Philly J

My wife is going to kill me.....

Philly J

:o:bemused::wub:

C9A8D912-328C-49AC-813B-2E4E5BCD1D26.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

NOT A TA

Well put a tray under it quick before you mess up the carpet!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Philly J
14 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Well put a tray under it quick before you mess up the carpet!

haha not for that reason!  $175 all in.  Growing it in my office till she sees the Visa bill lol.

• Like 1

enigma99
1 hour ago, Philly J said:

haha not for that reason!  $175 all in.  Growing it in my office till she sees the Visa bill lol.

That's why you pay in cash ;) Wife has never seen the $10,000 I have put in LOL!

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ben in Norcal
6 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

That's why you pay in cash ;) Wife has never seen the $10,000 I have put in LOL!

I went with a next level solution here - divorce.  :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Silas_Sancona
1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I went with a next level solution here - divorce.  :D

Or just never marry.. Simple enough. B)  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

I most definitely have a problem with buying palms especially off of this site haha. Usually it's never too much at a time unless it's a Patrix order haha. I have one on the way right now. We shall see how she takes it =) We all could spend our money on much worse things 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PJP

Cash has no witnesses!  I buy everything cash.  Usually can avoid the S Tax also.

sashaeffer
22 hours ago, Philly J said:

You need to be like me and have a "stash" for palm purchases.  My wife is NOT a fan of my palm hobby.  I've used cashiers checks to keep from using a credit card even.

When she asks me if I'm through I reply that I'll never be through buying palm trees.

• Like 1

lzorrito
23 hours ago, Philly J said:

Still breathing...you and the Rhapis???

• Like 1

Neil C

The secret is to slowly collect so many potted palms that even if you added another 10 it wouldn't be noticed.

• Like 5

Philly J
7 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Still breathing...you and the Rhapis???

That Lady takes my breath away!.......  of course I mean my wife and not the Excelsa ;):lol:B)

• Like 2

sashaeffer
21 hours ago, Neil C said:

The secret is to slowly collect so many potted palms that even if you added another 10 it wouldn't be noticed.

My wife notices......may not be in one day, but she does. 

I've tried hiding boxes the palm come in, in the 3rd car garage so I can sneak them out to the trash on Friday mornings. Sometimes it works....most of the time its "what did you get NOW?! I see the boxes over there"

Far worse hobbies to have.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Funkthulhu

My lovely bride has a black thumb and she is joyous every time I get something new or bring one back from the dead.  She loves to see all the green in our house grow and grow.  She'll even "accidentally" put a nice palm in the cart if they're on sale at a big-box store because she knows me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

sashaeffer
10 minutes ago, Funkthulhu said:

My lovely bride has a black thumb and she is joyous every time I get something new or bring one back from the dead.  She loves to see all the green in our house grow and grow.  She'll even "accidentally" put a nice palm in the cart if they're on sale at a big-box store because she knows me.

KEEP HER! she is a rare one!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Darold Petty
On 3/3/2021 at 5:31 PM, Neil C said:

What ?  That old thing ?, why it was just in the back !  :mrlooney:

• Like 6

PalmatierMeg

That's one reason I fund my purchases through a Paypal account I fund by selling plants and other stuff here and on eBay. I don't notice when my husband uses the Paypal to buy softball supplies. And I kick back a hundred here and there to repay out-of-pocket postage.

BTW, that's a lovely Rhapis. You should tell your wife you bought a Lady palm for your lovely Lady. She may not believe it but maybe she'll dig the sentiment.

My big problem is I'm blind in one eye and have failing corneas in both. I can no longer drive, read long books, write, edit or do crafts. Palms are my sanity keepers.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Fallen Munk

When I get a package in the mail and my wife says, "Your plants are here".  I respond in my best Hank Schrader voice, "They're palms Marie !!"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Fallen Munk
1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

That's one reason I fund my purchases through a Paypal account I fund by selling plants and other stuff here and on eBay.

I do the same.  Thanks for all you do.  Those Emerald Isle seeds you sent recently were the best seeds I ever germinated BTW.  They popped fast and I'm only waiting on a handful to finish up out of the 100.  Many thanks!

sashaeffer

The Ring door bell and Ring security camera on our building across the street that faces the house doesn't help me either. She watches the notifications like a hawk on her phone and can tell when a palm box arrives.

• Like 1

PalmatierMeg
1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

I do the same.  Thanks for all you do.  Those Emerald Isle seeds you sent recently were the best seeds I ever germinated BTW.  They popped fast and I'm only waiting on a handful to finish up out of the 100.  Many thanks!

You're welcome

• Like 1

Darold Petty
1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

When I get a package in the mail and my wife says, "Your plants are here".  I respond in my best Hank Schrader voice, "They're palms Marie !!"

Bonus points for the BB reference,  :greenthumb:

• Like 3

oasis371

Lady Palms (Rhapis) are on my really short list (top 3) for absolute favorite house palms, and your palm is stunning and seems perfect for an office. Yes, they can be costly initially, but they LIVE and even thrive indoors (as opposed to dirt cheap Majesty Palms).  I understand in Japan, some people pay insane prices for variegated cultivars, not a big fan of variegation in general, I love the green. I have two R. excelsa (one gets over-wintered in the house, and the other in the frost free "garage"/man cave/palm court), then, had to order R. humilis, and R. multifida. One word of warning, Rhapis don't have the best drought tolerance and can go from looking great to terminal wilt in a short time, so don't let them get too dry.

P.S., I find it interesting that so many palm nuts seem to be males, wonder why?

• Like 2

Palmensammler

Nearly everywhere the same discussion. Luckily my wife gave up. She recognized that collecting Yuccas, Cacti, Agave and Palms is less harmful than being in a bar a few times a week and come home drunk. Sometimes if one of the plants dies there is another one jumping out of the dark immediately.

But I love my wife and we are married since 1992.

Eckhard

• Like 4

oasis371
On 3/8/2021 at 4:55 PM, Palmensammler said:

"She recognized that collecting Yuccas, Cacti, Agave and Palms is less harmful than being in a bar a few times a week and come home drunk."

Of course, just for the record, these are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Palmensammler

For sure not, but I prefer to stay at home with a glass or two of good wine enjoying all the plants and the garden.

Eckhard

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

floridaPalmMan
On 3/3/2021 at 8:31 PM, Neil C said:

You sir, are a genius.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1