IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Houston sports thread

JohnAndSancho

Spoilers I'm a Cubs and Saints fan and hate the Astros 

But James Harden WHY

JJ Watt WHY*

*very much aware that he was cut but dude did so much for the city 

Born and raised in Houston area so I'm a big fan of everything Houston including the sports teams. Unfortunately right now is a very hard time to be a Houston sports fan. 

Rockets: James got everything he wanted here then dropped us when it didn't work out. Dude is crazy talented but the way he left says way more about him then us. I think Tillman wants to win so in the long run so we will be fine here. Just have a couple rough years then it will get better. 

Astros: Not sure if you always hated them or because of recent events. Either way I won't argue with anyone who hates them. I will not make excuses for what they did. As a huge Astros fan is was so thrilling when they beat the Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers to win the 2017 world series. Something Sports Illustrated predicted a few years prior. That year they had the greatest offense in History. It was like a Hollywood movie or fate. As thrilling as it was to win it was equally disappointing to find out it was all built on dishonesty. I went from being proud to ashamed. I had bought a ton of Astros gear that I now haven't worn since the scandal came to light. Boston did the same thing the following year with the same mastermind and won the 2018 world series so it sure seems to have been enough to get the winning edge. A lot of Astros fans claim that it doesn't matter because the Red Sox and Yankees have always cheated. If true it doesn't excuse what happened here in Houston. 

Texans: At this point they aren't even worth talking about. I used to live and breathe for that team. I couldn't tell you how many Cowboys fans I made enemies with. I used to believe the Mc Nair families BS when they said they were committed to bringing a championship to Houston. I now know it was just lip service. The only thing they are committed to is being just good enough to keep the stadium sold out and people buying merchandise. Now that Cal is in charge it's a total train wreck. What is up with this Jack Easterby mess!? DeAndre Hopkins gone, JJ Watt gone, Deshaun Watson soon to be gone. Every move they make is just another embarrassment. My Fandom is hanging on by a thread. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I live in League City but I'm from Jersey, so Yankees, Giants, and....NETS!

Thanks for Harden! He's pretty unbelievable.  I hated watching him play when he was on the Rockets, but I appreciate him more now..I wonder why. The rockets really screwed up not taking Jarret Allen.  He would have been a great building block for them.  You never know, Harden may go back after winning a few chips in Brooklyn.  He did say he has unfinished business there.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure the Harden trade has had a huge financial impact on all of the Houston strip clubs :floor:

On 3/16/2021 at 9:04 PM, Keys6505 said:

I live in League City but I'm from Jersey, so Yankees, Giants, and....NETS!

Thanks for Harden! He's pretty unbelievable.  I hated watching him play when he was on the Rockets, but I appreciate him more now..I wonder why. The rockets really screwed up not taking Jarret Allen.  He would have been a great building block for them.  You never know, Harden may go back after winning a few chips in Brooklyn.  He did say he has unfinished business there.

The only unfinished business Hardin has here is his brand new restaurant. 

On 3/16/2021 at 10:18 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm sure the Harden trade has had a huge financial impact on all of the Houston strip clubs :floor:

Ain't that the truth!! At least he got his kicks the legal way. It's looking like Deshaun should have spent more time in the strip clubs and less time on the massage table! 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HtownPalms said:

Ain't that the truth!! At least he got his kicks the legal way. It's looking like Deshaun should have spent more time in the strip clubs and less time on the massage table! 

If Bill O'Brien was still the GM, he woulda traded Watson for a half eaten dinner from Pappadeaux and a 6th rounder. 

6 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

If Bill O'Brien was still the GM, he woulda traded Watson for a half eaten dinner from Pappadeaux and a 6th rounder. 

That sounds about right! 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HtownPalms said:

That sounds about right! 

*chicken dinner, not even the good stuff. Pretty sure that's about what he got in return for D. Hop. 

On 3/3/2021 at 3:54 PM, HtownPalms said:

Astros: Not sure if you always hated them or because of recent events. Either way I won't argue with anyone who hates them. I will not make excuses for what they did. As a huge Astros fan is was so thrilling when they beat the Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers to win the 2017 world series. Something Sports Illustrated predicted a few years prior. That year they had the greatest offense in History. It was like a Hollywood movie or fate. As thrilling as it was to win it was equally disappointing to find out it was all built on dishonesty. I went from being proud to ashamed. I had bought a ton of Astros gear that I now haven't worn since the scandal came to light. Boston did the same thing the following year with the same mastermind and won the 2018 world series so it sure seems to have been enough to get the winning edge. A lot of Astros fans claim that it doesn't matter because the Red Sox and Yankees have always cheated. If true it doesn't excuse what happened here in Houston. 

As a big Dodger fan, I've pretty much hated them for awhile... But gave them their due... Until the cheating scandle came to light... And really no remorse from the players... Then the Red Sox... Same thing... I remember a heavy weight boxer that had a fight won, but just couldn't stop himself from throwing low blows... The ref stoped the fight and disqualified him... That should have happened with baseball.. Don't give the ring to the Dodgers, but take it away from the cheaters... I feel sorry for the Astro fans.. I get to feel hate, but they only get shame... And it wasn't the fans fault... Post like this, proves that there are people out there with scrupuls... So thank you for what you said...

Butch

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Butch said:

As a big Dodger fan, I've pretty much hated them for awhile... But gave them their due... Until the cheating scandle came to light... And really no remorse from the players... Then the Red Sox... Same thing... I remember a heavy weight boxer that had a fight won, but just couldn't stop himself from throwing low blows... The ref stoped the fight and disqualified him... That should have happened with baseball.. Don't give the ring to the Dodgers, but take it away from the cheaters... I feel sorry for the Astro fans.. I get to feel hate, but they only get shame... And it wasn't the fans fault... Post like this, proves that there are people out there with scrupuls... So thank you for what you said...

Butch

Butch,

No problem man. Most Astros fans didn't believe it at first, but as reality set in most were just left feeling embarrassed and betrayed. Unfortunately a good amount of fans started defending what happened, but a whole lot more feel the way I do. Before the scandal came out you couldn't go anywhere around here without throngs of people wearing Astros shirts, now hardly any. I grew up during the Bagwell and Biggio  days. Those guys never won it all, but I will always remember them with awesome memories unlike the 2014-present Astros. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1