IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Newbee Intro

Looking Glass

Hello Palm People!  I'm new to the site, and recently bought a home and started modifying the landscape to grow some palms (pics to follow).  Most of my life experience with palms consists of slowly torturing Majesty Palms to death in pots in the Northeastern USA.   I've been at the new place for almost a year, and things are going OK in the cooperative urban-tropical climate, but I'll need your help, no doubt, with suggestions and issues.  Thank the Big Guy in the Sky for forums like this!   Here's how it started out..... 

Initial boring slate after planter box grass cleared out....

IMG_5333.thumb.jpeg.0732caa5cf9e5e484f9d14d5423fe2b6.jpeg

Front yard a bit of a mess...

IMG_5334.thumb.jpeg.8d2d576cb753d46dab36fe48efccb911.jpeg

Side Shot (typical view from inside)...

IMG_5180.thumb.jpeg.1576091b86c8f725bb0e26d5fe8564e0.jpeg

3/4ths of trees in the neighborhood are various palms.....

IMG_5145.thumb.jpeg.1c83a860f0e105a518d6c7c0c68e4cb9.jpeg

Progress over 8 months to follow below (just testing to see if I can get pics to work).....  Man do things grow violently down here (both plants and fungi)!  

What would you do with what you see here????

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 6

Step one,  June 2020, was to clear out all the yellow alder, and various deteriorated ornamental grasses.  Then, to get all crazy, adding color and doing things that didn't make a lot of sense to start....

IMG_5404.thumb.jpeg.2dc7ff743b5646af5b992c3c380ae88e.jpeg

The things that were living in all that dead grass...  

IMG_5406.thumb.jpeg.d44170dd7c9a8f8fa6e5c690864d24b4.jpeg

Baby Phoenix Roebelenii and Cat Palms (Chamaedorea cataractarum)!

IMG_5451.thumb.jpeg.4e98da94ac67ee1bdb9ab9355285773b.jpeg

Baby Bottle/Hyophorbe lagenicaulis....

IMG_5462.thumb.jpeg.145ca37380d76d9d60afa20e757289bc.jpeg

Ahhh...  Some cover at least...

IMG_5478.thumb.jpeg.0e70811d1e058fdb726e6cab10b66c94.jpeg

Man this Sabal is a beat up ugly duckling!  Add Roebeleniis...

IMG_5449.thumb.jpeg.40230c4f401b3daffd5457e6d215fe60.jpeg

Remove Bushes....  Widen front bed...  Add more Roebeleniis... and a baby Spindle/Hyophorbe verschaffeltii.IMG_5546.thumb.jpeg.1208114b57c069800ed14901da0a40e8.jpeg

That was a lot of sweating in the Florida summer sun (and rain).  

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2

8-9 Months later things have really filled in.  The front Chinese Fan Palms?/Livistona chinensis? are doing OK...

IMG_5763.thumb.jpeg.185b20140c17b863ff5874d476f69490.jpeg

This spot escalated quickly..... with the cats and roebelinni going nuts....

IMG_5724.thumb.jpeg.6900e21643fe3ba2c0304f78114d7147.jpeg

The Bottle put out 1 leaf per month and fattened up during the warm months, but only opened a single leaf over Dec-February.  

IMG_5769.thumb.jpeg.581c8036bc9f177359ef5b9ffa5a8131.jpeg

The cats grew fast, but the one near the wall got a fungal infection and slowed down.  I used peroxide and copper and we'll see if she makes it.....    

IMG_5767.thumb.jpeg.5654aa22f7914c59a1b3a592d6560cb4.jpeg

The front area filled in great and the roebeleniis grew a bunch, but one has very early bud rot starting.  The spindle grew slower than the bottle so far.....  The Sabal is as ratty as ever.   IMG_5765.thumb.jpeg.2f9c011558cdb2e57c88763b01a7af04.jpeg

I also picked up three baby Majesty's from Lowes, and put them in pots by the pool.  They of course gave me the most trouble despite constant feeding and watering.  Growing, but turning mostly yellow, so I repotted in a lot of peat and manure after 6 months, and they greened up and shot up.   Also got a bunch of other assorted things in pots out back.....   

Majesty Palms initially....  

IMG_5390.thumb.jpeg.e6421cee1d9866af187b1ad274453c9d.jpeg

Majesty Palms after 9 months outside..... Repotted in rich, heavy mix of peat, manure, and some wood chips mixed with potting soil.  Moved to the shady side...  They were pretty yellow, but greened up after that.   

IMG_5771.thumb.jpeg.7e27eb4da5c45ff1000bf197b44de16b.jpeg

IMG_5772.thumb.jpeg.d0363ae66634e6cc87b553a46ec860af.jpeg

Random assorted potted interest.....

IMG_5770.thumb.jpeg.828ec8f06a71457b632d5579875a8c6c.jpeg

So things seem to grow pretty fast here...   Mostly problems with fungus and alkaline soil, but able to overcome major problems so far.   Thanks for letting an amateur lurk the site and learn from all of your postings.   This year, there will be a major project to the back and side, with maybe some more interesting palms!

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Mate it all looks great, you have done really well.

I think that you are a little hard on the Sable though, that is how they look.  Great.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

42 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

Mate it all looks great, you have done really well.

I think that you are a little hard on the Sable though, that is how they look.  Great.

Thanks!  I must admit that Sabals aren't my favorite, but I do admire their durability and persistence.  They seem to pop up and grow in every neglected crevice down here, wherever they can find a pile of sand mixed with old cigarette butts to take root in.  Some of the ones with twisty, misshapen trunks and full top growth can look pretty cool actually.  

I was worried at first that it might be dying.  I did fix up the soil around it, and feed it well this past year, which produced a bunch of new growth, but did not make it any more handsome.  The good news is, it seems to produce its own pile of mulch, with old boots, branches, and various other forms of fallen woody detritus that I smash up and spread around.  

5 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

a pile of sand mixed with old cigarette butts to take root in.  

Hey! My amendment process was supposed to be proprietary!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to PalmTalk! Huge improvement with your garden, well done! Nice to see your mix of palms and colorful plants.

• Like 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Welcome. Your yard looks great. Trimming all those roebeliniis will get old and painful. One triple was more than enough for us. I must respectfully disagree about the Sabal palmetto. It will outlast all the tropicals during the next harsh winter and is the FL State Tree. I hope you will look into adding some nice palmate palms, i.e., Licualas, Coccothrinax. Don't be someone who thinks only pinnate palms are good enough for you. Keep up the good work.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Welcome to PalmTalk @Looking Glass!

I think you did a good job overall, but don't beat up that sabal too bad, some TLC and you'll have a looker. Check out BGI's PalmGain fertilizer. It is my favorite and works beautifully for me. 

They may be overused, but Adonidia merrillii (well taken care of) are beautiful palms IMO. If your in 10b maybe this is an option. 

Don't forget cool palmate palms either, and check out some Gingers under the bigger palms (Curcuma, Alpinia, and Hedychium to name a few). 

Happy growing! :)

• Like 1

Nice job, I really like what you've done! If I were you I'd probably seek out one or two showstoppers to mix in.  :greenthumb:

• Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

@Looking Glass Wonderful show and welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Welcome to palm talk! If you want an overload of choices to add to your collection, Searle Brothers is having one of there two sales this weekend and next. In southwest ranches, starts tomorrow. I’ll be coming from Ft Myers on Saturday.

20D3058D-210D-49F3-B595-74BCA37A49A6.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Barry said:

Welcome to palm talk! If you want an overload of choices to add to your collection, Searle Brothers is having one of there two sales this weekend and next. In southwest ranches, starts tomorrow. I’ll be coming from Ft Myers on Saturday.

20D3058D-210D-49F3-B595-74BCA37A49A6.jpeg

Well this looks pretty great.  I’ll have to get over there in the next couple of days!  Would love to pick up something interesting.  Thanks!  

16 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Welcome. Your yard looks great. Trimming all those roebeliniis will get old and painful. One triple was more than enough for us. I must respectfully disagree about the Sabal palmetto. It will outlast all the tropicals during the next harsh winter and is the FL State Tree. I hope you will look into adding some nice palmate palms, i.e., Licualas, Coccothrinax. Don't be someone who thinks only pinnate palms are good enough for you. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!  I already have a European Fan/Chamaerops humilis in a pot ready to hit the ground in a few days.  It's got a bigger main with a foot or two of trunk, with two suckers.  I hope it will "sucker up" and create a nice little branching clump over the years.  I like the look of these with a bunch of suckers forming a group.

I also hope to get some of the smaller stature "Thatch Palms" like Thrinax radiata, but I don't really know much about these types (coccothrinax-like) of palms.  Some look really cool.  A couple are randomly growing in the corner of a grass overflow parking lot of a church nearby.  They of course get zero care there and look quite good.  

I even thought about getting some Silver Saw Palmettos/Serenoma repens to use instead of bushes, but I was afraid they would get unruly and impossible to remove once they grew in thick.    

15 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Nice job, I really like what you've done! If I were you I'd probably seek out one or two showstoppers to mix in.  :greenthumb:

I'm sure that "showstopper" probably means something beyond my current imagination/knowledge at this point.  I love the look of a Buccaneer Palm/Pseudophoenix sargenti, and Flamethrower/Chambeyronia macrocarpa, and the Orange Crownshaft Palm/Areca verstiaria, but I'm not sure what will really bring down the roof when it comes to palms (except my neighbors giant Bismark when it blows over.  

I know it probably seems lame, but I always wanted to grow a big, fat mature Majesty Palm in the ground.  I always thought these looked really great as actual big trees.  I'm now sure the sandy ground here has the consistent wetness for it though.

There are some really nice coconuts around the neighborhood too.  One group looks like their mother had an affair with a bottle palm.  Absolutely huge fat bases.  They don't look like coconuts I've seen anyplace else.  

What's your definition of a showstopper? 

17 hours ago, Dartolution said:

Welcome to PalmTalk @Looking Glass!

I think you did a good job overall, but don't beat up that sabal too bad, some TLC and you'll have a looker. Check out BGI's PalmGain fertilizer. It is my favorite and works beautifully for me. 

They may be overused, but Adonidia merrillii (well taken care of) are beautiful palms IMO. If your in 10b maybe this is an option. 

Don't forget cool palmate palms either, and check out some Gingers under the bigger palms (Curcuma, Alpinia, and Hedychium to name a few). 

Happy growing! :)

Adoniaia merrillii/Christmas Palms seem to do very, very well around here.  Always looking healthy and vibrant (I'm in 10B) with basically no care.  There are probably 10-12 overhanging both sides of my property from both side neighbors yards.  One is starting to overhang my roof from the side, which will make an interesting conversation with the neighbor sometime in the next 2 years.  I think they look especially cool when they are young (< 8 feet).  They may be a choice for the back area in the future.  They drop their flowers and nuts all over though, and are always shooting out inflorescences as fast as I can lop them off.  

I'll check out the Palm Gain, as I've just been using the random stuff from Lowes.      

6 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

What's your definition of a showstopper?     

Corypha immediately comes to mind, but they’re too big for your yard. 

I think you might consider Areca catechu, Neoveitchia sp, or Euterpe sp. I’m sure there are other great options too, I’m not that familiar with 10b/11a palms since I have no hope of growing them. lol

I would recommend going to @Jeff Searle’s place and maybe picking up a few things there. Their selection is amazing.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you want a smaller thatch-type palm, the native Thrinax Radiata is a great choice.  Lowe's occasionally carries these, thrown in with the Euro fan palms.  I have a couple of Coccothrinax (Argentea and Dussiana/Barbadensis) here in NW Orlando, as well as a Zombia/Coccothrinax hybrid from @NatureGirl.   She could probably suggest other thrinax types that would do well for you.  Another small fan type is the FL native Acoelorrhaphe Wrightii "Everglades palm."  I have a couple of the "Cerifera" silver ones that are really neat.  The same goes for the silver saw palmetto Serenoa Repens, though the silvery ones are sometimes hard to find.  I picked up a couple of 3g pots of silver ones from a local nursery for $15ea.

If you like big, flat, saucer-shaped fans you could definitely grow Licuala Grandis in a shady spot, or Licuala Peltata v. Sumawongii in sun or shade.  Kerriodoxa Elegans "White Elephant" palm would do great, but needs shade.

As a big "statement" palm that's unusual, you could look into Attalea Cohune or Arenga Pinnata.  They don't particularly like my routine freezes and frosts at my house, but they'd do great in 10B.  Personally I like the vertical "fountain of fronds" look, but not everyone does.  A big silver Bismarck is always a good choice, I have 3 in the ground and they are some of my favorites.

An unusual smaller and super-hardy shrubbery-kinda palm is Allagoptera Arenaria.  They are pretty indestructible, but fairly slow growing.  Another tough smaller one is Rhapis Excelsa "Lady Palm" that grows really nice clusters.  They look best in some PM shade, but will grow in full sun with some extra water and fertilizer.

If you want something clustering and pinnate like an Areca palm, look into Dypsis Pembana.  I have one that I planted from a 3g pot in April 2019, and it is now about 15' tall.  I bought some seedlings from @PalmatierMeg last year and am planning on planting some out this spring.  If you want to try growing from seedlings, check out her listings in the For Sale forum.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum @Looking Glass. What you have done with your yard is great. You definitely have come to the right place for love of all things palms. Now your next step is to stay away from the BB stores for all your future palm purchases. So many cool palms to choose from especially living in Florida. Make your way down to the Searle Brothers sale and you'll be pulling out all those palms you got , to make room for some more rarer types. My 2 recommendations for show stoppers would be Beccariophoenix Alfredii and Bismarkia Nobilis =) Oh and be nice to the Palmetto it looks awesome. Check out @PalmatierMeg world famous sabal row, it might just change your mind. 

T J 

• Like 2

T J 

Welcome to the group. Looks like you got a great start going on. If the bug bites you right we should just see a wall of palms by next year. 

• Like 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

11 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I think you might consider Areca catechu, Neoveitchia sp, or Euterpe sp. I’m sure there are other great options too, I’m not that familiar with 10b/11a palms since I have no hope of growing them. lol

Cyrtostachys renda would be a great palm too. I’m not 100% sure how it would do in 10b, but it’s well worth trying I think. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi welcome to palmtalk! 

I want to see Satakentia, Carpoxylon, Syagrus sancona, Cyrtosachys elegans, and Hydriastele costata! For palmate palms: all of the Copernicia spp. from Cuba, Hyphaene, Sabal mauritiformis, Livistona rotundifolia, and Mauritia flexuosa. Understory stuff: Licuala, Calyptrocalyx, Kerriodoxa elegans, Iguanura, Cryosophila, Arenga hookeriana, Pinanga, Areca catechu 'Alba', Itaya amicorum, Sabinaria, Johannesteijsmannia....

The choices are almost endless! :yay:

Left out the monsters like Corypha, Attalea, and Oncosperma because they are too big (but you do you). 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Welcome to PalmTalk from Puerto Rico! I have enjoyed the people and plants at the Searle sale on many occasions over the years. Don’t miss it! I always aim for the first day joining the rush at opening time, but am still reluctant to fly unvaccinated. Perhaps I’ll see you at the Fall sale.

You have done a great job and will have no trouble getting further inspiration here and at the many botanical gardens and nurseries in FL!

Please add posts as you add your new palms.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Well I've got my work cut out for me (and I mean just starting by googling all of the genus-species names to see what you guys are talking about).  Thanks so much for all of the suggestions so far.   I got a bit over-excited to get started and probably did some stuff that in retrospect didn't make the most sense, but I had to get started....  I just couldn't take not having something in the ground!

You guys have supplied me with plenty of ammo for the imagination.  So many great palms out there I guess!

I'm going to head over to Searle Brother's today just to check it out, as I've got a dentist appointment close to there later.  

The property isn't huge, and it's pretty urban, and we are all packed in here.  I'm a little too paranoid to attempt anything really huge (though some of my direct neighbors have no worries and absolutely huge Royals, Bismarks and Cubans that will crush two houses if they ever fall over.   It doesn't look like it in the pictures, but those Royals across the street are enormous, and would easily fall across the street and crush the Chinese Fans and maybe a car if they came this way.  I'm not good at guessing, but they have to be 70 feet tall???  They look tiny in the pics!  When the leaves drop at night they make a "crack" and then hit the pavement, like a full sized tree.  

IMG_5438.thumb.jpeg.03c6f023e9f61a1f667685f993241cd8.jpeg

Even these background Spindle Palms are whoppers.  The neighbor tells me they are about 15 years old.  I don't know how tall they are, maybe 15 feet?  I'll have to post some pics from just around the neighborhood someday.  Some of the random palms in front yards are really good looking.  

IMG_5764.thumb.jpeg.310480a082003831bdc9e48c59bd888e.jpeg

Here's a pic from the CVS parking lot....   Glad I didn't park there that day.....   

IMG_E2283.thumb.jpeg.4f819796c62d6c276b4525d11cb17239.jpeg

• Like 4

You will not regret heading to the Searle sale.

Many folks there are IPS members and on PT and some even regularly volunteer for the sale. All enjoy talking palms!

Jeff is of course busy,  but if you get a chance, please say hi for me and tell him that you heard about his sale on this forum.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

So I did make it over to the Searle Brothers sale after they drilled my tooth.  They had a lot of palms, more than I could really process.  Way more.  Pretty confusing for a noob like me.   I did a few laps around and got two.  

A small, good looking Beccariophoenix fenesteralis was just sitting there, and no one was grabbing it, so I thought...  I’d better...

7C75712E-A9F5-4712-8E7C-6065108588FA.thumb.jpeg.ecc8d4c276d9e90077c3d15d2b9c3d2c.jpeg

Also, Charlie Brown’s Christmas Pseudophoenix Sargentii...  I thought I might be able to work on...  looks a little rough or now.  
81F8D5E5-1AF0-490F-A346-1D6AA137E511.thumb.jpeg.a012f26364876d4433ed51e645c98dfa.jpeg

Plus, this guy (chamaerops humilis) has been sitting out for a week already, waiting for a ground home....

C4BD25E1-2719-4E7F-A274-7368A0FC83AE.thumb.jpeg.73722c793d2e31c9a9d214afcf445ddd.jpeg

Looks like it’s time to dig some holes...  

• Like 3

Glad you got to stop by the Searle sale. Your Beccariophoenix is lovely and much larger than mine since I started with seedlings.

To me a one gallon is big! 

Enjoy planting and please post new photos once you are done.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Welcome, you have done an amazing job, your garden looks beautiful.  Being in Broward County your problem will be making decisions because you have so many great options for palms and other tropicals. I too am a fan of gingers so there are tons of options for those as well and they don't even blink during our extremely long humid wet summers.   Have to chime in on our state tree the sabal as well.  As a multi generational Floridian to me there is nothing more beautiful than being out in the wild anywhere in Florida and seeing them growing all over the place so well.  Nothing, nothing hurts them.  No hurricane or freeze bothers them.  And they are a food provider for many native animals here in Florida. I agree they aren't a novelty palm but they are our native tree. Best wishes and many years of enjoyment in  your new Florida garden!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lou St. Aug, FL

14 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

A small, good looking Beccariophoenix fenesteralis was just sitting there, and no one was grabbing it, so I thought...  I’d better...

Also, Charlie Brown’s Christmas Pseudophoenix Sargentii...  I thought I might be able to work on...  looks a little rough or now.   

B. Fenestralis is a great choice for your area.  I have 5 B. Alfredii in the ground here in the Orlando area, and 4 more 1 gallon seedlings for future plantings.  Fenestralis isn't quite as cold hardy as Alfredii, but that shouldn't be an issue for your location.  At my house I usually dip into the upper 20s each winter, and Fenestralis doesn't like that.  Think carefully about where you'd like to plant the Fenestralis, because they get pretty large.  You could definitely grow a full crown with 20' long leaves (that's 40 foot diameter!) there if you wanted to.  Here's a ~14yr old example of Alfredii, which is very similar in size and shape to Fenestralis:

2039413825_Beccariophoenixalfredii14yr2.thumb.jpg.ab8cd7d0fd677abf78ac82e53ec45980.jpg

The Pseudophoenix should do great for you too.  It's a very slow grower, and will take many years to get to head height.  The Fenestralis should be fairly quick in the ground.  I'm guessing would get 6' tall in about 2 years in the ground.

That's a great start on your yard, btw.  I started about the same way, with a couple of Majesty, Sylvester, Pygmy Dates, etc.  I sorta regret some of my early plantings, but the vast majority of palms can be easily dug up and moved without killing them.  The notable exceptions are Bismarck and Sabal, and I am sure there are a few more.  My one big recommendation is to figure out your "hardscapes" and any other structural things first.  I.e. if you are going to build a fence or remove a wall, or take down a bunch of water oaks, do that first!  I planted my way into a corner with some of my yard, and when I decided to cut down the last ~6 oaks and 80' tall pines there was no easy or safe spot to drop them.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 3/5/2021 at 5:49 AM, Looking Glass said:

Well I've got my work cut out for me (and I mean just starting by googling all of the genus-species names to see what you guys are talking about).  Thanks so much for all of the suggestions so far.   I got a bit over-excited to get started and probably did some stuff that in retrospect didn't make the most sense, but I had to get started....  I just couldn't take not having something in the ground!

You guys have supplied me with plenty of ammo for the imagination.  So many great palms out there I guess!

I'm going to head over to Searle Brother's today just to check it out, as I've got a dentist appointment close to there later.  

The property isn't huge, and it's pretty urban, and we are all packed in here.  I'm a little too paranoid to attempt anything really huge (though some of my direct neighbors have no worries and absolutely huge Royals, Bismarks and Cubans that will crush two houses if they ever fall over.   It doesn't look like it in the pictures, but those Royals across the street are enormous, and would easily fall across the street and crush the Chinese Fans and maybe a car if they came this way.  I'm not good at guessing, but they have to be 70 feet tall???  They look tiny in the pics!  When the leaves drop at night they make a "crack" and then hit the pavement, like a full sized tree.  

IMG_5438.thumb.jpeg.03c6f023e9f61a1f667685f993241cd8.jpeg

Even these background Spindle Palms are whoppers.  The neighbor tells me they are about 15 years old.  I don't know how tall they are, maybe 15 feet?  I'll have to post some pics from just around the neighborhood someday.  Some of the random palms in front yards are really good looking.  

IMG_5764.thumb.jpeg.310480a082003831bdc9e48c59bd888e.jpeg

Here's a pic from the CVS parking lot....   Glad I didn't park there that day.....   

IMG_E2283.thumb.jpeg.4f819796c62d6c276b4525d11cb17239.jpeg

That wont buff out very easily lol
Example of why Royals dont work very well in parking lots or next to driveways. 
Also, your yard has went through a nice transformation! Loving every bit of it!

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

With all the palms you can grow in Florida I can’t imagine planting a Chamaerops or so many Phoenix palms you have so many choices just great palm growing weather. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Merlyn said:

B. Fenestralis is a great choice for your area.  I have 5 B. Alfredii in the ground here in the Orlando area, and 4 more 1 gallon seedlings for future plantings.  Fenestralis isn't quite as cold hardy as Alfredii, but that shouldn't be an issue for your location.  At my house I usually dip into the upper 20s each winter, and Fenestralis doesn't like that.  Think carefully about where you'd like to plant the Fenestralis, because they get pretty large.  You could definitely grow a full crown with 20' long leaves (that's 40 foot diameter!) there if you wanted to.  Here's a ~14yr old example of Alfredii, which is very similar in size and shape to Fenestralis:....

That's a great start on your yard, btw.  I started about the same way, with a couple of Majesty, Sylvester, Pygmy Dates, etc.  I sorta regret some of my early plantings...

That tree looks really amazing.  Great job.  I know they grow pretty fast and get large.  I was thinking about putting it right out front in the circle by the driveway.  It’s a very sunny spot though, would get mid morning to evening full sun, so I’m nervous about burning it.  It’s also a bit wet during the rainy season down there, though it drains quickly, but it would have space.  I may experiment putting it in a pot in the sun first.  But I don’t want to wait too long and miss out on ground-growth time.   

I already have a little regret, knowing that I got overly energetic about planting stuff, but I just couldn’t contain myself.   I know that there will be some changes going forward.  

It’s good advice about the hardscaping.  I have to do a major re-do on the backyard area. (french drain install, bury utility lines, remove some of the stone to open up green and drainage space). And when that gets done, I will be a bit more patient and methodical about planting out back.  

I did learn a lot, with the simple stuff I got in though.  I’m experienced with growing plants and animals, but not tropical fauna, alkaline sand, and wet-dry season effects.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 96720 said:

With all the palms you can grow in Florida I can’t imagine planting a Chamaerops or so many Phoenix palms you have so many choices just great palm growing weather. 

I’ve lived in Florida for 10 years, just in a high-rise, downtown, city condo, until we got the house.  I did grow up in the northeast though, in a rural area, where I spent most of my time taking care of plants and livestock since I was a little kid.  Just very different kinds of plants, in a place with very rich, acidic soil, and four seasons, and an endless supply of fertilizer.   

These tropical plants, in a tropical zone, are a whole new world to me.  I was just excited to be able to grow something with a pinnate leaf outside!  I couldn’t contain myself.  

Getting the house has been an eye-opener in education.   Who knew it was so much work and could be so complicated?  (Probably everyone with a house) 

I have to think about irrigation and its lines running all over haphazardly over the decades, sewer lines, gas lines, water lines, all kinds of construction junk and sand and concrete mix in the already sandy alkaline soil, overhead power lines, the foundation, access to the roof from the ground, 3 classes of termites, roof rats, iguanas, land drainage, property bounties and right of ways, and overhangs, and hurricane winds off the Atlantic Ocean (which is 2 miles away).  ....and that’s just with the plants in these tight neighborhood spaces.  

...and I could write a novel on roof rats/palm rats!  

Oh there will be changes, no doubt.  Starting from little info, every month I learn a lot more about what’s available.  But there are a lot of other considerations too, when it comes planting.  

If I had it my way, I’d probably live in a shack near the swamp, with some land and 8,000 plants.....  but then, there are spouse’s opinions to consider too....

I was surprised when I moved in, that a lot of my neighbors didn’t even know the names of the massive palms in their yards.  That they are just “trees”, to them   

Edited by Looking Glass

The palm in the picture isn't mine, I think that one is at Searle's nursery.  It is one of the biggest Alfredii in the US.  I think Fenestralis is good in full sun, I know my Alfredii grow well with lots of water.  Probably not swampy wet, but the one on my East side is downhill from a roof downspout.  It is growing twice as fast as the others.

Unless you know your palm was grown in a lot of sun, then assume it was grown under shade cloth or in a greenhouse. Acclimate it to afternoon sun over a couple of weeks to avoid burning it.  

Regarding space, make sure your spot has plenty of space for a 3 foot trunk diameter.  Beccariophoenix can be pruned to grow fairly vertical if you don't have a full 40 foot diameter circle to keep a full crown.  Palmpedia is a good site to look for photos, with a bunch contributed by PalmTalk members.  It goes offline every once in a while.  It is offline right now, but here is the Fenestralis page:

https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Beccariophoenix_fenestralis

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Merlyn said:

The palm in the picture isn't mine, I think that one is at Searle's nursery.  It is one of the biggest Alfredii in the US.

Correction, the Alfredii in the photo is at Dr. Balansky's place in Davie, FL.  If I remember correctly it was grown from some of the first seeds available in the US, sometime around 2004-2007.  You can see other photos of the same palm at different growth stages here: https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Beccariophoenix_alfredii

• Like 1

Welcome to palm talk!  You should probably consider planting out copernicia fallaensis, copernicia hospita, and copernicia baileyana as they love your alkaline soil.  Other palms that like alkaline soil include Kentiopsis Oliviformis and satakentia luikensis.  Not sure fenestrailis likes alkaline soil, I would check on that.  I recall them being susceptible to nutrient deficiencies and alkaline pH doesnt help there.  There are quite a few palms that do not like alkaline soil and are best to avoid.   My own personal preferences in 10b would leave out many of the common big box store palms like phoenix roebelinii.  You live in an area where there are fantastic palm nurseries that have many choices.  I would go to the searle brothers sale just to see what the possibilities are and you may find a few things you like.

• Like 3

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

56 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

Welcome to palm talk!  You should probably consider planting out copernicia fallaensis, copernicia hospita, and copernicia baileyana as they love your alkaline soil.  Other palms that like alkaline soil include Kentiopsis Oliviformis and satakentia luikensis. 

That's a good point, I forget that soil is different over there.  My acidic soil here in Orlando means that my Fallaensis, Baileyana and Macroglossa get magnesium deficiencies pretty easy.  My Macroglossa got especially yellowed over the winter, but the others are showing some spots too.  Would you add magnesium sulphate and lime to help them out, or something else?

• Like 1

So I cleaned out this little front area of all of the overgrown Yellow Alder/Tunera ssp?, as it was getting layered and dead-woody and I wanted to spruce up the soil in this area a bit.  I cleaned up the bottle palm and added a couple bales of peat and a bunch of composed manure and garden soil and mixed it all in, and topped with mulch to protect the soil for now.   I left the roots of the 5 Alder plants that covered the area, and given its ability to pop-up and spread inches per week, I'm sure it will poke through and reclaim the area before too long again.  It does provide a good home for the bugs, lizards, and snakes that entertain us here, and shades the soil once it fills in.  Next to go....  that purple fountain grass....   Not sure what I'll try there next.    

IMG_5792.thumb.jpeg.178012e5afe2e7b1af58d8d72461250d.jpeg

I went ahead and planted the Chamaerops humilis/European Fan in there, hoping it will branch into a multi-headed, woody specimen over a long time.  I figure I might be able to trim a head here and there it it ever makes it up to the roofline in many years.  Its a hot and sunny spot, and hopefully not too wet.  After 6 inches of dirt, its pure 100% sand underneath.  Of course someone ran an irrigation pipe diagonally across the spot where I dug down.  It's the edge of the hole.  Oh well...

IMG_5788.thumb.jpeg.28dde7181d9081ea6298e5659c6c401b.jpeg

I'm thinking about putting the Pseudophoenix Sargenti in front of the Sabal right off the bat.  Just fertilizing it regularly, while hoping for the best.  It looks pretty sickly, (K deficiency?), but I'll just give it sun and fertilizer and a home in the ground and pray.   To make room I'll take out the stabby-stabby agave that is there...  

IMG_0088.thumb.jpeg.fcfaca981c59a205ce593ef7da51fe6c.jpeg

Even the new growth is speckled...  PalmGain being delivered from HD today.  

IMG_0087.thumb.jpeg.4d3610354fc89bd2c091ce2e8f0d2a7b.jpeg

When I picked up the dirt, they had a couple Thrinax Radiata/Florida Thatch Palms, shoved in a neglected corner, so a grabbed them.  Not sure where I'll stick them yet, so I'll just let them get some sun for now....

IMG_5798.thumb.jpeg.04bc94e0ce6b845f3518b04928f11e11.jpeg

IMG_5797.thumb.jpeg.e964b3d4199ef62613296d522293f0aa.jpeg

I've been doing some thinking and researching too.  I think I'm going to stick the Beccariophoenix fenestralis right in the center of the front yard.  It's sunny and well watered there, and I can just cut a circle in the grass and put it in.   I'll just pile on the iron and fertilizer and baby it to death probably.  Its not a huge yard, but it's enough space for that fella to spread his wings.  I feel it is hubris though, and that after I murder it, I'll be sticking a coconut in it's place.....  (or maybe an Alfredi for a 2nd try).  ....I'm just letting it adjust to the sun for a bit.   

IMG_0089.thumb.jpeg.5613cf8846fa1f16f0afd3a30c33160e.jpeg

I've decided on a few other things to track down also.....    I want to get a few Dypsis Leptocheilos/Teddy Bear Palms, and plug them in up front.  There is a house in the neighborhood with group and they are tall, looking strong with that whiteish trunk and red crownshaft.  Looks like they might do well around here.   I also want to put a Satakentia liukiuensis or two on the other side of the front Chinese Fans out front, where there is some space where you pull in.  Would contrast well with them up there.     

I'd also Iike to grab a Coccothrinax with stiff-pointy leaves (which one?), and a Areca catechu/Dwarf Betelnut - I saw one at Searle Brother's (and should have grabbed it at the time, but instead, I now live a life of regret).   I want to put these in the front garden area as it evolves.

Slowly, but surely.....   Thanks for all the help, advice, and ideas...         

• Like 2

I'd guess potassium deficiency on that Pseudophoenix too.  Older leaves with translucent yellow/orange or dead spots, sometimes with leaf tip necrosis.  Sounds like K deficiency!

Bottles and Euro fans are still a couple of my favorites, despite them being fairly common.  It's easy to get stuck thinking about finding the most rare and unusual and expensive plant, but if you like it, grow it!!!  :D

I also picked up a pair of Thrinax Radiata last weekend at a local nursery.  I haven't figured out where to put them, but they are a neat small palm.  Leucothrinax Morrisii (formely Thrinax Morrisii) is the Key Thatch Palm and is a bit hardier and also a neat palm with silvery undersides on the leaves.  I'm growing Coccothrinax Argentea and Barbadensis/Dussiana here.  There are lots of Coccothrinax options for 10B.

Dypsis Leptocheilos is a neat one too, I have a couple of seedlings and 2 small ones in the ground.  If you like the Dypsis shape you could look into Baronii "black petiole," Carlsmithii, Mananjarensis "Mealy bug," Onihalensis and "Orange Crush" too.  They'd be hardy for you, some are questionable for me in 9B/9A borderline.

5 hours ago, Merlyn said:

I'd guess potassium deficiency on that Pseudophoenix too.  Older leaves with translucent yellow/orange or dead spots, sometimes with leaf tip necrosis.  Sounds like K deficiency!

Bottles and Euro fans are still a couple of my favorites, despite them being fairly common.  It's easy to get stuck thinking about finding the most rare and unusual and expensive plant, but if you like it, grow it!!!  :D

I also picked up a pair of Thrinax Radiata last weekend at a local nursery.  I haven't figured out where to put them, but they are a neat small palm.  Leucothrinax Morrisii (formely Thrinax Morrisii) is the Key Thatch Palm and is a bit hardier and also a neat palm with silvery undersides on the leaves.  I'm growing Coccothrinax Argentea and Barbadensis/Dussiana here.  There are lots of Coccothrinax options for 10B.

Dypsis Leptocheilos is a neat one too, I have a couple of seedlings and 2 small ones in the ground.  If you like the Dypsis shape you could look into Baronii "black petiole," Carlsmithii, Mananjarensis "Mealy bug," Onihalensis and "Orange Crush" too.  They'd be hardy for you, some are questionable for me in 9B/9A borderline.

When I do the back areas, I’ll need some smaller native stuff that can handle sand, sun, and the dry season. I won’t be able to build/amend the soil so much or water so aggressively.  So I’ll be on the lookout for Leukothrinax too...   

I like the Coccothrinax argentea look with its spiky fingers and smaller stature, in contrast to the floppier palmates I’ve already got.  

As far as Dypsis, I’d love me some orange crush...  or Areca Vesitaria, .... or something with a splash of orange/red...   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update after 8 weeks on these two:  

Beccariophoenix fenestralis got moved into full sun pretty quickly.  I think it spent its life in the shade house prior to arrival here.  It got a couple of burns then started to get lime green and chlorotic.  I hit it with Palmgain and chelated iron...  no effect, did it again.. no effect.  Quickly started looking pathetic.  I then hit it with 30%N/16%K and it responded well.  It pushed a new leaf out, and now is pushing #2 and overall gained some height.  If “fertilizer hog” means dumping Scott’s turf builder on it constantly, then this thing might be a real finicky PIA.   

It needs to get in the ground shortly...

28BBDACC-3791-4EE4-B028-DD8986F76EC8.thumb.jpeg.f00192aba19edff58de11bd2794dad4b.jpeg05741CD8-6709-49C5-9FF9-A89CBA1ACA58.thumb.jpeg.bada255fb7ebaaec0bf5a6b64580974c.jpeg

Charlie Brown’s Pseudophoenix sargentii responded well to being plopped into the full sunniest corner of hot stone I had, and being hit with two shots of palmgain.  Less sickly and pushed though and opened its leaf.   The pot basically gets hot to the touch, and it seems to like it, so I’m just letting it gain some strength...7D5BA294-1F33-4B7C-9286-ABD29FAA0145.thumb.jpeg.71bd622ef7ae6ec9459d059a1e314e83.jpeg

At least no one is dead... yet.  

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 1:07 AM, Looking Glass said:

8-9 Months later things have really filled in.  The front Chinese Fan Palms?/Livistona chinensis? are doing OK...

IMG_5763.thumb.jpeg.185b20140c17b863ff5874d476f69490.jpeg

Those livistona chinensis are looking really good.  But it might just be that I'm a little partial to them.