IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help identify young Washingtonia Palm

MSX

Hello could somebody please tell me what species of Washingtonia palm this is. Filifera, robusta or × filibusta? Thanks a lot

DSCN6654.jpg

DSCN6658.jpg

DSCN6682.jpg

IMG_20210304_161728.jpg

3.jpg

DSCN6672.jpg

DSCN6673.jpg

DSCN6666.jpg

IMG_20210304_161739.jpg

TRUNC2.jpg

Looks like a pure Filifera to me, or at the very least a Filifera-dominant hybrid. I don’t see any Robusta traits at all in that young specimen though. 

• Like 4

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

17 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Looks like a pure Filifera to me, or at the very least a Filifera-dominant hybrid. I don’t see any Robusta traits at all in that young specimen though. 

UK_Palms, thanks a lot for your help!

Cold hardy Filifera is definitely great, especially after the winter we had

Yep. Pure filifera.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Yep. Pure filifera.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

(DELETED MESSAGE)

Edited by EastCanadaTropicals

Nothing to say here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello palmtalkers! I got one more young Washingtonia today (1 1/4" trunk base diameter & 4" trunk height) that will be planted outside to its permanent location next month, and once again I need your help to confirm the species. The choice was very wide, and as I'm now in the market for pure young cold hardy filiferas for my house so I picked the one that has got the greenest petioles and with the leaf segments deeply cut out, below the 50% mark. But I noticed the lowest petiole has some brown spots of antocianes (robusta genes or still common for filiferas too?). I know it's still super small but does it look like a young filifera in general? And another question, is it okay to plant Washies outside (BSk, 7B/8A) to a permanent location at such a young age?Thanks! 

DSCN6817.jpg

DSCN6816.jpg

DSCN6823.jpg

DSCN6825.jpg

DSCN6827.jpg

DSCN6821.jpg

DSCN6814.jpg

DSCN6829.jpg

DSCN6828.jpg

Edited by MSX

The second one is probably a Filifera dominant hybrid that results from a Filifera x Filibusta cross, or from Filibusta x Filibusta that is just showing more Filifera dominance. I don't see much Robusta in it at all, apart from a slight hint of red on the petiole bases. I suspect its growth habit and hardiness will be very much like Filifera though, even if it is technically a hybrid. 

• Like 2

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Ben, thank you again for your expertise! Yes, I read that the two Washingtonia species hybridize freely, making identification of cultivated palms difficult but apart of the exterior characteristics, are the Filifera hybrids considered to be more or less cold hardy than the pure Filiferas?

Of course all filifera / robusta hybrids are either equal or less cold hardy than pure filiferas, depending on how dominant the filifera part is.

Generally W. filifera is much more cold hardy than W. robusta.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi there I recently got a Washingtonia palm it was advertised to me as California fan palm but now I am having second thoughts, I would like to know if it’s robusta filifera or filibusta, I know it’s likely still to young to tell what type it is but any educated guesses would be great.

09EEFB4D-3EE3-438E-9BFC-FEA75C4F0602.jpeg

A5F08B45-FCC2-4F0A-B124-0B4743779871.jpeg

A8E30002-3B5F-48F6-842F-2B2C7B344181.jpeg

DB02EE79-984F-4A9A-89FC-EFF42302ABD5.jpeg

72588D1D-2CBB-4EF5-8B37-0DCACDE3B456.jpeg

51F8A458-DBE3-4D9E-B33B-8B52C1BD925A.jpeg

846F963F-5A82-4D46-BA02-FE6DA5EE8CE0.jpeg

• Like 1

You definitely have a robusta. (Mexican fan palm)

California fan palms (filifera) do NOT have any red on the petiole bases. Here is a picture of a California fan I have in a pot to illustrate.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20230311_103011515.jpg

IMG_20230311_103027251.jpg

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona