Haddock

True hardiness of Beccariophoenix alfredii?

Haddock

Beccariophoenix alfredii aka “Madagascar high land coconut” is a interesting palm, but it’s cold hardiness hasn’t been fully tested. I heard it’s hardy to the lower 20s when it’s young but what about mature specimens, how cold can they handle?

Collectorpalms

Unfortunately I had couple nice potted ones fry in about a 27f and a frost that only last a few hours. Cold enough to know they would never work in zone 9a in southeast Texas.

I do wonder if a moderate wrapping  could get them through most winters until they get too large.

ill stay down the butia hybrid path, where they only need protecting during a 20 year event.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Fusca
2 hours ago, Haddock said:

Beccariophoenix alfredii aka “Madagascar high land coconut” is a interesting palm, but it’s cold hardiness hasn’t been fully tested. I heard it’s hardy to the lower 20s when it’s young but what about mature specimens, how cold can they handle?

I think you might have heard wrong.  It might be hardy to lower 20's when it's mature but like Ryan mentioned it's pretty wimpy as a young palm.  General consensus is that it is a zone 9b palm - there's plenty of threads regarding its hardiness or lack thereof.

Meangreen94z

The small palm I was going to give Jon(Fusca) was torched at 33*F with frost. I’m still waiting to see if it will recover. If you are in South Carolina don’t waste your money. 

JohnAndSancho

*removes b. Alfredii from online shopping cart*

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• rfielding
      By rfielding
      Hello all, 
      I'm a geographer based in South Carolina, but a Florida native, with an interest in breadfruit as a tool for food security. I'm especially interested in efforts to push the latitudinal boundaries of breadfruit, including the good work that many are doing to grow breadfruit in Florida. I'd love to hear from members of this forum on their efforts to grow breadfruit in Florida or other places where it's challenging. Feel free to reply here or email me directly at rfielding@coastal.edu. Thanks very much!
      Russell Fielding
      Coastal Carolina University 
    • GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      So theoretically palms can be grown anywhere in the world as long as there is a sufficient micro climate?
    • Anne-Tahina Metz
      By Anne-Tahina Metz
      Tahina spectabilis

Hi all !  
      I was very surprised when Kim reached me to let me know about this fundraiser ! I am so glad and happy about this initiative ! It brought me back to so many memories from the discovery.
      It was such an exciting thing to be part of ! Of course I was just a kid and didn’t measure the importance of it but now I realise how exceptional it is to have a tree named after me.
      I remember the whole thing from the picnic, to my Dad coming home one day telling us that Bruno had posted it on PalmTalk and everyone was going ballistic over it !
      I remember all the times we went to the site to see the inflorescence and how it evolved. We went to pick up the seeds and, in our garage, counted them and packed them to be shipped.
      My dad really wanted me to be as involved as I could in this discovery and I will never thank him enough for that.
      I remember Dr Dransfield’s visit, I remember seeing the excitement in his eyes when he first say the palm tree, it was like Christmas morning for him.
      If you have any question, please feel free to ask them, I will do my best to answer them  

I thank all the PalmTalk community for it’s generosity and for not forgetting about the Tahina. You guys are amazing !! 

lots of love 

Tahina Metz

see attachent a picture of me climbing a Tahina back in 2008

• Cindy Adair
      By Cindy Adair
      On PT I see all the stunning photos and descriptions of past and future travel with the International Palm Society. 
      Here’s the group of us on the unforgettable Sarawak, Borneo pre tour in 2016.

I recall times I almost did not sign up due to time, family and work constraints and costs involved.
      However every time it is only the trips I missed that I regret.
      And the friendships I have made across the world are at least as important as the sights and experiences.
      I took my first IPS trip using hoarded airline points through a country I had to find on a map (Qatar) to a place of my dreams (Thailand) in 2012, based primarily on comments by Palm Talk users I had never met.
      I am asking all of you now who have traveled anywhere on an IPS sponsored trip to post why you loved your trip(s). 
      Photos always welcome, but not required. 
    • SW_FL_Palms
      By SW_FL_Palms
      IPS has posted it's pre & post tours.   Unfortunately, the do not go to areas where you can see the Spiny Forest, Succulents,  Baobabs.  Of course, it is the palm society so they are focused on palms.
      Is there anyone out there that would like to join us on Madagascar tour that would take us to see the iconic plants that I listed above ?   A tour company will customize. and provide a quote    So let me know if you are interested, and preference for either before or after the biennial in Reunion.