IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

(HELP) Licuala Grandis (Fiji Fan Palm) fronds are shrinking!

PalmX

I bought this around a week ago. It came in a 10 inch nursery pot with really saturated soil, so I decided to un-pot it and check out the roots.

There was no root rot but the root ball was maybe 5in diameter at best. WAY too small for the nursery pot they put it in.

I cut their soil mix 50/50 with a really nice cactus mix, and put it in a 5.5 inch terra cotta pot.

I watered it to get it settled, and haven't touched it since. It's been in a bright south facing window, but I don't think it has gotten any direct sun.

Any idea why the fronds have started to shrivel up? I put a wooden skewer in the pot yesterday and it was a little damp when I pulled it out, so I don't think it's under-watering. 

Here is a picture of the pot/soil:
IMG_4200.thumb.PNG.53ecfe0a656392d6cb883bde79141212.PNG

Thanks
Tim

Edited by PalmX

It's probably in a bit of shock after the transplant.  Nice plant, hope it recovers and grows well for you!

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

It's probably in a bit of shock after the transplant.  Nice plant, hope it recovers and grows well for you!

Thanks!

Does it usually take a few days after repotting for the shock symptoms to show? 

Any suggestions on what to do to bet help as far as watering and light? 

2 hours ago, PalmX said:

Thanks!

Does it usually take a few days after repotting for the shock symptoms to show? 

Any suggestions on what to do to bet help as far as watering and light? 

How was the light conditions where you bought it? yes shock can be delayed. feel the soil a few inches down, if dry water i througly until you get water out the drainage hole at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Palmfarmer said:

How was the light conditions where you bought it? yes shock can be delayed. feel the soil a few inches down, if dry water i througly until you get water out the drainage hole at the bottom.

It was in a back corner without much light but I don't know how long. They didn't have the plant long.

I have no experience growing this species, but I have some other Licualas that I'm growing from seed.  Most Licualas like a lot of water from what I understand but in a pot need well draining soil which it sounds like you've got now.

Jon Sunder

21 minutes ago, PalmX said:

It was in a back corner without much light but I don't know how long. They didn't have the plant long.

Frond shrink when they get more sunlight often. Dont worry it will survive fine, you could put it in a place with less sun and gradually move it towards getting more sun. However I would not care much for that, it might look a bit bad for a period, but it will not die from this. Beatiful palm by the way i want one indoors as well now.

2 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Frond shrink when they get more sunlight often. Dont worry it will survive fine, you could put it in a place with less sun and gradually move it towards getting more sun. However I would not care much for that, it might look a bit bad for a period, but it will not die from this. Beatiful palm by the way i want one indoors as well now.

Thanks : ) it is quickly becoming one of my favorites! I appreciate the info.

Can I hope for the shriveled fronds to flush back out, or are they goners? It seems like the newest/biggest fronds are the ones most affected. 

Edited by PalmX

I usually see 1 or 2 small fronds pushed after repotting palms. Just part of the adaptation to a new pot.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

I would recommend you mist it with a spray-bottle and bag the whole plant for a few weeks. This has happened to me a number of times when in a dry climate, after repotting/shifting up and changing out the substrate-media, I think the delicate, fine root-hairs responsible for much of the plant's water absorption are damaged either by even brief exposure to dry air, or perhaps just to the physical abrasion of the process. If you get a large, clear bag and make a temporary sealed terrarium out of it for a few weeks, the roots will have time to recover, to grow some new roots and root-hairs. Once those fronds start drying out it can be curtains very quickly, in my experience. Putting it into a very humid, stable atmosphere will stop the drying process immediately. Until you can do that, I would suggest you put it in the most humid spot you have and spray the leaves (especially undersides) as often as possible, while making sure the root-area is moist but not saturated.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)