus X Cv. " First Light " Mark Dimmitt cross.

DSC03260.JPG.8aa3a91d1fba7430fd4d0e44f39bc194.JPG

Trichocereus X Cv. " Apricot Glow " Another of Mark Dimmitt's famous crosses.
DSC03717.JPG.2b55a820dc365c97f433565b052bdcaa.JPG

DSC03720.JPG.9b864920388ccbcb3e17f2cf1e4cd60d.JPG

Echinopsis subdunata X " Dominoes " ( or " Fuzzy Navel "  ..Have both. Very similar looking )
DSC03599.JPG.e6013a16588553aef5f8bed31543d5a9.JPG

DSC03722.thumb.JPG.7735c599a6700eba76ebc4cd9bd70c52.JPG

Echinopsis X " Gene Joseph Cross " An un-named selection made by the owner of Plants For The Southwest Nursery, Tucson. Not the largest of flowers, but perhaps the boldest of colors.
DSC03705.thumb.JPG.312c26405adc35bd0a7a92f65b2a8643.JPG

DSC03707.thumb.JPG.39d92afe4bfede6318e1b4376b09cdd9.JPG

DSC03714.thumb.JPG.693c652ea5443881e3a490c3ca39abff.JPG

Echinocereus subinermis var. ochoterenae. Smallest- flowered of the 3 forms of this Southern Sonoran " Hedgehog " Apparently a Bee's heaven as well.. Wonder if this would be like a kid diving into a pit of Cotton Candy,  to a Bee, lol.
DSC03624.thumb.JPG.5583cfcfdffa706618d1c752505a227a.JPG

DSC03627.thumb.JPG.0d2e46bbb35a61f763560777964285f5.JPG

Thelocactus bicolor, " Junior "  at it again.  Bigger, older specimen budding up again as well atm.
DSC03712.JPG.b1f3013a56c586b06b29e0bf8b7a20b8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

@Silas_Sancona I have cactus that flower but.....wow it’s incredible to see blooms like that. Definitely more to plants than meets the eye. Poor soil, arid, sweltering heat and push out blooms that put anything in a local florist to shame. Old Mother Nature has some tricks up her sleeves

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, teddytn said:

@Silas_Sancona I have cactus that flower but.....wow it’s incredible to see blooms like that. Definitely more to plants than meets the eye. Poor soil, arid, sweltering heat and push out blooms that put anything in a local florist to shame. Old Mother Nature has some tricks up her sleeves

My collection of the flowery stuff is just the tip of the iceburg, lol..  Not sure if this guy is still in business but his site ( mattslandscape.com ) is worth drooling over.. The Echinopsis/Trichocereus, and Epiphyllum ( Jungle Cacti ) esp. 

Epiphyllum themselves are a whole 'nother rabbit hole to get lost in. ( Epiphyllums.org / Epiphyllum Society of America )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

My collection of the flowery stuff is just the tip of the iceburg, lol..  Not sure if this guy is still in business but his site ( mattslandscape.com ) is worth drooling over.. The Echinopsis/Trichocereus, and Epiphyllum ( Jungle Cacti ) esp. 

Epiphyllum themselves are a whole 'nother rabbit hole to get lost in. ( Epiphyllums.org / Epiphyllum Society of America )

Couldn’t have said that better. Tip of the iceberg. My wish list for new plants grows exponentially by the day. 

• Like 1