IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Does anyone have pictures of Licualas?

Gbarce

There are so many varieties of palms I'd like to get to know them one genus at a time. I hope you can post pictures of your plants (not taken out of the web because everyone else would most probably have seen those already)

if you can add some comments on how you grow them (or how you've killed them) that would be helpful.  Since these will be of the same genus it would be easier to relate the various comments on how to grow the plants.

If your pictures had had something in it that could show the relative size of the plant that would be great.  because most of the time pictures are of plants going solo so you have no idea how big they really are.

I you have some that are really new and unique please share :D

Thanks!!

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

:) Hi Gene,

Here's the other form of licuala cordata, (split leaf var)

Good drainage, mulch, and a bit of slow release fert

And they grow fine, Don't baby them & watch them grow .

Find more for you soon

Regards Mike.E.

post-657-1185883571_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Here,s Licuala muiltifida , was Licuala 'pre fuyua'

I'll find the close ups, plus other shots.

Cheers for now Regards Mike.E  :)

post-657-1185883946_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Thanks mike it looks like you have a lot of licualas in your collection!! :D

This is a licuala orbicularis.  Its a young plant so the leaves are very compact but I have seen pictures of larger plants with the stems of the leaves being much longer. Seems to be a slow grower.

I bought one before that was dug out of the ground and potted but it soon died.  :(  It must not like being transplanted simillar to the Joeys.

The leaves are much stiffer than the L.grandis or the L. elegans so the leaves spread out neater.

That new leaf has been like that for about 2 weeks and is taking its seet time to fully open.  I will take another  picture over the weekend in a different angle and a familiar object beside it just for scale.

post-1017-1185888288_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Except for my Licuala grandis, all of mine are very young but I will be happy to share photos of them.

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

To metal fan-- and don't forget notes on growing the different  licualas you have.  Good ecperiences and bad will help all of us understand this genus better.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Wow that filifromis is to die for! I have one but its teeny tiny yet. Something to definitely look forward to!

This is my little Licuala ramsayi. The problem with mine is, they are all about the same size, and very young, so they all look very similar.

LRam607.jpg

Licuala is a great genus, and we have quite a few in our garden. One of my favorite areas is this short little driveway that we've named Licuala Lane - plenty of L. ramsayi on both sides

post-22-1185925569_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And believe it or not, but this is a Licuala ramsayi frond. I had to double-check all the other fronds on this particular palm to make sure, and the other fronds are indeed more typical of L. ramsayi.

post-22-1185925671_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And for comparison (even though this is a different individual), this is a typical L. ramsayi frond

post-22-1185925732_thumb.jpg

L. orbicularis

post-22-1185925833_thumb.jpg

And a L. peltata var. sumiwongii frond. These are spectacular palms when they get up in size.

Gene,

Just remembered, you asked about growing conditions - - - as you know we're in a relatively high rainfall area, even though we can certainly experience a dry week, or two, every now and then, so humidity is also relatively high most of the time, and I'm sure the Licualas all love these conditions.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1185926046_thumb.jpg

:) Hi Guys, here's a few more pictures, This is the second nicest

Form of Licuala mattanensis

Mike.

post-657-1185964282_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

I've put a 3" tube on top for scale. :)

post-657-1185964501_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And Trunk, this plant is around 18years old not to bad a 'sp' to grow

Mike

post-657-1185964755_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

This is a 52mm lens cap with ripe L.mapu,

standard size  for L. mattanensis's.

post-657-1185965209_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Here's a better shot of L. multifida.

post-657-1185965387_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

:) Here's Licuala radula another mottled Licuala ,and hardy as well easy to grow, Either Jeff Marcus or Jeff Searle may have this if anyone wants to get one.

A top Licuala

Mike.

post-657-1185965883_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

:) Last one for now, Licuala sarawakensis,

Another one worthy of growing very slow to start

with but once they settle, no worries.

Mike.

post-657-1185966266_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

:) Why not one more , Here's a couple of my Licuala orbiculairs

with C.doxanthus above.

......Mike....

post-657-1185966746_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

well, those are just fantastic!

I don't need to show any more of my infants, they just can't compare to those so I will just keep quiet

This is getting to be a very interesting thread.

To  Mike - I've never sen a mapu seed before -- so thats why they have that banana-like shape.  How may seed are there to a fruit?

To Chalermchart Soorangura (rthink) - Please tell us more about Licuala Filiformis - I have not come across that one in books or the new. And show us more picture!! Do you have shots of a full grown plant?

Thanks

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hi Gene

Yes L. mapu is a different one as well as been shaped like

a banana, they're black seed under that fruit, Only 1

seed in each, as in all Licuala's.

Regards Mike.

I'll post more pic's tomorrow of others.

Gina

Does'nt matter what size plants you have, there beauties

at any size, not only that many can see what there like

at various ages, keep posting ya pic's, they look cool

Regards Mike.

Hello Chalmerchart  :)  hope your keeping warm.

catch up later.

Cheers Mike.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Gene,

The picture i posted is the mature L. filiformis entire leaf form. This plant is not mine and it's around 15-16 years old.

Mike,

Hope your wrist recover soon. Talk to you later.

Usually, L. filiformis has 3-5 segments on its leaf but sometimes it can be found with a lot more segments in its habitat. It starts flowering from the 3rd year growing from seeds here. But the seeds can take up to 2 years to germinate. It's written somewhere that L. filiformis is the synonym with L. triphylla but I cannot find any conclusion on that.

Here is the standard form of L. filiformis.

post-72-1185984795_thumb.jpg

Chalermchart Soorangura

Bangkok, Thailand

http://picasaweb.google.com/csoorangura/My...key=u11QvNs-qbM

Rthink,

According to the Kew website, L. triphylla is indeed the accepted name for L. filiformis.

Bo-Göran

Here's a Licuala I bought from Kapoho Palms in Oct 1999 under the name Licuala sp. big trunk. Any ideas what it could be?

post-22-1185985589_thumb.jpg

And this one is not a mystery: L. grandis

post-22-1185985638_thumb.jpg

hey Mikey what is this fantastic thin leaved species I took the picture of at your place just the other day ?

:P  I want some . Nearly all Licualas are understorey plants and would need shade and protection .

I have some L. spinosa I plan on putting at the top of the creek here , its supposedly the most cold hardy sp. and loves full sun and boggy conditions , to easy for me .

post-354-1186002318_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Welll, here is a young (got it in November 06) Licuala aurantica

LicAur707.jpg

And this is one of my oldest palms, a little over 4 years. Licuala grandis

LGrand707.jpg

Gina,

not to be a party pooper, but according to the Kew site, the accepted name for L. aurantiaca is L. paludosa.

Bo-Göran

(bgl @ Aug. 01 2007,19:09)

Gina,

not to be a party pooper, but according to the Kew site, the accepted name for L. aurantiaca is L. paludosa.

Bo-Göran

Bo,

So I wonder what the palm that many of us growing for many,many years as L. paludosa really is. Because it looks totally different from L. aurantiaca. It holds a more compact head of leaves,verses an open look, and there is no orange coloring on the stems. This is very interesting to learn.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

yes, just in general, this is an interesting issue. But I don't think this is but so unusual. It's my understanding that Basselinia gracilis on Mt. Panie in New Caledonia looks quite different up on the summit compared to lower elevations. I have B. gracilis growing side by side that have quite different looking leaflets. And the 'hookeri' variety has a very distinct look compared to the standard Chambeyronia macrocarpa. And Calyptrocalyx elegans seems to consist of quite a few varieties.

Growing palms, and paying close attention to what they look like at different stages, tend to make us notice the differences (within a species) and maybe over-emphasize the importance of those differences. If someone has 10 kids, they're obviously all going to look different, even though they have the same genetic background. If I germinate 10 seeds from a palm, those palms are probably not all going to look different, but some differences might be expected. And then when you have the same species originate from different areas, and maybe different elevations, rainfall & surrounding vegetation I think it would be more surprising if palms of the same species were exactly identical looking.

Bo-Göran