IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, Brahea salvadorensis

Josue Diaz

I think i finally spotted a Brahea salvadorensis, in quasi-habitat. Growing in a pine-oak forest region at about 700m above sea level in El Salvador. I'll be trying to see if i can get a better look, but the long inflos off to the left side tell me this is indeed brahea... Notice the drooping oriole's nest hanging from one of the inflorescens.

20210227_163545.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Cool. What part of El Salvador? I know a few places there...

This was at a hostel in San Rafael Cedros. It's within a cultivated space, but surrounded by native forest and well within the range for this species. I'll try to get a better look next time i drive past. 

• Like 1

Josue, I have seen a Brahea species growing on the dry side of mountains in the Sierra De Las Minas region in Guatemala. This is a very unique habitat. The vegetation can change drastically within just a kilometer . 

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

On 2/27/2021 at 9:50 PM, Josue Diaz said:

I think i finally spotted a Brahea salvadorensis, in quasi-habitat. Growing in a pine-oak forest region at about 700m above sea level in El Salvador. I'll be trying to see if i can get a better look, but the long inflos off to the left side tell me this is indeed brahea... Notice the drooping oriole's nest hanging from one of the inflorescens.

20210227_163545.jpg

I have read that this palm species is a mangrove associate.  Have you also seen it closer to the coast?

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 10:35 PM, Frond-friend42 said:

Here's a chinensis for comparison. I agree that might be what it is.

20191010_164923.jpg

Yes, i agree. After a closer look i think it's Livistona. 

On 2/28/2021 at 4:40 PM, topwater said:

I assume you have seeds .  End of discussion and let them grow. ✌️❤️

Still on the hunt! Haha

On 3/1/2021 at 3:18 PM, Really full garden said:

Josue, I have seen a Brahea species growing on the dry side of mountains in the Sierra De Las Minas region in Guatemala. This is a very unique habitat. The vegetation can change drastically within just a kilometer . 

I've been to that area, it's incredibly beautiful!

On 3/1/2021 at 4:15 PM, Austinpalm said:

I have read that this palm species is a mangrove associate.  Have you also seen it closer to the coast?

Yes, I've read that too. MARN (the Salvadoran equivalent to the EPA) lists it in habitat with bactris species in two mangrove areas (Jiquilisco and Barra de Santiago). I was in mangrove forest in Jiquilisco but didn't see any palms, and didn't venture too much into the mangroves. Since losing their grip on the country, groups of gangs have apparently moved into the mangroves to live away from the watchful eye of law enforcement.