IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Are these Rhapis Multifida seeds? Legit?

fooddude

I just received seeds last Sunday, Feb 28th (finally, after +40 days wait) of what are supposedly rhapis multifida seeds.

I put them in water to soak for 1-3 days. 

After 1st night, only 3-5 sank. (pics 2-4)

After 2nd night, they all sank. (pics 5-6)

...so that a good sign so far. 

But, I am unsure if they are legit rhapis multifida seeds (or even any kind of rhapis seed).

The pics I’ve seen on Google look like small 3-5mm balls, fuzzy and maybe 1 line/ridge. And, the ones I got have 3 lines/ridges like a triangular 3-sided X or cross.  They are also bigger, maybe about 1/4”. And also darker in color and not fuzzy.

I got them from eBay seller ‘goodbon_86’ because it’s the only place I could find that sells them (no others on eBay, Etsy, Amazon nor other Palm dealers online).

I know RPS has legit ones from research... but their minimum order is $31 + another $15 shipping. No way in heck I’m spending $45 just to get multifida seeds, lol. They also seem rude and haven’t responded to my 2 emails (3 months apart). 

Anyways... I’m hoping I didn’t get ripped off and that they are indeed rhapis seeds.

I know it may be impossible to determine the exact cultivar/variety of rhapis from a seed... but just wanted to know if they even look like rhapis species seeds in general.

I’m a bit worried, as the seller also has a few suspicious listings/seeds (eg: purple Japanese maple seeds (those don’t exist lol) with horrible photoshop color edits lol... JM cultivars don’t even grow true to seed, etc.)

Any help appreciated!

BDB88780-F063-4F72-BC01-82FB993C497B.jpeg

8C64F9D2-9934-4F59-8687-4CA5538BE35F.jpeg

C0A73852-3DF9-4D56-8FF0-2E5E9F227E1D.jpeg

A9CD001F-CFF0-4021-AFF1-8020CE977B7A.jpeg

BE2D3558-1A5B-4F09-839D-EE3AA5EAC7F2.jpeg

F4DC6987-9586-46D0-8452-6E4F45DCB1A6.jpeg

Did you buy them from China? If so they could end up being anything they could lay their hands on.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Yes... Moringa seeds.:crying:

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I have a number of Rhapis that actually are setting (or appear to be setting) seeds.

Remind me to take some pictures for comparison.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks guys. 

I googled moringa oleifera seeds and they definitely look exactly like those. 

I will ask for a refund. 

I am still looking for R. Multifida seeds or smaller shippable plants if anyone has any leads. 

Just ordered Multifida seeds from a diff seller on eBay, a new listing. Crossing my fingers on this order!

He seems legit tho, 100% feedback, confirmed germination in feedback, and seems to specialize in palm seeds only and only sells very seldom/occasionally (instead of a suspicious seller that sells 1000s of scam seeds). 

Now looking for Rhapis Laosensis seeds next. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got Multifida seeds today! (and also 2 small Laosensis plants, on the same day coincidentally).

Seeds came in around 2 weeks. Relatively quick.
The last scam-guy took +40 days (regardless, they were fake/random seeds anyways). 

Looks like legit Rhapis seeds (comparing to google pics). 

What do you guys think? Legit Rhapis or Multifida seeds?

Also, they seem very fresh/viable... they instantly sunk right away, even without any soaking (no floaters).

989FB6AA-7E6A-4424-80A2-6DA81469258E.jpeg

74704501-4216-4C75-B932-9ED218B2717D.jpeg

728C8323-9469-4CEC-8336-93464097A54D.jpeg

E892E598-940C-4490-A8DA-A0762ADD550B.jpeg

524DE9B8-CFC7-460F-BA18-ACA621749B64.jpeg

4CDB9999-B0E2-4C3D-A7A5-F7E391486137.jpeg

623D3BAA-F0EE-4709-84EB-E095EE031B9E.jpeg

F92A26B8-7078-47F3-8840-CC51783CFA6D.jpeg

0E4841E5-3BAA-4EE5-A42A-F156DEEF931B.jpeg

AFC71E4D-A8B0-4F41-8183-DF510590D9E2.jpeg

Edited by fooddude
  • Like 2

3 day soak done... sowed in sealed-container instead of a ziploc (after the pic, covered seeds w a thin layer of soil too).

After the soak, 1 seed already had white bumps coming out of it. 

Hope they grow!

817225B8-E649-4AFA-A83D-18FB14C5FE9D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 7:17 PM, fooddude said:

3 day soak done... sowed in sealed-container instead of a ziploc (after the pic, covered seeds w a thin layer of soil too).  After the soak, 1 seed already had white bumps coming out of it.   Hope they grow!

Have you gotten any results on the seeds?  I was thinking of trying this palm too, and can't find anyone that has R. Humilis or Multifida for sale.

40 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

Have you gotten any results on the seeds?  I was thinking of trying this palm too, and can't find anyone that has R. Humilis or Multifida for sale.

Nothing yet. It's been only 30 days since sowing, so prolly still too early. 

Hope to see something soon, maybe at 43-60 days I'm guessing. 

40 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

There's a nursery down by Miami who has both sp. listed on their current availability.. Good prices too, though you might have to take a trip there rather than pay $$$ for mail order.

• Like 1

FL nurseries and private sellers seems to have all the rare species and variagates. None in CA (except Jungle Music palms, which is too expensive).