• Similar Content

• K2HI
      By K2HI
      Can anyone ID this palm?  It is growing very well near Pacifica, California. My daughter and son in law just bought a house nearby and would love to plant one. I’ve informed them that if this is a date palm (what species/cultivar?) that this is probably a very old tree. I would like to get a positive ID on this as I think it is a magnificent, absolutely gorgeous palm!  I wish we could grow date palms here as we love dates, and date palms are really beautiful, but our collection of palms is growing fast. Mahalo nui loa for your help!

• Mauro
      By Mauro
      Hi, I picked up these two edules about a month ago, they were growing in a dilapidated greenhouse, getting "some" direct sun
      I put them in full spring sun at home and pondered where to plant them. The larger one's leaves got sun bleached, while the smaller one did not object at all and seems to be loving full direct sun that has gotten hotter over the days (location eastern mediterranean, sun hot, air dry)
      Which got me thinking if they are different varieties or are the same with different traits/attributes individually.
      I think the smaller one is Palma sola, while I am not sure about the larger one 
      ID's would be appreciated, thanks, as well as any advice on sun tolerance of these vars 

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I have been doing battle with a perennial that keeps coming back despite my best efforts to extract it.  It appears to be a bulb that keeps pushing out new leaves every year for several years now.  I try to extract it, but have never gotten down far enough to the source bulb or roots.  The reason is that it popped up adjacent to a prized plant that I don't want to damage.  That plant is an Encephalartos inopinus, so I've been reluctant to dig too deep.  This spring, I've let it get much bigger than normal before trying to remove it, and thought I would see what the flowers look like.  I removed the flowers so they don't go to seed in my garden to add more digging, but brought them into the house in a small container so my wife could appreciate them.  The flowers are very fragrant.
      Anyone recognize this plant and flowers?  The strap leafed plant next to my E inopinus along with flower photos, and perspective on the plant I don't want it to invade (E inopinus).

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      Not AI as in Artificial Intelligence, but Artificial Insemination.  Daddy is about 15 miles away as the crow flies as this occurs, so it would never happen even if we did have the pollinators here in Southern California.  Encephalartos horridus x woodii receiving pollen from a E horridus x woodii.  Wet or dry?  What do you do?

• KsLouisiana
      By KsLouisiana
      So last weekend we did a trip to Avery Island, La to the jungle gardens tour at the tabasco factory.  It was really cool. We saw some amazing sabals and sabal minors everywhere! We also saw some really nice cycads that I have not seen in Louisiana before. Could y'all possibly identify the cycad? We also saw a HUGE Chinese fan palm. Was wondering if anyone else has been there before. Also just letting y'all know it's a great place for a weekend trip :)