IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia fallaensis how hardy?

Palmfarmer

does it have any chance in my climate i could not find a freeze damage data thread about it.

@kinzyjr has a spreadsheet of cold damage observations from different areas (thanks for putting this together Jeremy!).   One report from Orlando shows leaf damage up to 20% at 29 degrees F, others in S. Texas and FL experienced similar damage at 26 degrees F (-3 C) but nothing below that temp.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

They are a few degrees more cold hardy than roystonea regia.  In the cold event 2018(30F for 10? hours, advective) both my copernicia baileyana and copernicia fallaensis had zero leaflet damage, no sign of any damage then or later.  My two royals lost 1/2 to 2/3rds their leaves to burn but came back.  If you can grow a royal, a bailey or fallaense will be no problem.  They will be slow rowers for about 5 years, then once trunking and established they will be medium speed growers.  Fallaense prices are high, bailey's much less.   They both look great, the bailey is slightly more prone to potassium deficiency which is the biggest issue for the cuban copernicias, they are fertilizer hogs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

My small Fallaensis and Baileyana saw 28F and frost, and then a few weeks later 30F and heavy frost.  No damage.  I saw @FishEyeAquaculture's Bailey and Fallaensis in February, and they went through some pretty heavy frosts and cold with no noticeable damage.  I forgot the minimum temperatures at his place though, but I think it was colder than my house.

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

They are a few degrees more cold hardy than roystonea regia.  In the cold event 2018(30F for 10? hours, advective) both my copernicia baileyana and copernicia fallaensis had zero leaflet damage, no sign of any damage then or later.  My two royals lost 1/2 to 2/3rds their leaves to burn but came back.  If you can grow a royal, a bailey or fallaense will be no problem.  They will be slow rowers for about 5 years, then once trunking and established they will be medium speed growers.  Fallaense prices are high, bailey's much less.   They both look great, the bailey is slightly more prone to potassium deficiency which is the biggest issue for the cuban copernicias, they are fertilizer hogs.

Yeah Royals are grown here from small plants to pretty big palms without protection so should be fine then. we had -4 one hour this winter for one hour and that was the coldest. My small Majesty got a lot of burn, but it is pushing out new spears now. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

...I saw @FishEyeAquaculture's Bailey and Fallaensis in February, and they went through some pretty heavy frosts and cold with no noticeable damage.  I forgot the minimum temperatures at his place though, but I think it was colder than my house.

We have C. macroglossa, C. baileyana, and C. fallaensis in the ground here in Dade City, FL.  The baileyana and fallaensis are the most exposed and both have seen more frost than I would like this season and have seen as low as 27F more than once.  All three species look the same as they did back in September, just bigger  

• Like 2

I cant seem to find much seeds online, but ebay got some seedlings. are seedlings any challenging thing with copernica other than them being fertilizer pigs?

25 minutes ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

We have C. macroglossa, C. baileyana, and C. fallaensis in the ground here in Dade City, FL.  The baileyana and fallaensis are the most exposed and both have seen more frost than I would like this season and have seen as low as 27F more than once.  All three species look the same as they did back in September, just bigger  

Great to hear how was your growth rate? how long are we talking to get out of the seedling stage? yes 27 in fl is pretty cold due to the high humidity and potential for rain.

10 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

I cant seem to find much seeds online, but ebay got some seedlings. are seedlings any challenging thing with copernica other than them being fertilizer pigs?

they are very sensitive to root damage.  Be very careful handling bare rooted specimens.  You should make sure they have high drainage soil with good moisture retention and when you upsize the pots be very careful not to damage roots.

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank