Sign in to follow this  
MTY

USVI Palm guide - Washingtonia robusta?

MTY

Hi all.  New member here from St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands.  I've identified at least 12 palm varieties in the condo grounds where I'm residing, and I'm putting together a guide/walking tour for folks here to learn about them.    But I need help!  This palm identification thing seems to only get more difficult the more I learn...

I'm going to post a few threads to help identify some that have confused me - any help is appreciated!  After, I'll post the full guide when I complete it.   Thanks in advance!

Are these Washingtonia Robusta/Mexican Fan Palms?  Are the first two photos a different variety than the last three?  I thought these were Sabal at first but there are varying degrees of toothy armature on the petioles. 

IMG-1597.jpg

IMG-1598.jpg

IMG-1593.jpg

IMG-1579.jpg

IMG-1580.jpg

JLM

First 2 pics looks like Filibusta to me, 3rd looks like Robusta maybe, and last 2 looks like Filifera. This is just what they look like to me, i may not be right.

• Like 1

Fusca
1 hour ago, MTY said:

Are these Washingtonia Robusta/Mexican Fan Palms?  Are the first two photos a different variety than the last three?  I thought these were Sabal at first but there are varying degrees of toothy armature on the petioles. 

Hi, welcome to Palmtalk!  These palms to appear to be Washingtonias.  There is a lot of hybridizing between W. filifera and W. robusta so there are a lot of hybrid "filibusta" palms in the nursery trade and with them a lot of variation.  Pure robusta have a lot of purplish red color on the base of the leaf petioles, thin trunks, cottony fibers and glossy green leaves.  Pure filifera have zero purplish red color on the leaf petioles, thick trunks, lots of cottony fibers and dull grey/green leaves.  They tend to lose some of the armament on the petioles as the palm ages - sometimes tall palms appear to have almost no armament.  Robusta and filibusta both grow fast compared to filifera.  I agree mostly with @JLM's assessment but I think they are likely a mix of filibusta and robusta.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• LunaBlue
      By LunaBlue
      Hi, new to the forum and palms in general. 
      I got this washingtonia robusta and was acclimatizing it when it started yellowing several fronds. I was super careful about watering, so couldn't be an overwatering issue. Possibly also shipping stress?
      Today I pulled it out of it's pot and turns out it was pretty root bound. And as such was not getting enough water maybe. Untangled the root ball a bit and potted up. Well draining potting mix.
      Any advice on how to help it survive? It will go out for the summer once the weather will be warmer. Location Estonia, so will stay in pot.  Currently it is in the corner of east-south facing window. Is getting some hours of sun. I have read that they are pretty tough, so hope will keep on growing.
      Second question: does robusta usually grow side shoots? Or is this some multi trunk cultivar? Getting two new shoots off the main stem. 
      Thank you! 

• IVO
      By IVO
      Hello! I have 3 washingtonia robustas growing from seeds in 1.5 gallon pots. This spring I'm going to repot them into bigger ones. So my question is. How important to them is root damage, because some of roots are sticking out from drain holes and there is no way rather that clip them off? 
      My 6 moths old palms and me on the picture.

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Is this normal? I noticed the oldest frond on my new Washingtonia robusta that I got from Lowes (really cheap) was dying in a weird way, it is almost like the way some diseases start in palms. But the thing is it was like this for a few weeks now, I think I am just being paranoid. Does this look normal? Maybe it was just damaged so it is dying like this? I just am hoping this doesn’t have some disease. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      One of my Washingtonia robusta seedlings leaned sideways a bit when it was in the community pot and started to grow that way. I potted it up with the base of the small trunk pointing up. Will this seedling straighten out? 

• Brad1234565
      By Brad1234565
      Hi,
      Please help, I have three Washingtonia Robusta, I have researched online as much as I can but am seeing so much conflicting information.
      I brought 2 Washingtonia Robusta or mexican fan palms, and one pot had two growing in one, so I hosed down the root ball and untangled the roots and re potted, the two I split are in smaller 36 cm pots, and one I put into a large 60 cm barrel pot. They came 100cm in height, and looked nice and healthy. as soon as I re-potted them they immediately flopped over and the fronds all closed up.  the soil mix I looked up and mixed john innes no.3 and half all purpose compost, which was what recommended on a video I watched. I got a bag of miracle grow enriched compost , which I have since found out can give the roots burn due to slow realized fertilizer in the soil. the plants are looking really bad. I don't have a clue what to do, I read something that it could be transplant shock so bare with it, somethings saying to water it every day some saying to let the soil dry.
      Please any advise would be really appreciated, Just want them to be health as possible.

I am in the south of the UK so the climate should be fine for them until winter when I was plant to bring them in the house.