Jump to content
Collectorpalms

Palm Collection Before and After The Great Texas Freeze of 5F in 2021

Recommended Posts

Collectorpalms

Brahea Armata coming back after trunk cut. There is still rot in there, so it’s still getting peroxide. Also the Amaryllis must have survived under the snow and are blooming.

F4AD0921-6294-4245-945D-47C56E096EB1.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Tall Livistonia Chineses coming back too. The only one so far....

AD15899D-2A42-475A-9CAC-BDDF098FABCE.jpeg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Lost all my trunks on my Everglades palm, but plenty of new trunks coming back. (I already cut down the dead trunks.) the top right green sprout is actually a Canary .

5F958B61-95CF-402D-8DEB-2B31C93C8DD9.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Large Green Mediterranean coming back after trunk cut. So far Only 1 out of 4 tall ones over 5Ft doing anything. It is even flowering but I cut those off.

DE8584A8-A87A-4527-995B-2B9F779BB4E1.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Sabal Palmetto, forgive the xmas lights. 
Will take the Xmas lights down tomorrow if I can reach those spent fronds. 

E8805616-997B-4317-8E9E-CBFF824341A1.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Silver Mediterranean Palm palm. This one is a single trunk about 6Ft tall. 

A80F1792-F2B2-49B2-A021-55B6EC9C5895.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Brahea Pimo after trunk cut from two weeks ago. One of the most tender Braheas.

F9A6C19F-BBB9-4923-950F-83B7BFAE1583.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Brahea Clara after trunk cut from 2 weeks ago. I thought this was a goner too...

70A40CBF-E905-4B18-A435-7D59B407AD60.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Brahea Dulcis after trunk cut a week ago. It Initially looked good, but went down hill. Still fighting fungus.

53CDEA0A-F748-4CAF-BCE4-BFDDB8CC3CAD.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

A trunk cut Mule in center. It was about 12Ft of trunk. No movement on it. Yes, the bottom of the trunk looks gory. It oozed and sap came out when it thawed. The twisty turny tree to the lower  right is a Loquot. I pruned the dead. The rest has buds. The other is a twisty turn pine, lol. 

BA8BD24F-0818-427B-BFAF-CDA82477D1C7.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwitt

Glad you have "some" amazing surprises! It does not make up for your losses. But the knowledge and experience gained will be useful, but hopefully not needed in your future.

 

I thank you for all your posting thru this event. We all gain from it! I hope you have more "good" outcomes.  At the end of the day,  rest becomes easier with your gained knowledge.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen
6 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Two of my rather thin Washingtonia sp. have been resurrected! After official low of 5F. One was trying to grow out of the shadow of my Southern Live Oak, and to the left Phoenix Sylvestris.

Sorry weeding and mowing come later, first aid was most important.

A55B2328-8350-4728-9716-6E85241BCF37.jpeg

Congrats on the palms living!  I wouldn't think the robusta or the canary would live.  Maybe I can plant My little robusta one day and eek it thru a few winters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fusca
2 hours ago, Allen said:

Congrats on the palms living!  I wouldn't think the robusta or the canary would live.  Maybe I can plant My little robusta one day and eek it thru a few winters.

Size matters with surviving the cold.  You'll definitely need the lights/heat cables for awhile.  I had a 1-gal filifera that perished at 20° in 2018.  My filibusta hybrid (filifera dominant) has roughly 1/3 the trunk size of Ryan's and it has not yet come back if it does at all.  Mine only suffered through 9° as the ultimate low.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NBTX11
1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Size matters with surviving the cold.  You'll definitely need the lights/heat cables for awhile.  I had a 1-gal filifera that perished at 20° in 2018.  My filibusta hybrid (filifera dominant) has roughly 1/3 the trunk size of Ryan's and it has not yet come back if it does at all.  Mine only suffered through 9° as the ultimate low.

My smaller Filfera (7 or 8 foot tall) came back like crazy...it already almost looks as if nothing happened.  It has already almost generated a full crown.  It has put out many healthy green fronds, like probably 6 or 7 since freeze.  They are perfectly healthy also.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UK_Palms

Wow, lots of stuff coming back and showing signs of life. It's good to see the CIDP, Chamaerops and Washies pushing new growth. Be patient with some of these. Is there any signs of movement on the big Sylvestris? Has the Filifera started pushing new growth as well? At least it means less work now when it does come to removing the actual dead stuff. I reckon a few more will kick into growth between now and then too. All of the Chamaerops should be alive still and come back, even if they reshoot from ground level.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PricklyPearSATC
16 hours ago, Allen said:

Congrats on the palms living!  I wouldn't think the robusta or the canary would live.  Maybe I can plant My little robusta one day and eek it thru a few winters.

If they're cheap and abundant near you, go for it. 
I doubt it will survive more than a few winters.  You could create a structure, but unlike the structures for trachys up north, it would have to come on and off during cold spells.   Washies need warm air and sunshine 360.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Butia “Pablo” making a Recovery. Located along Brazos River, Around 3 degrees. Notice on March 18 the petioles were green, and by today they browned. But we got growth and no spear pull. Same thing happened to my smaller Jxb F1, but the spear was fried.

442FCD57-5B0F-42AA-958A-B27E5EDA1FCA.jpeg

3E4B06BC-847F-4CF6-AF68-04838FEBFEA2.jpeg

D32C1B04-85B1-4E6E-9B46-D6156514E322.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PricklyPearSATC
5 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Butia “Pablo” making a Recovery. Located along Brazos River, Around 3 degrees. Notice on March 18 the petioles were green, and by today they browned. But we got growth and no spear pull. Same thing happened to my smaller Jxb F1, but the spear was fried.

442FCD57-5B0F-42AA-958A-B27E5EDA1FCA.jpeg

3E4B06BC-847F-4CF6-AF68-04838FEBFEA2.jpeg

D32C1B04-85B1-4E6E-9B46-D6156514E322.jpeg

It's weird how foliage gets more damaged over time.  My silly cast iron plants handled the freeze like champs..two months later, they're turning orangish-yellow...(Same with my MIL's)They have never turned "yellow" on me in large amts.  If anything they get sunburnt and bleached and their tips turn brown.  These are turning yellow...

This whole thing is just weird, weird, weird...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iamjv

Good to see a lot of recovery happening in your garden !!!!    I hope the losses are to a minimum !    At present, it appears that I'll have about an 80+% survival rate, if there is no late stage fungal issues, etc.    Holding out hope, like you, on the mule hybrid !

Keep us up today...  all the best !

Jv

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Update,
One very tall Filibusta is alive on property line. All others nothing.

One more Mediterranean with 7 ft of clear trunk was/is alive. I had trunk cut it a few weeks ago and nothing. I cut again and I ended up cutting some developing white fronds, had I waited another week I would have seen something come out. Oops, I didn’t cut too far thankfully cross fingers. Should know it a few days.

A second small Livistonia Chineses has survived after a trunk cut.

I trunk cut another Mediterranean, I think it’s still mush inside. Will hit it with peroxide today.

i cut back a lot more on a previously nice bxs and my jb x s. condition questionable. 

Arenga Micrantha is alive.

Lady palm coming back from underground stems. 

Phoenix Reclinata coming back from base. 
 

White and orange bird of paradise coming back. 


Palmegranite  coming back from base.

tropical dwarf oleander coming back from roots. 

Mexican Olive Coming back from Base.

Almost 1/2 of my Cycads are flushing leaves 
 

work remains in progress.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UK_Palms

@Collectorpalms So still no movement at all on the big Sylvestris then? I thought that would probably push out some green by now, given that the smaller CIDP's have...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
12 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

@Collectorpalms So still no movement at all on the big Sylvestris then? I thought that would probably push out some green by now, given that the smaller CIDP's have...

City is wanting to double the width of the sidewalks. Therefore, regardless if it lives, it is planned for removal along with my live oak, and everyone’s street trees. My Large Canary is going to removed too.

i am really devastated. They want to replace everything with a grass zone. Makes zero common sense.
 

Just found out this week, I obviously complained and I was ignored. That is this city for you. Someone sitting in an office making plans that doesn’t have any idea how it impacts homeowners.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

:wacko: WTH?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
6 minutes ago, Swolte said:

:wacko: WTH?! 

They want to remove live oak street trees with a grass zone??? Really??? Who does that on a busy residential street.

the truth is they just didn’t budget for landscaping. So grass was the solution.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Wow. its Almost time for the After After pictures!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
On 4/5/2021 at 11:50 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Two of my rather thin Washingtonia sp. have been resurrected! After official low of 5F. One was trying to grow out of the shadow of my Southern Live Oak, and to the left Phoenix Sylvestris.

Sorry weeding and mowing come later, first aid was most important.

A55B2328-8350-4728-9716-6E85241BCF37.jpeg

UPDATE: 2022

Both of these Washingtonians ( sold as Filifera from Home Depot) and never defoliated from a previous 14.5 died later last summer. The Sylvestris in the back tried to come back but also died. Another slimmer date you can barely see, also died, no recovery.  Lesson, Never plant Filifera in this type of clay and have them sun blocked from the south by a live oak. They wont get fat trunked.

I have no real explanation why they died, they did both filled out canopy. The one on the left starting leaning and died, then the other that looks like it is leaning did the same thing a couple months later.  It was if the trunk could not support the weight of the leaves. So I rekon major damage from the length of freeze hours.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
On 4/5/2021 at 11:57 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Brahea Armata coming back after trunk cut. There is still rot in there, so it’s still getting peroxide. Also the Amaryllis must have survived under the snow and are blooming.

F4AD0921-6294-4245-945D-47C56E096EB1.jpeg

UPDATE: It made a near full recovery then suddenly got crown rot and died.
 

Here is the full flowerbed before ( posted many times lol), just after freeze ( sadly ) and here is as of April 2022  ( major work on progress). The Washingtonia Hybrid died and the largest Washingtonia Filifera died too. 

2AB52DA4-F7FC-46FD-B167-4F702C885F11.jpeg

863E4BC6-267E-4913-A17E-D3FFCAB9071F.jpeg

5E017DBE-CC9A-4688-944B-3B368E8F5B03.jpeg

B9A0B5D1-8A5A-412A-849F-6530C0D72AF1.jpeg
 

Eventually when Laura Bush Petunia ends a Yucca Rostrata is going in a pot there on top of the old Filifera.

Big leaf Sabal Minor, new trailing Rosemary, hybrid palm new, wandering Jew returned, Amaryllis ( returned) , and Red Texas Yuccas on slope all new. 

D0C0EAC3-F8E5-4BD0-A2D5-E58672A01F3D.jpeg

3095FE43-11CF-4ECA-9CF4-F24CCE6F1EF7.jpeg

85C4C537-4A00-40D4-AD77-9BF6CEAAB897.jpeg

7133D3C7-DD65-4292-9655-2B605804D1F8.jpeg

186D62A0-B089-42DE-85C6-82905D413363.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
On 4/5/2021 at 12:05 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Large Green Mediterranean coming back after trunk cut. So far Only 1 out of 4 tall ones over 5Ft doing anything. It is even flowering but I cut those off.

DE8584A8-A87A-4527-995B-2B9F779BB4E1.jpeg


UPDATE 2022: Of 4 Single Mediterranean Single trunks of 5ft height, 2 lived this one came back normal after slight trunk cut.

SPRING 2022

FC377F2F-54F6-4C14-9A7D-5B1BF80C058C.png
 

Additional under plantings nearby. TX mountain Laurel, Mexican Feather grass and Pineapple Guava… so far. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
On 4/5/2021 at 12:01 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Lost all my trunks on my Everglades palm, but plenty of new trunks coming back. (I already cut down the dead trunks.) the top right green sprout is actually a Canary .

5F958B61-95CF-402D-8DEB-2B31C93C8DD9.jpeg


UPDATE MAY 2022

Back with vengeance! That Canary Sprout in there no way to get it out. A Washingtonia snuck in there too, on left of original picture.

7D868044-8F3B-4D12-A9F7-8E45253B3325.jpeg

399CBA1F-363D-42A3-9DA7-2365CA1BF6A3.jpeg

68305495-D845-48DD-BFC1-6041E36C654E.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
On 4/5/2021 at 12:16 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Brahea Dulcis after trunk cut a week ago. It Initially looked good, but went down hill. Still fighting fungus.

53CDEA0A-F748-4CAF-BCE4-BFDDB8CC3CAD.jpeg

UPDATE 2022

Brahea Dulcis is back!

9BEBA036-0884-4F41-9138-53530FAB616C.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen

Looks like a lot of interesting stuff is still going

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
On 4/5/2021 at 12:14 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Brahea Clara after trunk cut from 2 weeks ago. I thought this was a goner too...

70A40CBF-E905-4B18-A435-7D59B407AD60.jpeg

UPDATE 2022

Brahea “Clara” IS Back too!

 

2ECE471E-E4FD-4DF5-B7F7-6E2F098F6EF5.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
On 4/5/2021 at 12:13 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Brahea Pimo after trunk cut from two weeks ago. One of the most tender Braheas.

F9A6C19F-BBB9-4923-950F-83B7BFAE1583.jpeg

UPDATE 2022

Brahea Pimo is back. I beat it up though oops. 

E12A07DA-1F0B-4ABE-BBC1-E5C48CC1EEFE.jpeg

E024F743-0F5A-4D58-BB22-67E48175E704.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
On 4/5/2021 at 12:11 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Silver Mediterranean Palm palm. This one is a single trunk about 6Ft tall. 

A80F1792-F2B2-49B2-A021-55B6EC9C5895.jpeg

UPDATE 2022.

Single trunk Silver Med did very well. She is Currently being root pruned for sidewalk removal, so it’s a bit thin. Clumping ones fine under Escarpment Live Oak.

8173D28B-5A5A-4B79-A016-C72E70F8A1BE.jpeg

B5B10C33-6E07-4FDB-BFF5-AC3301AF05BC.jpeg

7D3EB5F3-87C8-443B-92B2-B276C18F207A.jpeg

3762A6E6-59BF-4D4B-A504-7D8A3B97870F.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

UPDATE 2022

Previously Unmentioned…

Brahea Aculeata is BACK.

 

9C084819-66E9-4BD6-8977-A1386F32B5AB.jpeg

98ABE386-C07C-41E1-96DD-95B7DF0112CE.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

You get the drill…

Phoenix Reclinata back TWICE.

First 4F, then March 18 2022. Chainsaw Gang removed trunks without asking. 

5876AB19-B288-4CB1-B7FF-90915E95C4CB.jpeg

1018329A-E7BB-43B4-82AA-E56718D95434.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Huntington Gardens California Hybrid offspring.

 

Likely (BxS)x(BxJ) As they are next to each other. Most Closely Resembles my coveted Patrick Jubaea x Syagrus. 
 

Major Trunk Cut. Also, Trunk damage on north side. 
 

0871DC91-9179-454C-B8DE-A2F8E3A31540.jpeg

E00A54DE-BE13-4D83-B2DF-DFF7E612920B.jpeg

12BC2AD3-4153-4EA1-A458-A90A33C7C3A1.jpeg

EED59E46-043F-455D-94B3-87DE7C221220.jpeg

08B0F99B-3955-4612-A77C-E7FD52DC4BA8.jpeg

577A9FA1-AC9A-448B-A6DB-0C26CF486BCE.jpeg

7A4432EE-9B4E-4912-A519-5AF0CEEF7334.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

Crazy that Phoenix reclinata came back. Glad to see all the Brahea came back, that’s a lot of what I plan on going with .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
On 5/19/2022 at 10:42 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Huntington Gardens California Hybrid offspring.

 

Likely (BxS)x(BxJ) As they are next to each other. Most Closely Resembles my coveted Patrick Jubaea x Syagrus. 
 

Major Trunk Cut. Also, Trunk damage on north side. 
 

0871DC91-9179-454C-B8DE-A2F8E3A31540.jpeg

E00A54DE-BE13-4D83-B2DF-DFF7E612920B.jpeg

12BC2AD3-4153-4EA1-A458-A90A33C7C3A1.jpeg

EED59E46-043F-455D-94B3-87DE7C221220.jpeg

08B0F99B-3955-4612-A77C-E7FD52DC4BA8.jpeg

577A9FA1-AC9A-448B-A6DB-0C26CF486BCE.jpeg

7A4432EE-9B4E-4912-A519-5AF0CEEF7334.jpeg

After seeing the following thread, time to start root pruning it since its has no space on property line  and is in shade.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...