IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How long before cold hardy palms start growing post storm?

Sabal King

Last video showed a self proclaimed expert.....I get annoyed with people who are proud of their ignorance haha

This guy has it right.

So something interesting I have noticed... Two of the bigger Trachys have noticeable growth, spears moving quickly north and showing green.  The other two I have marked the other day but haven't seen anything yet.. no spear pull, no petiole pull, they are nice and strong so I think they are just slower.  Question though.. all four, the bottoms (closest to the ground trunk) are getting wider, and you can see the fuzz around the trunk not splitting but noticably coming apart and it's getting larger.  I'm assuming horizontal growth is good and not just vertical growth.  I'm taking this as an indicator they are still growing, two are vertical, two horizontal but will catch up eventually.

Another thing I've noticed is they LOVE water.. If i don't give them 6G or so of water nearly every day, the fronds (even the brown ones) become crispy and dry, but when watered heavily they are softer, even though the brown persists from the storm damage... thirsty trachys.  Is this normal?

• Like 2

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

18 minutes ago, tlow said:

Another thing I've noticed is they LOVE water.. If i don't give them 6G or so of water nearly every day, the fronds (even the brown ones) become crispy and dry, but when watered heavily they are softer, even though the brown persists from the storm damage... thirsty trachys.  Is this normal?

From my experience, "crispy and dry" is better than soft and wet.  I've noticed that whenever the remnant of the cold damaged spear gets wet, mold and rot deepens.  So I refrain from any watering until all damaged tissue is pushed out of the crown. 

They do love water in the proper season....when its really warm they will rocket

with plenty of water but when temps are cool its not as necessary.

Also,Trachys at some point will grow out some thick roots as the trunk matures...

almost like the prop roots corn puts out-

my Princeps although nuked by cold after being planted and then being moved

to the new place has not done a lot up top but is dong the root blaster thing,

I will try and get a pic posted.

• Like 1

I'm in San Antonio for the weekend and see a lot of growth on Washingtonia, some Phoenix palms. Most of the Washingtonia are a little thicker, so maybe fillibusta hybrids or even pure filifera. Seems like they're a little farther along than in Houston? Maybe because it's been warmer? Yesterday got up to 91 in SA!

I also noticed some date palms in Houston pushing growth while driving along I-10 in Houston.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, necturus said:

I'm in San Antonio for the weekend and see a lot of growth on Washingtonia, some Phoenix palms. Most of the Washingtonia are a little thicker, so maybe fillibusta hybrids or even pure filifera. Seems like they're a little farther along than in Houston? Maybe because it's been warmer? Yesterday got up to 91 in SA!

I also noticed some date palms in Houston pushing growth while driving along I-10 in Houston.

All the San Antonio Filifera are growing at a rapid rate and have noticeably green centers. 

So here is what is happening with ALL of my Trachys..  The base is getting larger and while two of them the spears aren't noticably higher, I can see there is green beneath the part of the fronds that were exposed to the freeze... I think in time they will all be fine.  IMG_20210328_104801.thumb.JPG.493267761671034811ddaf83aee5e6ca.JPG

IMG_20210328_104807.thumb.JPG.f38411da061139a3c01c52f0cf4671be.JPG

IMG_20210328_105103.thumb.JPG.3db10b0a2fff2667c24b8a3cce690486.JPG

You can see these are pushing hard and there is PLENTY of green..

IMG_20210328_105059.thumb.JPG.7d528617ba78dfdc4548259ec3aba478.JPG

I marked this one (one of my least showing growth ones) and it's no longer a straight line across so it's doing something... I just need to stay patient.  No spear pull, no pull of any sorts they are stiff, and feel great.

IMG_20210328_105119.thumb.JPG.3b84407188acfab2b19d547600370b6f.JPG

This is how the above Trachy looks (sad without looking at the spear)

IMG_20210328_105146.thumb.JPG.70bd36583243e6f5d69ceb856871643d.JPG

I have 2x more Sabal Birminghams that need a home, and this week I have another Trachy Bulgaria coming (5 yr old) and a Texas Sabal to replace one of the ones that didn't make it.  I'm thinking of adding a CIDP as well to our collection.

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

On 3/28/2021 at 2:59 PM, tlow said:

IMG_20210328_105146.thumb.JPG.70bd36583243e6f5d69ceb856871643d.JPG

What is all the black?  I saw med fan palm like that at Lowes...

2 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

What is all the black?  I saw med fan palm like that at Lowes...

Evidently my iPhone camera blows... the trunk is nice and brown and some of the petioles (oldest) are starting to darken and die so I've trimmed some of those off but left all of the green ones in tact even if the fronds are lousy looking.  Should I be trimming essentially anything that's black and dead looking (petioles), or leave them if they are green?  I've seen some people literally just trim everything minus new pushing spears.  I'm hesitant to over-prune and cause more stress.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 8:27 AM, tlow said:

So something interesting I have noticed... Two of the bigger Trachys have noticeable growth, spears moving quickly north and showing green.  The other two I have marked the other day but haven't seen anything yet.. no spear pull, no petiole pull, they are nice and strong so I think they are just slower.  Question though.. all four, the bottoms (closest to the ground trunk) are getting wider, and you can see the fuzz around the trunk not splitting but noticably coming apart and it's getting larger.  I'm assuming horizontal growth is good and not just vertical growth.  I'm taking this as an indicator they are still growing, two are vertical, two horizontal but will catch up eventually.

The crispy could be from cold damage.  I've had mine for 12 years, so it's moving along.  It has pushed three spears since Feb, but the older fronds turned crispy, but now the new ones are staying green. 

4 hours ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

The crispy could be from cold damage.  I've had mine for 12 years, so it's moving along.  It has pushed three spears since Feb, but the older fronds turned crispy, but now the new ones are staying green. 

Ours were planted in October, but are larger probably 20G+ and they are pushing that nasty freeze damaged stuff upward, two are noticably showing green and moving quick, one has just one spear in the middle of which I can see\touch about .25" of it, and it hasn't moved yet but no pulls of any sort (petioles, or anything), the other is making progress, albeit slower than the other two.  I'm hopeful all four will make it just fine.. I'm adding a T. Bulgaria this week to our collection.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 9:49 PM, Jimhardy said:

Acaver100 on E-bay. L.V. Nevada 

This is funny. I bought from the same guy earlier 5 seedlings of Filifera and I was asking him if he is sure that they are Filifera and not Robusta. 

5 hours ago, CiprianS said:

This is funny. I bought from the same guy earlier 5 seedlings of Filifera and I was asking him if he is sure that they are Filifera and not Robusta. 

Nice guy just not sure if he knows what he's selling, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Have you planted the Filiferas in the ground already? The ones that I got are 13” or higher from the seller’s description. Can they be planted directly or do we have to wait a bit? Also, how can we know if they are Filifera since they are so small? 

Just now, CiprianS said:

Have you planted the Filiferas in the ground already? The ones that I got are 13” or higher from the seller’s description. Can they be planted directly or do we have to wait a bit? Also, how can we know if they are Filifera since they are so small? 

Half of mine are in the ground doing fine pushing new spears, half are in pots in my fenced in garden area... Full sun in both.  They're doing fine, and yea we have no idea if they are filifera but he is very confident about it so we'll find out.. Right now it's a crap shoot.

I hope he is right with them. Can you please post some photos with the ones in the ground that are already pushing spears? 

Usually Mexicans Single leaf seedlings are deep green.

California will be lighter green and more prone to spotting from water diseases. They die off easier. They really should be potted under a canopy until 1 or 5 gallon and watered from below. If the are carefree then they are Robustas.

• Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

On 4/1/2021 at 8:41 AM, tlow said:

Half of mine are in the ground doing fine pushing new spears, half are in pots in my fenced in garden area... Full sun in both.  They're doing fine, and yea we have no idea if they are filifera but he is very confident about it so we'll find out.. Right now it's a crap shoot.

Can you take some photos of them, please? I am curios to see them since probably on Monday I will also receive mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Really hoping fir sone advice. These are/were my beautiful sabals here In dfw. Are they alive? One has green grids but the center fronds are brown. The other not as much green anywhere. I am sick over these and hoping I can get sone advice. Does green mean alive even though nothing new is pushing out? Any help appreciated. 

F06DC8FC-709D-4516-A966-14A398362332.jpeg

F5B8DB7C-0C69-4643-8514-1974E9664D97.jpeg

F1CE8F65-47A8-4F97-BEC6-E98996F59241.jpeg

D4205E1C-24E3-4140-9E4B-D894061CA1A6.jpeg

E79DD9E9-B23A-4AE2-9BCC-1B509BE1072E.jpeg

1 hour ago, pinstripepat said:

Really hoping fir sone advice. These are/were my beautiful sabals here In dfw. Are they alive? One has green grids but the center fronds are brown. The other not as much green anywhere. I am sick over these and hoping I can get sone advice. Does green mean alive even though nothing new is pushing out? Any help appreciated. 

1. Remove dead fronds,

2. Horizontal line across the spear and old fronds to see growth

3. If not growing in a few days, the spear is rotten. Remove as much of the crown as needed to pull out the spear,

4. Treat interchangeably with copper and peroxide. You can spray a little bit of insecticide.

5. Protect from rain, for example, paper trash bag. No plastic!

6. WAIT!!!

Edited by smatofu

Thanks Smatofu. I did the line a week or so ago, no movement. Can you guide on how to cut? Straight across with a sawzall (i.e. cutting parallel to the ground)? Or do I cut into the crown in sections but not cutting all the way through?

PS... I treated right after the freeze in February with Copper Fungicide. 

Again, thank you. 

Edited by pinstripepat

43 minutes ago, pinstripepat said:

Thanks Smatofu. I did the line a week or so ago, no movement. Can you guide on how to cut? Straight across with a sawzall (i.e. cutting parallel to the ground)? Or do I cut into the crown in sections but not cutting all the way through?

PS... I treated right after the freeze in February with Copper Fungicide. 

Again, thank you. 

Dead fronds - regular cuts/pruning.

When you get around spear, "disassemble" the crown, cut small pieces and pull at the spear.  Do it until you pull out the spear and see somehow healthy tissue.

This is what I did with my sabal.

Basically, like with any wound, clean out the damage tissue, leave healthy tissue. 

Edited by smatofu

Do I leave the green fronds and work around them? Some are green up to the fan area? Pics posted above.

7 minutes ago, pinstripepat said:

Do I leave the green fronds and work around them? Some are green up to the fan area? Pics posted above.

I would say leave as much green as possible, if you can get access to the spear. The goal is to pull the spear, to see what is inside, and to treat. 

Again, first check if it is growing 

Edited by smatofu