Jump to content
Swolte

First pictures of Palms at JFGardens after the big freeze of 2021

Recommended Posts

Swolte

Adam Black, the former director of Peckerwood gardens (now JFGardens), shared some pics of the gardens on Facebook last week. I got some more after we were messaging about damage to the palms. He is documenting the damage to these palms in the area so we're bound to get some more good information from that effort too! Permission to share. Big credit to Adam!

Pic 1 (Text in quotations from Adam): "If you zoom into the center background, you can see the freeze-damaged (but recoverable) Brahea bella juxtaposed over several totally-unscathed, silvery Sabal uresana, grown from wild-provenance seed from Sonora."

Pic 2: "The haunting presence of backlit, freeze-damaged leaves of Dioon edule 'Palma Sola'. Glowing Buxus harlandii foliar damage peeks out from behind the Podocarpus macrophyllus selection on the far left."

Pic 3: "I was surprised to see Nannorrhops ritchiana sustain foliar damage, but it will be fine. Agave sp. 'Baccarat' showing some tip damage in the front center, and the columnar cactus Neobuxbaumia polylopha looking surprisingly good, even though some similar specimens were lost."

Pic 4: S Bermudiana on left and Causiarum on right

Pic 5 +6: Uresana

Pic 7 +8: Brahea Bella (Adam thinks they may pull through)

For the rest, he was worried about the B Moorei (they had great mature specimens) as some already had spear pull, mules probably dead, though he thinks the large butias may be fine. Guihaia defoliated but the spear was fine and he was optimistic about some of the Chamaedoreas.

Adam post-freeze.jpg

Adam post-freeze 2.jpg

Adam post-freeze 3.jpg

Adam post freeze 4.jpg

Adam post freeze 5.jpg

Adam post freeze 6.jpg

Adam post freeze 8.jpg

Adam post freeze 9.jpg

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sabal_Louisiana

Awesome plants. Hopefully you can do a repost in a year showing recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

I had read that those Sabal Uresana went undamaged at 14-15*F. But at 6-8*F and with the long duration of this freeze is impressive. I cant believe those Neobuxbaumia Polylopha look mostly unscathed as well. I’m guessing they threw styrofoam cups over the growth point, as they’ve mentioned to have previously 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

For the record, the palms were all unprotected. Nursery manager (now former... :( ) told me their thermostat recorded a low of 6F.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

Did they let Craig go? I’ve wondered how that garden was going to sustain itself out there long term

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte
7 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

Did they let Craig go?

Yes, to be honest, that was a bigger shock to me than the damage to the gardens. That guy was pure gold. The place will have  to recover from more than this storm.   It'll be OK, I think, but 2021 will be a year of changes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

It’s been a tough year everywhere, but out there was already tough. All the tours I went on pretty much included the regular members/volunteers. Occasionally you’d get lucky and 1 outside group would be present for the tour. And that was before the pandemic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

I had never noticed that columnar cactus on the far right of the first picture. It looks undamaged, is it a Trichocereus/Echinopsis variant? Not quite Terscheckii, possibly Validus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahosey01

My guess is the burn on Nannorrhops had more to do with the fact it was such a wet cold than how cold it actually was.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

I'll be joining an 'insider tour' tomorrow that will focus on the storm damage! Let me know if there's something you would like me to check out (insofar as attention, time, and courtesy allows... :p). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z
2 hours ago, Swolte said:

I'll be joining an 'insider tour' tomorrow that will focus on the storm damage! Let me know if there's something you would like me to check out (insofar as attention, time, and courtesy allows... :p). 

I was hoping to go but that doesn’t look likely now. I would say photograph everything you can and post up. Palms, cycads, cactus, agave, etc. It would be great to document 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
5 hours ago, Swolte said:

I'll be joining an 'insider tour' tomorrow that will focus on the storm damage! Let me know if there's something you would like me to check out (insofar as attention, time, and courtesy allows... :p). 

Will there be a plant sale? I got the feeling that there may not be as they may be holding onto them if the needed for garden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
realarch

Steven, your photographs are beautiful in spite of the damage. The garden looks spectacular and worth the concern.

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte
2 hours ago, realarch said:

Steven, your photographs are beautiful in spite of the damage.

I agree! For the record, Adam Black took these pics and he can make a heap of trash look appealing. You'll see 'my' pics after the weekend in this thread which will be of far lower quality.
:p
Not sure about the plant sale either. The one who does the tour used to be the nursery manager so I have some hopes. I'll bring a small list, regardless. 

~ S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

Had fun today! The tour was led by Wade Roitsch. He was the former manager of Yucca Do Nursery and I found him to be extremely knowledgeable. He first talked about freeze protection techniques (he is big into piling leaves) and we basically spent little over an hour in the actual garden. I snapped some pictures but I barely had time to take (or look at my) notes. 

The nursery, as feared, was closed. They are interviewing candidates for the nursery manager position and reportedly have some good candidates (I am still sore about Craig being gone). They hope to have the nursery up and running again next month (with construction of a bridge to the north garden starting!).

Damage to magnolia's (as I first mentioned) appeared overstated. The 'native' grandiflora all look great and the Mexican collection wasn't doing too bad either. The Asian magnolias may show some impaired blooming this year but they are expected to pull through.  

What happens to the oak collection is hard to say, still... some are just pushing leaves. First impressions are that oaks like the Rhysophylla and Tarahumara (the specimen is a hybrid) did fine, however, the Germana may have taken a hit and show some dieback.

But anyway, on to palms (what we're here for!). The large P. Canariensis at the entrance (see pic 1) looks fried with no green in sight. I suspect it will start pushing some green. The pindo's near the parking lot (pic 2) as well as the ones after the oak collection (pic 3) look bad, although they still have a bit of green around the crown. Time will tell. 

Fr Canar.jpg

Fr Pindo1.jpg

Fr Pindo2.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

As we'd seen from Adam's pics, the Urusana look great as does the large stand of trunking Sabals (Bermudana, Causiarum, etc..). Brahea look worse, however, they may pull through. I confirmed that the neobuxbaumia were unprotected so not sure what happened here... (on other sites they did collapse). 

Fr Uru.jpg

Fr Sabals.jpg

Fr Brah.jpg

Fr Neob.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

The mule looks like a goner and the Mazari looked worse than on Adam's pic, however, it is expected to make it. They may need to remove some trunks. The same is true for some of the saw-palms. It looks like they may make it, however, as you can see they have suffered (note that the small one that was in a naturally sheltered locale of the garden seems way less affected). 

Fr Mule.jpg

Fr Mazari.jpg

Fr Saw1.jpg

Fr Saw 2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

Needles looked great. As if nothing happened. Staff were very concerned about their collection of B. Moorei. These are slow growing and many of their larger specimens (largest I have seen in Texas) appear reduced to pulp (see pic with seemingly nothing...). T. Takil looks largely unaffected. Damage to Yucca depends largely on the species, obviously, with the large y. filifera being severely damaged. 

Fr Needle.jpg

Fr Moorei.jpg

Fr Takil.jpg

Fr Random.jpg

Fr Filifera.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
necturus

I would not have expected that much damage to the big Yuccas. That's really sad to see. Hopefully, they'll re-sprout from lower down.

I hope the Neos are okay, but big cactus have a way of not declaring their death for some time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PricklyPearSATC
32 minutes ago, necturus said:

I would not have expected that much damage to the big Yuccas. That's really sad to see. Hopefully, they'll re-sprout from lower down.

I hope the Neos are okay, but big cactus have a way of not declaring their death for some time.

my friend lost a 40 year old yucca elephantipes....(I think it's the only "tropical yucca" that exists)  They are native to Central America.   The wood on her plant split open, exposing a gooey mess all the way down to the base.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

The Neobuxbaumia should be fine, they definitely would have shown damage once it warmed up. Especially with all the recent sun. How many people showed up for the tour? It looked like a decent turnout.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte
15 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

The Neobuxbaumia should be fine, they definitely would have shown damage once it warmed up. Especially with all the recent sun. How many people showed up for the tour? It looked like a decent turnout.

I guess about 20 people. Big group!

 

1 hour ago, necturus said:

I would not have expected that much damage to the big Yuccas. That's really sad to see. Hopefully, they'll re-sprout from lower down.

Agreed. The large ones behind it in the distance looked better. It's a different kind. Faxoniana, I believe (but don't quote me on that. Didn't get a closer look). 

Edited by Swolte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
necturus

Elephantipes is weak sauce. It dies back to the ground even in the low 20s here. There's a couple other tropical species but none are cultivated here.

Large columnar cactus can take months or even years to die after a freeze.  I've read that mature saguaro looked fine after a bad freeze in Tucson and only gave up the ghost 1-2 years later. Have heard the same thing about Argentine saguaro. I also have personal experience watching a cardon slowly die over months after a bad freeze. So... we'll see. Hoping they're okay.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

I could see a huge old 30 foot Saguaro take burn to an upper area, and maybe the partial tissue/cell damage could lead to the slow death of an old cactus. I’ve owned 3 Saguaro that were 4-6 feet tall. One survived 19*F in 2018 just wrapped with a plant blanket, no damage. But I lost all 3 later in wet soil and different sudden cool fronts. The cactus were still in summer growth mode and just up and rotted. The first time I pulled the cactus and cut the rotted base/sulfured but it didn’t matter. The rot just started where I cut and continued. Completely rotten within 2-3 days. The next 2, I just chunked when I saw it start.  I won’t own a Saguaro again in Texas, the Saguaro left out at East Austin Succulents were crispy black after the storm. 

But these Neobuxbaumia aren’t showing much if any signs of damage, and the ones that toppled looked like they froze solid/were covered in ice and  the weight and wind exposure snapped them at the base. 6*F looks to be around the threshold Neobuxbaumia will survive. There’s an old one in San Marcos that has sprouted new growth where it burned in the past. From what I’ve heard it only shows minor burn on the top growth point again. There were photos posted of one left out in -1*F in Waco and the top half was obliterated .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PricklyPearSATC
8 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

I could see a huge old 30 foot Saguaro take burn to an upper area, and maybe the partial tissue/cell damage could lead to the slow death of an old cactus. I’ve owned 3 Saguaro that were 4-6 feet tall. One survived 19*F in 2018 just wrapped with a plant blanket, no damage. But I lost all 3 later in wet soil and different sudden cool fronts. The cactus were still in summer growth mode and just up and rotted. The first time I pulled the cactus and cut the rotted base/sulfured but it didn’t matter. The rot just started where I cut and continued. Completely rotten within 2-3 days. The next 2, I just chunked when I saw it start.  I won’t own a Saguaro again in Texas, the Saguaro left out at East Austin Succulents were crispy black after the storm. 

But these Neobuxbaumia aren’t showing much if any signs of damage, and the ones that toppled looked like they froze solid/were covered in ice and  the weight and wind exposure snapped them at the base. 6*F looks to be around the threshold Neobuxbaumia will survive. There’s an old one in San Marcos that has sprouted new growth where it burned in the past. From what I’ve heard it only shows minor burn on the top growth point again. There were photos posted of one left out in -1*F in Waco and the top half was obliterated .

After this freeze, I figured out that the cold/wet hardiness of Opuntia is probably due to all the pads...

(Not a cactus fan myself....ouch....have one "spineless" opuntia...it's more than enough..LOL)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z
5 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

After this freeze, I figured out that the cold/wet hardiness of Opuntia is probably due to all the pads...

(Not a cactus fan myself....ouch....have one "spineless" opuntia...it's more than enough..LOL)

Yeah it depends on the variety. Some of my opuntia were undamaged, some burned back, and some nothing is left, not even roots.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Any non-defoliated cycads?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

Not that I noticed. Most leaves were cut off already so what was left of cycads was mostly stump, even large taitungensis. 

I will say that in my own yard, of all protected (one layer cloth) cycads, Taitungensis has been the first to show clear signs of recovery. I have two shoots emerging already at banana speed.

Edited by Swolte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

Was at the gardens this morning for a bit and saw the two butia's at the entrance were showing signs of life. The P. Canariensis, as expected, was returning.
:)

PW Butias.jpg

PW Cana.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
10 minutes ago, Swolte said:

Was at the gardens this morning for a bit and saw the two butia's at the entrance were showing signs of life. The P. Canariensis, as expected, was returning.
:)

PW Butias.jpg

PW Cana.jpg

Plant sales back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

Yes, they started up again. New nursery manager: Peter Turrin. Had a very good feeling about him. Was very interested in natives in particular (not sure about palms). He has done some wild-collection himself too.

Don't go by what the website suggests they have as you may be disappointed. Its a lot less (still a cool selection, though!) but I assume they are just getting themselves e-organized again. As for palms, from what I recall, they did have a bunch of 1G C. Radicalis and B. Moorei. Let the stampede begin!! (Ugh, now I wonder if I should have picked up another Moorei as mine is still so tiny... <_<)

Anyway, I was there for other stuff so I could have missed some small sabals.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

For current selection & prices, best to email Peter at: peter AT jfgarden DOT org
(permission to share email)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
21 hours ago, Swolte said:

Yes, they started up again. New nursery manager: Peter Turrin. Had a very good feeling about him. Was very interested in natives in particular (not sure about palms). He has done some wild-collection himself too.

Don't go by what the website suggests they have as you may be disappointed. Its a lot less (still a cool selection, though!) but I assume they are just getting themselves e-organized again. As for palms, from what I recall, they did have a bunch of 1G C. Radicalis and B. Moorei. Let the stampede begin!! (Ugh, now I wonder if I should have picked up another Moorei as mine is still so tiny... <_<)

Anyway, I was there for other stuff so I could have missed some small sabals.

Seeing how bad Brahea Moorei did in the freeze here, was a surprise, or shame. Though my Dulcis is still having issues while my Brahea Armata is growing fast.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

Coming back nicely from 6*F. Garden is a little thinner than before but it will return.

F8D02AAE-28AF-4C1B-9483-F32A346C8864.jpeg

6536CEBB-7901-4E9F-B3A0-E831A4AE4D40.jpeg

D421E99A-2264-400F-81D9-57F34B81DC48.jpeg

50072FDC-D48D-4206-B836-2E548C8BAF83.jpeg

1677415B-FCF3-4951-B2D1-F1083B70C75B.jpeg

20CC2D55-53BC-456F-BCD8-0EDE2B06483F.jpeg

D0445894-9165-4282-9357-5544AA7152E9.jpeg

1E8C534B-EE11-4AB7-AF9A-E8B6653A11A4.jpeg

C2F31054-D6D3-4941-912E-880100B0AFA0.jpeg

35292502-B19E-4B47-B0B1-BD15D9493B57.jpeg

89708A90-5625-464D-8530-057FD0F2F752.jpeg

35B72DCC-10EF-42D7-A31F-EADFE1AB4443.jpeg

61604B3B-D522-49A5-865B-BD4A50C43495.jpeg

55A7E383-5C78-44AE-94A8-902F2F61E9C1.jpeg

70173A58-D9A3-4320-8BF0-0A481E42B0EF.jpeg

418F5FEE-5821-4C63-B3C5-FF3AE833452B.jpeg

8FFADD8D-8EE2-4F5E-BD44-E34D2B0D6615.jpeg

55A94722-0E96-49B5-9838-85F461EF1D0D.jpeg

B7A6A7A8-0B34-4B6D-BAAC-1E1E8868599A.jpeg

5A7FBE3A-EEB5-4CD8-8742-CEB7037BCC99.jpeg

7DE7C314-B6F9-44B2-8808-9DC31E5AE032.jpeg

2CCD1FF0-ED5D-4063-9087-2A025C454F85.jpeg

13C2C4D9-95B9-41CF-9B15-CD6B3F3A3764.jpeg

51D40ADB-D3E2-4C70-8947-A3803C0B9E9B.jpeg

D87B4812-464F-415E-A9B6-B711DDA86E87.jpeg

724170D0-FECC-466A-A3E8-C6F786C4D547.jpeg

59520869-FE31-4F4E-AF05-96E3031D5F3C.jpeg

456BFAFF-208C-4693-807A-961B3B9BB383.jpeg

9ACEE379-11A6-434A-973D-09B8737D6C4C.jpeg

E608D236-CB1D-4E28-B91C-4233E06AD218.jpeg

AA40BD3C-4DA8-4971-B9DD-ED378E00A768.jpeg

6C1E05D1-AFEB-4996-8CAD-031023351569.jpeg

038E954D-1176-4126-91BE-24141FB974D3.jpeg

ABDF5C2D-3ABF-48E9-95DD-B5ADB5982560.jpeg

A79417A6-3FCD-431F-9987-8E1A4CFDDCD2.jpeg

2E28364F-22B3-4418-B706-B7AEB61399F0.jpeg

B1B795B6-3268-446C-B6F4-0F5847E200D5.jpeg

37D42054-770E-44FD-96DD-6056BC52F3E7.jpeg

B551E249-6D03-425A-ACFE-B5EE40D03432.jpeg

7ED7C1CB-011E-4001-B7E6-65C8506C22C2.jpeg

903E611E-00C3-4E7A-89FD-0BF727280162.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen

Pretty nice comeback from those lows!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahosey01
1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

Coming back nicely from 6*F. Garden is a little thinner than before but it will return.

F8D02AAE-28AF-4C1B-9483-F32A346C8864.jpeg

6536CEBB-7901-4E9F-B3A0-E831A4AE4D40.jpeg

D421E99A-2264-400F-81D9-57F34B81DC48.jpeg

50072FDC-D48D-4206-B836-2E548C8BAF83.jpeg

1677415B-FCF3-4951-B2D1-F1083B70C75B.jpeg

20CC2D55-53BC-456F-BCD8-0EDE2B06483F.jpeg

D0445894-9165-4282-9357-5544AA7152E9.jpeg

1E8C534B-EE11-4AB7-AF9A-E8B6653A11A4.jpeg

C2F31054-D6D3-4941-912E-880100B0AFA0.jpeg

35292502-B19E-4B47-B0B1-BD15D9493B57.jpeg

89708A90-5625-464D-8530-057FD0F2F752.jpeg

35B72DCC-10EF-42D7-A31F-EADFE1AB4443.jpeg

61604B3B-D522-49A5-865B-BD4A50C43495.jpeg

55A7E383-5C78-44AE-94A8-902F2F61E9C1.jpeg

70173A58-D9A3-4320-8BF0-0A481E42B0EF.jpeg

418F5FEE-5821-4C63-B3C5-FF3AE833452B.jpeg

8FFADD8D-8EE2-4F5E-BD44-E34D2B0D6615.jpeg

55A94722-0E96-49B5-9838-85F461EF1D0D.jpeg

B7A6A7A8-0B34-4B6D-BAAC-1E1E8868599A.jpeg

5A7FBE3A-EEB5-4CD8-8742-CEB7037BCC99.jpeg

7DE7C314-B6F9-44B2-8808-9DC31E5AE032.jpeg

2CCD1FF0-ED5D-4063-9087-2A025C454F85.jpeg

13C2C4D9-95B9-41CF-9B15-CD6B3F3A3764.jpeg

51D40ADB-D3E2-4C70-8947-A3803C0B9E9B.jpeg

D87B4812-464F-415E-A9B6-B711DDA86E87.jpeg

724170D0-FECC-466A-A3E8-C6F786C4D547.jpeg

59520869-FE31-4F4E-AF05-96E3031D5F3C.jpeg

456BFAFF-208C-4693-807A-961B3B9BB383.jpeg

9ACEE379-11A6-434A-973D-09B8737D6C4C.jpeg

E608D236-CB1D-4E28-B91C-4233E06AD218.jpeg

AA40BD3C-4DA8-4971-B9DD-ED378E00A768.jpeg

6C1E05D1-AFEB-4996-8CAD-031023351569.jpeg

038E954D-1176-4126-91BE-24141FB974D3.jpeg

ABDF5C2D-3ABF-48E9-95DD-B5ADB5982560.jpeg

A79417A6-3FCD-431F-9987-8E1A4CFDDCD2.jpeg

2E28364F-22B3-4418-B706-B7AEB61399F0.jpeg

B1B795B6-3268-446C-B6F4-0F5847E200D5.jpeg

37D42054-770E-44FD-96DD-6056BC52F3E7.jpeg

B551E249-6D03-425A-ACFE-B5EE40D03432.jpeg

7ED7C1CB-011E-4001-B7E6-65C8506C22C2.jpeg

903E611E-00C3-4E7A-89FD-0BF727280162.jpeg

What is the weird green umbrella thing in a pot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z
54 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

What is the weird green umbrella thing in a pot?

amorphophallus titanum- corpse flower

0E152FB6-2A5C-4714-A777-5A9CEEADF6BE.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

Thanks for sharing those pictures! I hadn't been back there in a while so its great to see things look neat (and the bridge is finally up!). Hoping for a mild winter this year so the (sub)tropicals can recover even more. What was the state of the nursery? I know Peter is gone so there's an interim manager. I am planning a visit after this semester has come to a close. 

Edited by Swolte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z
3 hours ago, Swolte said:

Thanks for sharing those pictures! I hadn't been back there in a while so its great to see things look neat (and the bridge is finally up!). Hoping for a mild winter this year so the (sub)tropicals can recover even more. What was the state of the nursery? I know Peter is gone so there's an interim manager. I am planning a visit after this semester has come to a close. 

Craig Jackson is back handling the nursery, atleast for now. Today he sounded like it was more of a permanent thing,  previously over email it sounded like he was just helping out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

The Mule from 1996 is gone, ( so are the two at the SA Botanic garden from winters 2010/2011. Not sure what else didnt make it?. Glad to see the bridge, long overdue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...