Sign in to follow this  
PalmatierMeg

Seeding Zamia sp/hyb ID

PalmatierMeg

Can anyone confirm the ID of the seeding Zamia in the photos below? Could it be Z. loddigesii x pumila? Something else?

1056492370_ZamiaID0102-26-21.thumb.JPG.a08bbea774ba6cd160ad2a59c25c48f9.JPG1323575696_ZamiaID0202-26-21.thumb.JPG.3cebfe484697f1bd117aa02d1037c068.JPG1409340510_ZamiaID0302-26-21.thumb.JPG.6e6bd33c205f6084e1473c9038dc66e5.JPG1431657081_ZamiaID0402-26-21.thumb.JPG.f1405ff56443582110f7e8d44c3f6550.JPG

Tracy
23 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Can anyone confirm the ID of the seeding Zamia in the photos below? Could it be Z. loddigesii x pumila? Something else?

Meg, those serrated edges to the leaves leads me to believe there is something else in the cross.  If I were to pick one of the two species you mentioned as a starting point, I would opt for Z loddigesii  over the pumilla.  The serrated leaves could come from crossing it with something like Z spartea or Z standlyi.  I like the look whatever the combo is and hope maybe someone else that also has this cross from same seed batch may provide you with more insight.

Merlyn

There's a "long pointy leaf" form of Z. Furfuracea too, which could be part of the mix.  I have a similar-looking Zamia I got from ChuckG, but unfortunately it got completely defoliated at my two heavy frosts at 28F and 30F.  I'm sure it'll sprout out this spring, but I don't have any good photos for comparison.  Chuck thought it was a Furfuracea/Loddigesii mix. 

PalmatierMeg

Thanks for the info. I have several species/hybrid of Zamia. I'll germinate them and offer the seedlings later this year. My Zamia variegata Heavy Yellow is seeding and those offspring should be choice.

PalmatierMeg
2 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

There's a "long pointy leaf" form of Z. Furfuracea too, which could be part of the mix.  I have a similar-looking Zamia I got from ChuckG, but unfortunately it got completely defoliated at my two heavy frosts at 28F and 30F.  I'm sure it'll sprout out this spring, but I don't have any good photos for comparison.  Chuck thought it was a Furfuracea/Loddigesii mix. 

I think I bought the mother plant in a pot of seedlings labeled "Zamia hybrid" at a Palm Beach Sale. I was growing them up to sell but ended up keeping them. Zamias are my favorite cycad here in FL because they tend tropical and don't mind the swelter.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have been growing this unknown Chamaedorea for a number of years. It is a clumper with long, skinny stems and I suspect it belongs to a species of "bamboo palm" Chamaedoreas. My problem is I have trouble differentiating between species of bamboo palms. This little darling is a female and this year is loaded with green seeds. Right next to it is a (male?) hybrid Cham named after the late Dick Douglas, which I featured in another topic. Closely related Chamaedoreas sometimes hybridize but more distantly related species won't.
      Can someone tell me what species my clustering palm is? And also tell me whether it might be possible that my Douglas hybrid is male and might be the pollinator of my mystery palm's seeds?
      Mystery Chamaedorea with seeds

• K2HI
      By K2HI
      Can anyone ID this palm?  It is growing very well near Pacifica, California. My daughter and son in law just bought a house nearby and would love to plant one. I’ve informed them that if this is a date palm (what species/cultivar?) that this is probably a very old tree. I would like to get a positive ID on this as I think it is a magnificent, absolutely gorgeous palm!  I wish we could grow date palms here as we love dates, and date palms are really beautiful, but our collection of palms is growing fast. Mahalo nui loa for your help!

• Mauro
      By Mauro
      Hi, I picked up these two edules about a month ago, they were growing in a dilapidated greenhouse, getting "some" direct sun
      I put them in full spring sun at home and pondered where to plant them. The larger one's leaves got sun bleached, while the smaller one did not object at all and seems to be loving full direct sun that has gotten hotter over the days (location eastern mediterranean, sun hot, air dry)
      Which got me thinking if they are different varieties or are the same with different traits/attributes individually.
      I think the smaller one is Palma sola, while I am not sure about the larger one 
      ID's would be appreciated, thanks, as well as any advice on sun tolerance of these vars 

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I have been doing battle with a perennial that keeps coming back despite my best efforts to extract it.  It appears to be a bulb that keeps pushing out new leaves every year for several years now.  I try to extract it, but have never gotten down far enough to the source bulb or roots.  The reason is that it popped up adjacent to a prized plant that I don't want to damage.  That plant is an Encephalartos inopinus, so I've been reluctant to dig too deep.  This spring, I've let it get much bigger than normal before trying to remove it, and thought I would see what the flowers look like.  I removed the flowers so they don't go to seed in my garden to add more digging, but brought them into the house in a small container so my wife could appreciate them.  The flowers are very fragrant.
      Anyone recognize this plant and flowers?  The strap leafed plant next to my E inopinus along with flower photos, and perspective on the plant I don't want it to invade (E inopinus).

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      Not AI as in Artificial Intelligence, but Artificial Insemination.  Daddy is about 15 miles away as the crow flies as this occurs, so it would never happen even if we did have the pollinators here in Southern California.  Encephalartos horridus x woodii receiving pollen from a E horridus x woodii.  Wet or dry?  What do you do?