IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

March 3, 1980 freeze in Orlando

Eric in Orlando

Back on March 3, 1980, Orlando had a low of 25F. I'm not sure if this is the latest below freezing temperature ever recorded here but probably the latest hard freeze. It was only below freezing one night and day temperatures rebounded fast, I was 12 years old and just getting interested in plants. I remember damage on things in our yard; crotons and hibiscus froze back part of the way, Dracaena marginata froze to the ground and Schefflera defoliated and died back about a foot, some burn on Dypsis lutescens and a young Archontophoenix alexandrae under tree canopy.  In the neighborhood Syagrus romanzoffiana had some burn (these were the more tender forms that were killed later in the 3 80s killer freezes) as did Araucaria columnaris. Selloums in open locations were burnt, same with Strelitzia nicolai and Ravenala. And I remember a couple big Seagrapes, Ficus elastica and Ficus lyrata were defoliated with some dieback. 

Here were the temperatures for that week in March 1980;

1- 74/59

2- 63/30

3- 52/25

4- 70/33

5- 79/53

6- 84/53

7- 82/53

Anyone else remember this late freeze?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

3 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Back on March 3, 1980, Orlando had a low of 25F. I'm not sure if this is the latest below freezing temperature ever recorded here but probably the latest hard freeze. It was only below freezing one night and day temperatures rebounded fast, I was 12 years old and just getting interested in plants. I remember damage on things in our yard; crotons and hibiscus froze back part of the way, Dracaena marginata froze to the ground and Schefflera defoliated and died back about a foot, some burn on Dypsis lutescens and a young Archontophoenix alexandrae under tree canopy.  In the neighborhood Syagrus romanzoffiana had some burn (these were the more tender forms that were killed later in the 3 80s killer freezes) as did Araucaria columnaris. Selloums in open locations were burnt, same with Strelitzia nicolai and Ravenala. And I remember a couple big Seagrapes, Ficus elastica and Ficus lyrata were defoliated with some dieback. 

1- 74/59

2- 63/30

3- 52/25

4- 70/33

5- 79/53

6- 84/53

7- 82/53

Galveston, Texas saw 26F on March 2, 1980. The lowest temperature in March since records began in 1872. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I remember that freeze well. The weather had been cold up to that time with some frost / freeze .

On March 2 , a Sunday , at about 1-2 PM , I realized that it was very cold for that time of day ( about 48 F) , cloudy , and a North wind and it looked like the forecast was going to be 

wrong significantly . ( I think that the forecast had been for a warmup following the previous days of cold ).     I went out and did extra covering and etc  on everything that I could . 

That night the all time lowest temperature for March , in Daytona Beach was set .  Records for the date on 3 straight nights .  Also a record low Maximum on the 3rd .

24763870963_d10395a22e_c.jpgDaytona Beach March by Bill H, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Looks like Lakeland Linder hit 25F per NOAA data as well.  For anyone that wants to view the available NOAA data for Florida during that freeze, it's attached as an Excel file.

19800301_MarchFreeze.xlsx

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Interesting. Looks like Parrish hit 29F then. Wasn’t there a pretty wicked frost in central Florida in March in the mid 2000s that did a lot of damage?

• Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Thanks for bringing this one up @Eric in Orlando I had seen this freeze in records before, but hadn't heard much about its effects in FL (although I can't find it now- I remember reading an article about how it really devastated peach blooms and other crops in additional states in the south). 

It's amazing as now it seems to be hard for it to get that cold even during the traditionally coldest winter months in recent winters in much of Central FL.  With so many tropical plants in the Orlando area today- if this event were to happen now, it would be shocking to many people.

Edited by Matthew92
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Baton Rouge had 20, on March 3, 1980. saw it in the records for the date.

Don't remember it but I do recall an odd winter or two when the coldest temperature of the winter came in March. though 

The coldest temperature we had during the winter of 2019-2020 came in November, that was odd. New Orleans' last freezing temp before Feb 2021 was November 2019.

At any rate, we just couldn't catch a break during the grueling stretch of 1977-1985. I have vague memories of these monster events:

January 1977 - exceptionally cold month across the southeast; only Jan 1940 was a colder month in history. Snow flurries in Miami.

January 1978 - wet and cold; NO average high for the month was only 50, lowest on record.

January 1979 - temps in the teens along Gulf Coast. After 3 brutally cold winters in the eastern US, scientists wonder if there's a new 'Little Ice Age'  in the works.

Winter of 1980 - see above; incidentally a terrribly hot summer that year for Texas and surrounding states.

January 1981 - cold and dry; 'Siberian Express' brings 13 to Jacksonville.

January 1982 - 'forgotten' extreme cold wave. 10 degrees in Baton Rouge, 82 a few days later.

1983 - notorious El Nino season of 82-83. A break from the Arctic cold along Gulf Coast but torrential rains instead. Then a big bad Arctic high brings record cold in an already abnormally cold December 1983 (1056 mb in Kansas!) 11 in Houston, upper teens RGV of Texas.  Record cold lasts into early January 1984.

1985 - Another historic freeze, this time targeting the southeast. Most of Georgia fell below zeroF with this one.

I couldn't imagine the discouragement a palm grower would have had during that period.

But at least the music was good during that era.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Sabal_Louisiana said:

Don't remember it but I do recall an odd winter or two when the coldest temperature of the winter came in March. though 

The coldest temperature we had during the winter of 2019-2020 came in November, that was odd. New Orleans' last freezing temp before Feb 2021 was November 2019.

At any rate, we just couldn't catch a break during the grueling stretch of 1977-1985. I have vague memories of these monster events:

January 1977 - exceptionally cold month across the southeast; only Jan 1940 was a colder month in history. Snow flurries in Miami.

January 1978 - wet and cold; NO average high for the month was only 50, lowest on record.

January 1979 - temps in the teens along Gulf Coast. After 3 brutally cold winters in the eastern US, scientists wonder if there's a new 'Little Ice Age'  in the works.

Winter of 1980 - see above; incidentally a terrribly hot summer that year for Texas and surrounding states.

January 1982 - 'forgotten' extreme cold wave. 10 degrees in Baton Rouge, 82 a few days later.

1983 - notorious El Nino season of 82-83. A break from the Arctic cold along Gulf Coast but torrential rains instead. Then a big bad Arctic high brings record cold in an already abnormally cold December 1983 (1056 mb in Kansas!) 11 in Houston, upper teens RGV of Texas.  Record cold lasts into early January 1984.

1985 - Another historic freeze, this time targeting the southeast. Most of Georgia fell below zeroF with this one.

I couldn't imagine the discouragement a palm grower would have had during that period.

I was one of those palm growers in the 80's in St Pete. But never gave up, can't tell you how many coconuts I lost then replanted in the spring after all those freezes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

@Sabal_Louisiana

@Matthew92

Indeed, those temps in the 1970s-1980s for much of the South are complete night and day from those of the 1990s onward (in general).

I've heard on some weather forums that the cold temps of those years in the South/Southeast US were due to the cold phase of the AMO. I've recently read about the slowdown of the Gulf Stream circulation component (AMOC), and I really hope that does not herald a return to such Arctic brutality.

Edited by AnTonY

21 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

1- 74/59

2- 63/30

3- 52/25

4- 70/33

5- 79/53

6- 84/53

7- 82/53

I lived in Jax during that March 1980 freeze we had snow followed by Temps in the low 20s . I was a strange sight seeing the azeleas  covered in snow. I think it froze all the way to Miami

• Upvote 1

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

On 3/4/2021 at 6:22 PM, Sabal_Louisiana said:

I’m 30 and my parents weren’t even of responsible child bearing age during most of this time, so I can’t comment from experience.

However - I remember when I was a kid that my friends dad was always on this passionate 24/7 existential crusade about “global warming is fake!! Twenty-five years ago, they said we were moving into an ice age!! And that was fake, too!!”  He had even kept a TIME magazine from that time with a cover story saying something to the effect of the planet moving into a new ice age. I think it was published in like 1981 or something.  Up until now, I never had any context for the time period he was talking about.  This is super interesting.

Edited by ahosey01