IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Don't you just love a variegated Howea

palmtreesforpleasure

With the light filtering through the leaflets, they are truly a spectacular sight, viewable at Wollongong Botanic Gardens

20210305_213844.jpg

20210304_112701.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 5

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

I do love it but my lone green one struggles with my climate. That one is better off in your yard.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Yes!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

@palmtreesforpleasure that is very nice!

Screamed obscenities in Australian!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I’ve never seen one. There you go. I take it this will need complete shade to do well.

Thanks for posting. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

There is 2 of these growing at the Wollongong botanic gardens, and another that Wal Donovan, named snow drop and the leaves look like snow had fallen on the top;

Also there is a Howea forsteriana  "upright form" has shuttlecock petioles. They are near teh ones with the bronze new leaves

regards

Colin

• Like 1

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

19 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

@palmtreesforpleasure that is very nice!

Screamed obscenities in Australian!

Well , Dave, been to your place a few times, your turn to visit, when travelling safely is on again.:)

regards

Colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

52 minutes ago, palmtreesforpleasure said:

Well , Dave, been to your place a few times, your turn to visit, when travelling safely is on again.:)

regards

Colin

Practicing obscenities as I type this

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

55 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Practicing obscenities as I type this

:floor:

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

2 hours ago, palmtreesforpleasure said:

There is 2 of these growing at the Wollongong botanic gardens, and another that Wal Donovan, named snow drop and the leaves look like snow had fallen on the top;

Also there is a Howea forsteriana  "upright form" has shuttlecock petioles. They are near teh ones with the bronze new leaves

regards

Colin

Well if ever I get back east again the Wollongong BG is on my list.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Tyrone, 

You would not recognise the palm collection in Sydney either, lots of growth since your last visit, more species planted, let me know if you come over

regards

Colin

• Upvote 1

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

• 3 months later...

There is now 3 Variegated Howea forsteriana's planted together in the Wollongong botanic gardens, trying to create a mini forest of them, taken many years to see if the variegation held before planting.

That is if you can find a strong seedling first

regards

Colin

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Would love to set foot in Australia and see them one day.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.