IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Earliest time to plant in ground in California

ExperimentalGrower

Hey folks, generally (for your specific location) when is the earliest you plant in ground come spring in California? Is there a large variance you consider depending on the species?

Also do you measure ground temps?

thx

Edited by ExperimentalGrower

Now, No, and No !   I will install two Howeas this Saturday.   :)

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

4 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Now, No, and No !   I will install two Howeas this Saturday.   :)

Hell ya! Congrats Darold. Must be a nice feeling.

In that case, For me it sounds like it’s time to get to work, lol. 

Edited by ExperimentalGrower
  • Like 1

As I said on FB, I don't worry about this too much unless I am planting something that is going to struggle with a light frost.  

As Darold says, you're all good now - it's officially spring!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I don't have any more space to plant in. However, I'm fertilizing. 

Days in the 28C/ 82F. Nights/lows in the 14-15C range. 

Carpe diem

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Plant in spring when the soil is dry enough to evenly mix in amendments.  Loose, slightly damp soil is perfect.  Avoid planting right after rain in wet soil that forms clods of clay that stick to the shovel and can't be broken up easily.

On 3/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, GottmitAlex said:

I don't have any more space to plant in. However, I'm fertilizing. 

Days in the 28C/ 82F. Nights/lows in the 14-15C range. 

Carpe diem

Damn where are you that your hitting 82?

This winter and potentially spring has been extremely cool. Drier than usual but way below average temps overall in SoCal. For me usually I track my forward weather app and see 70s with lows of high 40s to low 50s by March not this year. Several nights hitting 36-39 on the horizon.

32 minutes ago, James B said:

This winter and potentially spring has been extremely cool. Drier than usual but way below average temps overall in SoCal. For me usually I track my forward weather app and see 70s with lows of high 40s to low 50s by March not this year. Several nights hitting 36-39 on the horizon.

They're calling for cooler weather starting tomorrow.

I guess today was the last of the warm streak.

16147394764012839034994935218031.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

For me here in the (High Desert) Hesperia zone 8b I generally start planting the beginning of April with the exception of bullet proof cold hardy's I plan on planting a few mid March.

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

For me in my SF Bay Area garden I’ve never let the time of year dictate palm planting unless it was a zone 10b zone pushing one in my 10a garden at which point, I’d wait until mid spring. I’ve planted dozens of palms in the wettest coolest time of year without any ill effects. 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

12 hours ago, James B said:

While it has warmed up during the day locally, I have to agree that this winter saw more cold nights due to the clear weather.  a little more thin cloud cover last night and it was about 5 degrees warmer for the low.  How does this all play into planting?  While like others, I don't hesitate to plant things that are not a zone push, I have learned that I have better success not introducing too many variables at the same time.  Such as buying a new plant which will have to adapt to my garden, different light exposure than where it was grown, and shock it by planting it all at the same time.  If the plant has experienced ample time in my garden acclimating, I would be more inclined to plant it now or earlier in the winter.  New plants, I prefer doing in spring or autumn, but definitely have planted mid-summer as well, just not ideal and taking on a little additional risk imo.  I prefer waiting a little longer into March given a choice.

12 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

They're calling for cooler weather starting tomorrow.

I guess today was the last of the warm streak.

Cooler daytime highs, but I suspect overnight lows won't be as low as they were when it was clear and warm during the day.... said a different way, just milder on both ends.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Hmm.

This has been a dry, and relatively warm winter.

Be careful, though. Sometimes it can get cold unexpectedly. Tender babies like Roystoneas or some of the Dypsis don't take stepping up well till the weather is reliably warm. On the other hand, bigger plants into the ground usually do much better anyway.

But, be careful.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.