IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Please help- to split or not to split??

Chris99

Please help! I’ve had this palm for a year now (I think it’s a magesty?) and I’m starting to worry about some of its issues:

It’s 3 ‘trees’ in one pot. One has always been a bit poor and with 2 small leaves which have died in recent weeks, it does have a shoot coming through though, should I remove this weak tree and put it in its own pot?

The 2nd tree is the largest and healthiest, has two new shoots and is the most upright and robust, but it’s always had necrosis on one of the leaves- should I cut this leaf off or just leave it until it’s really bad?

The final tree in the pot is ok, relatively healthy and has two new shoots too, but has really started to lean away from the main body of the plant, to the point that it’s almost touching the carpet with the tips of its leaves.

Does anyone have any advice please? I love this plant but I just feel it’s suffering at the moment and I really don’t want to lose it!! 

Thanks so much in advance,

Christine

198632D9-BB34-46C5-B746-16BA65373ED8.jpeg

45F7AE9F-12EC-4D60-803C-FB2DBE4CA499.jpeg

7BCC3317-E732-49D2-AA6C-96C4144502CF.jpeg

F7B6E6ED-DD33-4061-B6B1-A563E15C0CB2.jpeg

14CCE557-F5B2-4686-A70A-F902E69C682C.jpeg

90494320-0FC8-486C-9641-5F9C659FAB61.jpeg

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Those are Howea forsteriana (Kentia palm). The driest one looks like it's a gonner,  probably due to overwatering/root rot or other issues related to potting mix breakdown or waterlogged. Best to remove it, root ball included. Those brown leaf tips/necrosis look like you've been overwatering. Slow down your watering schedule. Check your potting soil, probably you'll need to change it. Use a well draining one. Must check the roots for rot, search for brown, dark, spongy roots.  You'll need to discard those rooted ones with a clean sharp tool. If possible apply some antifungal on the fresh cuts. Cut fronds (on the 2nd one) only when totally brown/dry, it's unaesthetic, but needed, palms do recycle those nutrientes towards new growth.  And, yes, you may (and should) split them, very carefully and try to minimize root damage (keep as most of the root ball as possible). Howeas are solitary palms, so when stocked in a pot they will compete for nutrients and some will lose the race. 

You may find lots of valuable information on potted Howeas here in the forum, just make a search. Any doubt, please post, someone will surely help you.

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

What Luis said. Also, don't let pots sit in trays of water as that will accelerate root rot. Howeas want individual pots. Make their new pot deeper than the square one in the photos. Welcome to PalmTalk

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi both,

I just wanted to say, thank you for such a warm welcome, and a super informative one. Now I know which kind of palm it is I can start to learn about specific care- it means a lot to me this plant, and a nod in the right direction is really appreciated.

Ok, so I’ve just split it three ways, definitely not the easiest thing to do as it was literally a rectangular knot of roots! No wet rot thankfully but it did smell like old compost, bit musty. I took onboard the advice to get deeper pots, done this for the two healthy ones and the one that’s looking pretty poor (deadish) is in temporary accommodation to see if the new leaf/shoot will take hold.

Can’t thank you enough for the advice, especially on the watering, I was watering it once a week and had just started using what was in the de humidifier tank, so a couple of litres, but I’ll slow down now I know! 

All the best, and massive thanks

Christine 

FC61FAC4-EFB9-485E-B0B4-EF21F70C6DE7.jpeg

880D0503-46FC-4333-A364-982009DCDCB9.jpeg

F29F7B02-B2FE-423A-A3A9-387FCD2BA02F.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chris99 said:

Hi both,

I just wanted to say, thank you for such a warm welcome, and a super informative one. Now I know which kind of palm it is I can start to learn about specific care- it means a lot to me this plant, and a nod in the right direction is really appreciated.

Ok, so I’ve just split it three ways, definitely not the easiest thing to do as it was literally a rectangular knot of roots! No wet rot thankfully but it did smell like old compost, bit musty. I took onboard the advice to get deeper pots, done this for the two healthy ones and the one that’s looking pretty poor (deadish) is in temporary accommodation to see if the new leaf/shoot will take hold.

Can’t thank you enough for the advice, especially on the watering, I was watering it once a week and had just started using what was in the de humidifier tank, so a couple of litres, but I’ll slow down now I know! 

All the best, and massive thanks

Christine 

Hi, Christine! You're welcome.

Good job you made on those Howeas. Both root ball and over all appearance look quite healthy. They will probably show a slight wilting (or not) due to root disturbance and acclimating to the new pot, but nothing to worry about. I'm sorry for the third one, it looks like it's a goner.

Now, water only when the top two inches of the soil are dry. Give them a couple of months to acclimate, afterwards you should use some fertilizer at half of the advised dosis.

Happy growing!

Greetings, Luís

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

What Luis said, and those two look great and should continue to in those pots.

Good job.   :-)

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.