IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My wife is going to kill me.....

Philly J

14 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Well put a tray under it quick before you mess up the carpet!

haha not for that reason!  $175 all in.  Growing it in my office till she sees the Visa bill lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philly J said:

haha not for that reason!  $175 all in.  Growing it in my office till she sees the Visa bill lol.

That's why you pay in cash ;) Wife has never seen the $10,000 I have put in LOL!

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

That's why you pay in cash ;) Wife has never seen the $10,000 I have put in LOL!

I went with a next level solution here - divorce.  :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I went with a next level solution here - divorce.  :D

Or just never marry.. Simple enough. B)  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I most definitely have a problem with buying palms especially off of this site haha. Usually it's never too much at a time unless it's a Patrix order haha. I have one on the way right now. We shall see how she takes it =) We all could spend our money on much worse things 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

T J 

22 hours ago, Philly J said:

You need to be like me and have a "stash" for palm purchases.  My wife is NOT a fan of my palm hobby.  I've used cashiers checks to keep from using a credit card even.

When she asks me if I'm through I reply that I'll never be through buying palm trees.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Philly J said:

Still breathing...you and the Rhapis???

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

The secret is to slowly collect so many potted palms that even if you added another 10 it wouldn't be noticed.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Still breathing...you and the Rhapis???

That Lady takes my breath away!.......  of course I mean my wife and not the Excelsa ;):lol:B)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Neil C said:

The secret is to slowly collect so many potted palms that even if you added another 10 it wouldn't be noticed.

My wife notices......may not be in one day, but she does. 

I've tried hiding boxes the palm come in, in the 3rd car garage so I can sneak them out to the trash on Friday mornings. Sometimes it works....most of the time its "what did you get NOW?! I see the boxes over there"

Far worse hobbies to have.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

My lovely bride has a black thumb and she is joyous every time I get something new or bring one back from the dead.  She loves to see all the green in our house grow and grow.  She'll even "accidentally" put a nice palm in the cart if they're on sale at a big-box store because she knows me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

10 minutes ago, Funkthulhu said:

My lovely bride has a black thumb and she is joyous every time I get something new or bring one back from the dead.  She loves to see all the green in our house grow and grow.  She'll even "accidentally" put a nice palm in the cart if they're on sale at a big-box store because she knows me.

KEEP HER! she is a rare one!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/3/2021 at 5:31 PM, Neil C said:

What ?  That old thing ?, why it was just in the back !  :mrlooney:

• Like 6

San Francisco, California

That's one reason I fund my purchases through a Paypal account I fund by selling plants and other stuff here and on eBay. I don't notice when my husband uses the Paypal to buy softball supplies. And I kick back a hundred here and there to repay out-of-pocket postage.

BTW, that's a lovely Rhapis. You should tell your wife you bought a Lady palm for your lovely Lady. She may not believe it but maybe she'll dig the sentiment.

My big problem is I'm blind in one eye and have failing corneas in both. I can no longer drive, read long books, write, edit or do crafts. Palms are my sanity keepers.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

When I get a package in the mail and my wife says, "Your plants are here".  I respond in my best Hank Schrader voice, "They're palms Marie !!"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

That's one reason I fund my purchases through a Paypal account I fund by selling plants and other stuff here and on eBay.

I do the same.  Thanks for all you do.  Those Emerald Isle seeds you sent recently were the best seeds I ever germinated BTW.  They popped fast and I'm only waiting on a handful to finish up out of the 100.  Many thanks!

The Ring door bell and Ring security camera on our building across the street that faces the house doesn't help me either. She watches the notifications like a hawk on her phone and can tell when a palm box arrives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

I do the same.  Thanks for all you do.  Those Emerald Isle seeds you sent recently were the best seeds I ever germinated BTW.  They popped fast and I'm only waiting on a handful to finish up out of the 100.  Many thanks!

You're welcome

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

When I get a package in the mail and my wife says, "Your plants are here".  I respond in my best Hank Schrader voice, "They're palms Marie !!"

Bonus points for the BB reference,  :greenthumb:

• Like 3

San Francisco, California

Lady Palms (Rhapis) are on my really short list (top 3) for absolute favorite house palms, and your palm is stunning and seems perfect for an office. Yes, they can be costly initially, but they LIVE and even thrive indoors (as opposed to dirt cheap Majesty Palms).  I understand in Japan, some people pay insane prices for variegated cultivars, not a big fan of variegation in general, I love the green. I have two R. excelsa (one gets over-wintered in the house, and the other in the frost free "garage"/man cave/palm court), then, had to order R. humilis, and R. multifida. One word of warning, Rhapis don't have the best drought tolerance and can go from looking great to terminal wilt in a short time, so don't let them get too dry.

P.S., I find it interesting that so many palm nuts seem to be males, wonder why?

• Like 2

Nearly everywhere the same discussion. Luckily my wife gave up. She recognized that collecting Yuccas, Cacti, Agave and Palms is less harmful than being in a bar a few times a week and come home drunk. Sometimes if one of the plants dies there is another one jumping out of the dark immediately.

But I love my wife and we are married since 1992.

Eckhard

• Like 4

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

On 3/8/2021 at 4:55 PM, Palmensammler said:

"She recognized that collecting Yuccas, Cacti, Agave and Palms is less harmful than being in a bar a few times a week and come home drunk."

Of course, just for the record, these are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For sure not, but I prefer to stay at home with a glass or two of good wine enjoying all the plants and the garden.

Eckhard

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

On 3/3/2021 at 8:31 PM, Neil C said:

You sir, are a genius.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1