IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Possible northernmost inland palm in the U. S. A

Palmlover.

15 minutes ago, Teegurr said:

Nah bro there are palms in Portland.

Mother and grandparents lived in Portland area and no palms they said their only as far north as Salem with hevy cold protection

2 minutes ago, Palmlover. said:

Mother and grandparents lived in Portland area and no palms they said their only as far north as Salem with hevy cold protection

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.537848,-122.6605154,3a,75y,338.75h,94.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6X7djVZ3vyQRcfiAz6w4Tg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There you go man. Two healthy, tall Trachycarpus fortunei specimens in Portland.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

Those looked great, kinda like a washy.

Oh, I didn't find them myself. I just was looking on another post, but yeah, they do look washy-like.

but portland is the west coast and it is warmer than the east coast. Seattle is zone 8b and at that same latitude on the east coast would be zone 4.

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

inland i say parts of Tennessee, Oklahoma, Arkansas.

this is from Little rock Arkansas. The Butia gets protected as well as the washy, but not the Trachies.

Edited by Palmfarmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, climate change virginia said:

but portland is the west coast and it is warmer than the east coast. Seattle is zone 8b and at that same latitude on the east coast would be zone 4.

It has the Pacific Ocean to moderate its climate, is between the mountains and the sea and is less subject to Arctic fronts. The East Coast has winter winds coming from the north and west, low mountains that don't block Arctic fronts and little help from the Atlantic. The worst of all possible worlds.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

14 hours ago, Palmlover. said:

There are palms well up into British Columbia on the West Coast.  Tons of members on this board growing palms in the Seattle area.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Palms especially Trachycarpus are pretty common west of the Cascades here in Oregon.  We don't get cold enough for them to require protection.  They grow all the way up in BC without protection as well.

I think I'm at about 25 palm species in the ground, no issues.

Most commonly you'll see Chamaerops, Trachycarpus fortunei and wagnerianus.  Jubaea and Butia are far less common, and when you head further south you'll likely find Washingtonia.

There are three nurseries that specialize in Palms in the Portland/Salem area.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Palms especially Trachycarpus are pretty common west of the Cascades here in Oregon.  We don't get cold enough for them to require protection.  They grow way up in BC without protection.

I think I'm at about 25 species in the ground, no issues.

Most commonly you'll see Chamaerops, Trachycarpus fortunei and wagnerianus.  Jubaea and Butia are far less common, and when you head further south you'll likely find Washingtonia.

I always feel like someone should try Juania in Eureka.

Not this far north but at least marginally relevant.

Juania in Brookings might just work.

15 hours ago, Palmlover. said:

I think they might not have the "palm eye".  They are literally in every neighborhood, and very old palms too.  In my small HOA there has to be at least 20 big palms alone aside from mine, if you check out my YouTube page you'll see some videos I've posted.  Here's 4 at a Doctors office I visited yesterday.

Location of said palms.

https://goo.gl/maps/Puw2BUP7prnVCPNs5

3 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I think they might not have the "palm eye".  They are literally in every neighborhood, and very old palms too.  In my small HOA there has to be at least 20 big palms alone aside from mine, if you check out my YouTube page you'll see some videos I've posted.  Here's 4 at a Doctors office I visited yesterday.

Location of said palms.

https://goo.gl/maps/Puw2BUP7prnVCPNs5

Those look really good! The trachies at the Whataburger nearby here look similar to those, slightly shorter.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

This is encouraging! It was a mere dream only a few decades ago to have palms being typical so far up the west coast! There was much interest in the early years of TIPS to grow palms such as Trachys & even Ceroxlyns. Tell me, are any of those famous wax palms being successfully grown there? Also, shaving brush palms ( Rhopalostylis )? They are said to prefer lower 40s* to any higher or lower temps?

2 minutes ago, palmnut-fry said:

Tell me, are any of those famous wax palms being successfully grown there? Also, shaving brush palms ( Rhopalostylis )?

I think we might be too cold for these, at least inland.  At the southern end of the coast they might just work, but I have not heard of any in the State.  I wish we had a couple Palmtalk members from down there to fill us in on what people are growing in their backyards.  Gold beach to Brookings is zone 9B and generally doesn't get too hot in the summer.  When I was down that way what I saw growing that you don't find around Portland were all types of citrus, Tibouchina, Norfolk Island Pines, Yucca gigantea, CIDP,  Washingtonia palms and Pygmy dates as well as a ton of monster agaves.

• Like 1

I thought this was a joke at first because that house in the photo is just a few blocks from me.  We have so many T. fortunei around here because they grow like weeds.  Lately every other yard has one.  They grow all the way into Canada on the west coast.  I've started growing a bunch of different Trachycarpus because everyone has fortunei for the most part.  One of my neighbors has a really tall one in his backyard and it towers over his house so you can see it from the sidewalk out front.  I'll try to get a photo.

Here's my small Trachycarpus fortunei in Salem, as well as a small Jubaea chilensis.

fortunei5.jpg

Jubaea10.jpg

Edited by Fallen Munk