ahosey01

Hottest & Driest Places in FL

ahosey01

Curious the hottest (not warmest) places in FL, and also the driest.  All available climate maps and info I can find are a.) climate classifications - tropical savannah, tropical wet & dry, etc. - or b.) USDA zone maps.  Anybody know the answer to these questions?  My thought would be somewhere far south and also inland.

mnorell

I think hottest is going to be somewhere in the everglades region, meaning inland Collier County or thereabouts (also coldest at night for its latitude). Driest is I think definitely the Lower Keys. Rainfall there is at the whim of outflow patterns from Cuba (dawn shower events, primarily in summer); and to a lesser extent the outflow from the mainland/peninsula (usually Collier County thunderstorm residue, which can sometimes provide some late-day/evening storms but usually exhausts itself over the Gulf or Florida Bay); winter fronts (providing the most dependable precipitation, winter only); and in summer, sometimes friction will build up along the island chain with the easterlies, creating a cloud-line immediately over the islands but by no means guaranteeing any precipitation. Springs are generally dry as a bone. Northern fronts are no longer able to make it down that far, tropical activity in the Caribbean Basin has not geared up and pushed north enough to affect the Keys, so it is mostly calm, and feels quite uncomfortable in June. The climate there compared to Miami is like the Desert compared to the Rainforest. Crazy, and a big surprise to most people who are not familiar with it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jimbean

I was going to say something similar to what mnorell said.  You are probably looking at interior SW Florida, like Hendry county or eastern Collier county. 

• Like 1

Xerarch

If by hottest you mean highest highs in the summer I'm not sure it's inland everglades region. Since there are few population centers it's a little hard to find data (after a relatively quick search).  I do see that Immokalee Florida has an August average high of 92.6 for the warmest month, which is pretty warm for Florida.  But the hottest summer temps I have found are in north Florida, closer to the continental landmass.  Ocala July average temp is 93.2 with a record high of 105 while Immokalee record high is 102.  The record high for the state of Florida was recorded in north Florida, Monticello registering a 109 degrees.

As far as driest I do believe Key West is the driest with only 39.83 inches/year.  Much of the rest of Florida get 50 inches a year give or take.

• Like 3

JLM
33 minutes ago, Xerarch said:

If by hottest you mean highest highs in the summer I'm not sure it's inland everglades region. Since there are few population centers it's a little hard to find data (after a relatively quick search).  I do see that Immokalee Florida has an August average high of 92.6 for the warmest month, which is pretty warm for Florida.  But the hottest summer temps I have found are in north Florida, closer to the continental landmass.  Ocala July average temp is 93.2 with a record high of 105 while Immokalee record high is 102.  The record high for the state of Florida was recorded in north Florida, Monticello registering a 109 degrees.

As far as driest I do believe Key West is the driest with only 39.83 inches/year.  Much of the rest of Florida get 50 inches a year give or take.

The Tallahassee area in general has seen the most extremes temperature wise in Florida. Monticello being just northeast of Tallahassee recording the record highest temperature recorded in the state, and Tallahassee recording -2F in 1899. That is a 111F temperature difference between lowest and highest.

ahosey01
54 minutes ago, JLM said:

The Tallahassee area in general has seen the most extremes temperature wise in Florida. Monticello being just northeast of Tallahassee recording the record highest temperature recorded in the state, and Tallahassee recording -2F in 1899. That is a 111F temperature difference between lowest and highest.

Maybe the question isn't specifically around which place has recorded the highest all time temperatures, but instead which place consistently records the highest average summer temperatures.

That's probably the more proper phrasing.

Sabal_Louisiana

The driest uninhabited spot in Florida is the Dry Tortugas, west of the Keys, but it's not on the mainland. It gets about 37 inches of rain a year.

It is called 'dry' because it lacks fresh water; this is unrelated to the lack of rainfall but rather to its absence of ponds or streams since it is reef-based.

While it may not have the highest mean temperature in Florida, it has the least contrast in temperature seasonally.

Even so, a cold wave in the winter of 1977 devastated its branching coral, an event from which it has not fully recovered.

• Like 3

bubba

Warm water temperature in winter is ironically north of the Tortugas’s and Key’s as the Florida Current and it’s warmth come much closer to the northern Key’s and south Florida mainland. The furthest eastern point of Florida is located on the northern side of the Palm Beach Inlet and many times the “Stream” is less than a mile off the coast. Plenty of great coral reefs not affected by cold fronts. Many times the winter water temperature is substantially warmer here than the Key’s.

• Like 1

bubba

I know I have hijacked this topic and I apologize in advance for my actions. That stated, I have done additional research that sheds further light on the issue of the Gulf Stream, Florida Current and their concomitant affect on water temperature in the ocean during winter in the Key’s, Dry Tortuga’s and  south Florida coast.

Specifically, the scientific journal oceancurrents.rmas.miami.edu states:

“The Florida Current transports warmer waters northward from the Florida Straits into the Gulf Stream. The Florida Current is the ribbon of warmest waters near 80• degrees W. longitude. The meandering of the Florida Current is constrained by the topography between South Florida and the Bahama Bank.”

Interestingly, the furthest eastern point in the state of Florida is located to the north of the Palm Beach Inlet at 80.037 W. Longitude. Notwithstanding various sites on the Internet stating that the Gulf Stream/ Florida Current is closest to the Florida coast near the south tip of Florida, the  northern side of the Palm Beach Inlet is the furthest eastern point and closest to the constant year round 80 degree plus water temperature of the Florida Current.

For perspective, it is interesting to note that our beaches in the north end of Palm Beach suffered for many years from tar that was created by numerous shipping vessels making entry into the Port of Palm Beach through the Palm Beach Inlet. As these ships waited their turn to be allowed entry into the port, they would reverse their engines while remaining on the furthest western end of the Florida Current. These ships were so close you could nearly swim to them and touch them.

This practice was terminated in the mid-1970s by Mayor, ET Smith, who imposed large fines on vessels reversing their engines. After the fines, the ships stopped and the tar left. ET Smith was also Ambassador to Cuba during Cuba’s fall to Castro.

The bottom line of this exercise is to demonstrate just how close the warm waters of the Florida Current act upon the Florida coast at this longitude. Once again, neither Key West, the Dry Tortuga’s or the southern tip of Florida can claim warmer winter waters when compared to the Florida coast closest to 80° west longitude.

That stated, should you disagree with me, you may well be correct...

Edited by bubba
Deficient dictation system

ruskinPalms

It’s a tough question. The sea breeze fronts set up inland from the coasts in peninsular Florida and then it is a battle between east and west sea breezes to see who gets the rain in the summer. It is hotter in general inland from the coasts and drier closer to the coasts. I remember seeing rain maps for Florida years ago but I can’t find them now. Maybe a better internet searcher than me can find a rain map. 

Edited by ruskinPalms

Aceraceae

Okaloosa and adjacent counties are both among the hottest in the summer but also the coldest in the Winter...but also the most rain is Fort Walton Beach and Crestview in Okaloosa County. Crestview likely went just as far if not farther below 0 as the state record locations (Tallahassee, defuniak springs, Monticello), but the records don't go to the late 1800s cold snaps there. Even just among urban south Florida its surprising the rainfall variation between Miami fort Lauderdale and Miami Beach specifically. Monsoon, rainforest, Savanna, wet and dry. 

I didn't think the driest place would be anywhere inland, including the inland south and glades where it can be surprisingly cold but humid and foggy at night down to homestead, unless heat refers to heat index of the hottest place when including humidity.

By saying hottest not warmest I actually thought this would refer to northern Florida not the year round milder more tropical Southern parts.  But on the kicker was the dryer part Which might then lead to central areas from Orlando and East of Tampa down to Clewiston, Which maintain the 90s summer average highs of Northern Florida. 

Edited by Aceraceae
  • Upvote 1

ruskinPalms

image.jpeg.4e9547ab18b6e1be69c4572f460749f2.jpeg
well. If this map is right, I’d vote for areas around lake Okeechobee being the hottest and driest part of the state. 

• Upvote 1

bubba

Amazing to think that Lake O is one of the driest places in Florida! It seems that every thunderstorm emanates directly from Lake O.

palmsOrl

I have seen precipitation maps that show Lake Okeechobee 

On 3/22/2021 at 8:37 PM, ruskinPalms said:

image.jpeg.4e9547ab18b6e1be69c4572f460749f2.jpeg
well. If this map is right, I’d vote for areas around lake Okeechobee being the hottest and driest part of the state. 

So if the narrow band of land near Fort Lauderdale to about Jupiter is Tropical Rainforest climate, what excludes those areas of NW Florida with even higher precipitation from being subtropical rainforest?  Due to the less evapotranspiration due to being further from the equator, NW Florida should actually need less precipitation to qualify.  Maybe it is due to the relative dryness of the summers.

• Like 1

Xerarch
14 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

what excludes those areas of NW Florida with even higher precipitation from being subtropical rainforest?  Due to the less evapotranspiration due to being further from the equator, NW Florida should actually need less precipitation to qualify.  Maybe it is due to the relative dryness of the summers.

Not sure how to answer that except that under Koppen climate classification system there is no classification for subtropical rainforest, it's all just humid subtropical.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

palmsOrl

That makes sense.  Is there a designation for temperate rainforest?

Xerarch

Nope, and the rainforests of the Pacific Northwest like Vancouver Island etc are listed as Oceanic Climate. 

mnorell
On 3/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, bubba said:

Amazing to think that Lake O is one of the driest places in Florida! It seems that every thunderstorm emanates directly from Lake O.

I find it hard to believe as well. Plus there are no mountains to stop the inflow of moisture from the easterlies so it seems odd it could dry out so quickly from east to west. And I have been caught time after time coming down the turnpike in the Orlando-Ft. Pierce stretch in some of the most horrific deluges I have ever experienced in my life. Everybody at an absolute crawl or standstill and like you are underwater. It has happened to me so often that I now almost just expect it. I just can hardly believe that corridor would be one of the drier areas of Florida. I wonder if this map isn't full of interpolation based on what may amount to a paucity of weather stations in some areas, hence a large skew in the wrong direction. However I do agree with the map in that the whole Niceville area in the western panhandle is the wettest, and in fact almost the wettest area in the lower 48. How many thunderstorms have I sat out at the I-10 rest areas around Defuniak Springs? A lot!

• Like 1

bubba

I  have also experienced the same thing that you described on the Turnpike too many times to count. Together with unbelievably wicked lightning so close that I touched. Even felt a little whorly when lightning hit the car ( safest place to be in a thunderstorm?). Hair on my arms stood up!

Not certain how they calibrate rainfall in the middle of the Lake! Too many heavy thunderstorms roll off the Gulf and certainly dump on the Lake! I agree that this map is suspect.

One point of interest that I learned from two (2) separate Greenskeepers of golf courses, who kept rain gauges, one located in western PB County and the other on the ocean, 15 miles due east. The western golf course recorded 106 inches the same year as the ocean course recorded 37 inches. This is actually quite normal in this area as the sea breeze fights the advancing thunderstorms off the Lake.

• Upvote 1