IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Very Thick trunked coconut

Mr.SamuraiSword

Saw this coconut in Fort myers, trunk was thicker then the nearby royals,  have never seen one with such a wide trunk

20210222_115127.thumb.jpg.58c90861fffa99b16e704d5b1badf2e0.jpg

20210222_115149_HDR.jpg

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

I have never seen a coconut like that must be a hybrid. Is there a better shot of the coconuts because maybe someone could identify what it could be hybridized with.

Edited by climate change virginia

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

I can see the coconut fruit on the palm.

I don't think it's hybridized with any non-coco nucifera.

One of my cocos has droopy leaves as well. Almost Kentia-looking.

16144743844621727137634332622583.jpg

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 2/27/2021 at 11:08 PM, JASON M said:

Not far at the Naples Botanical Garden3293910B-7C4D-4041-B923-549E23885AAE.thumb.jpeg.5c8bfe5dda5340c7cd7f73d30e11293b.jpeg

I wonder if they’re related!

Wow. How odd??

1 hour ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Wow. How odd??

It’s almost got some Beccariophoenix type trunk characteristics.

it almost looks like a ravenea rivularis, but you can't cross that with a coconut can you?

Pretty sure it’s just a regular coconut, I keep waiting for someone more knowledgeable than myself to chime in and say what variety it is with that fat trunk and short fronds. No Inter-species hybridization going on here, but I do wonder what variety it is. 

• Like 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

The Naples botanical garden one looks like Fiji Dwarf. The trunk on the one in the original post looks Fiji dwarf too, but the leaves don't look right. Could be a hybrid (Fiji x Malayan or something)

• Like 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

On 3/1/2021 at 11:51 AM, tacobender said:

Maybe it is climate, all my cocos have huge trunks. Several different types in yard.

Doubt it, every other coconut I saw in Fort Myers had the usual thinner trunk

On 2/27/2021 at 4:02 PM, climate change virginia said:

I have never seen a coconut like that must be a hybrid. Is there a better shot of the coconuts because maybe someone could identify what it could be hybridized with.

People have tried to hybridize Cocos nucifera with palms in related genera. To my knowledge and despite suspect claims of success no intergeneric coconut hybrids exist. DNA tests that could prove they do have not been done and replicated. That's a pure coconut.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 3/1/2021 at 12:33 PM, Ivanos1982 said:

it almost looks like a ravenea rivularis, but you can't cross that with a coconut can you?

No.

Meg

Florida

My late Dwarf Red Spicata Coconut had a base ~30" in diameter, the fattest I'd ever seen on a Cocos.

1779520051_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspicata056-16-15.thumb.JPG.73f15e61dfb54f61f4f37dc86c90b004.JPG

• Like 3

Meg

Florida

Lots of water makes thick trunks in many palms.  The difference in a well watered royal can be 2x in trunk thickness when compared to the city landscape ones.  There may be a sprinkler head or irrigation leak nearby or it could be a water collection point.  Also taller palms tend to thin a bit in the trunk.  Those royals are taller than mine by 5-10', but the trunks are notably thinner.  

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Lots of water makes thick trunks in many palms.  The difference in a well watered royal can be 2x in trunk thickness when compared to the city landscape ones.  There may be a sprinkler head or irrigation leak nearby or it could be a water collection point.  Also taller palms tend to thin a bit in the trunk.  Those royals are taller than mine by 5-10', but the trunks are notably thinner.  

It got irrigation 2x per week and lots of rain in summer.

Meg

Florida

I can't tell the diameter of that coco from the pic. Not sure what normal is but my coconut has only 4 ft of clear trunk and the base is about 15 inches. 

20210308_123345.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 11:08 PM, JASON M said:

Not far at the Naples Botanical Garden3293910B-7C4D-4041-B923-549E23885AAE.thumb.jpeg.5c8bfe5dda5340c7cd7f73d30e11293b.jpeg

I wonder if they’re related!

Looks like a Fiji Dwarf

• Like 1

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

It's most likely a Fiji hybrid. I have one that is a beast, with a very fat trunk and a huge canopy.

IMG_9465.jpeg

IMG_9639.jpeg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I can't tell the diameter of that coco from the pic. Not sure what normal is but my coconut has only 4 ft of clear trunk and the base is about 15 inches. 

20210308_123345.jpg

WOW, those nuts PJ, and in Orlando!!!

John

• Like 2

I have seen photos of some varieties of Coconut Palms that have HUGE bases of the trunks.  I can't remember where the photos were taken, or what variety they are, but the bole at the base was MASSIVE in the photos, significantly more so than most varieties with the big swollen boles at the base!

John

8 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I have seen photos of some varieties of Coconut Palms that have HUGE bases of the trunks.  I can't remember where the photos were taken, or what variety they are, but the bole at the base was MASSIVE in the photos, significantly more so than most varieties with the big swollen boles at the base!

John

Same here. However, the ones I have seen have the bole regular sized, however, since they are so close to the ocean and have their roots exposed, the "trunk"  make them seem much wider than they really are. 

Example:

Screenshot_20210308-231805_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210308-231725_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 1:16 AM, GottmitAlex said:

Same here. However, the ones I have seen have the bole regular sized, however, since they are so close to the ocean and have their roots exposed, the "trunk"  make them seem much wider than they really are. 

Example:

Screenshot_20210308-231805_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210308-231725_Chrome.jpg

I have actually seen photos of bigger boles at the base than those in the above photos.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, paquicuba said:

IMG_9639.jpeg

Please don't fall on the lovely Aroids, coconuts! :blink::D

• Like 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: