Sign in to follow this  
PalmatierMeg

Seeding Zamia sp/hyb ID

PalmatierMeg

Can anyone confirm the ID of the seeding Zamia in the photos below? Could it be Z. loddigesii x pumila? Something else?

1056492370_ZamiaID0102-26-21.thumb.JPG.a08bbea774ba6cd160ad2a59c25c48f9.JPG1323575696_ZamiaID0202-26-21.thumb.JPG.3cebfe484697f1bd117aa02d1037c068.JPG1409340510_ZamiaID0302-26-21.thumb.JPG.6e6bd33c205f6084e1473c9038dc66e5.JPG1431657081_ZamiaID0402-26-21.thumb.JPG.f1405ff56443582110f7e8d44c3f6550.JPG

Tracy
23 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Can anyone confirm the ID of the seeding Zamia in the photos below? Could it be Z. loddigesii x pumila? Something else?

Meg, those serrated edges to the leaves leads me to believe there is something else in the cross.  If I were to pick one of the two species you mentioned as a starting point, I would opt for Z loddigesii  over the pumilla.  The serrated leaves could come from crossing it with something like Z spartea or Z standlyi.  I like the look whatever the combo is and hope maybe someone else that also has this cross from same seed batch may provide you with more insight.

Merlyn

There's a "long pointy leaf" form of Z. Furfuracea too, which could be part of the mix.  I have a similar-looking Zamia I got from ChuckG, but unfortunately it got completely defoliated at my two heavy frosts at 28F and 30F.  I'm sure it'll sprout out this spring, but I don't have any good photos for comparison.  Chuck thought it was a Furfuracea/Loddigesii mix. 

PalmatierMeg

Thanks for the info. I have several species/hybrid of Zamia. I'll germinate them and offer the seedlings later this year. My Zamia variegata Heavy Yellow is seeding and those offspring should be choice.

PalmatierMeg
2 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

There's a "long pointy leaf" form of Z. Furfuracea too, which could be part of the mix.  I have a similar-looking Zamia I got from ChuckG, but unfortunately it got completely defoliated at my two heavy frosts at 28F and 30F.  I'm sure it'll sprout out this spring, but I don't have any good photos for comparison.  Chuck thought it was a Furfuracea/Loddigesii mix. 

I think I bought the mother plant in a pot of seedlings labeled "Zamia hybrid" at a Palm Beach Sale. I was growing them up to sell but ended up keeping them. Zamias are my favorite cycad here in FL because they tend tropical and don't mind the swelter.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• newtopalmsMD
      By newtopalmsMD
      In may of 2019 I planted what I purchased as a Trachycarpus Nainital.  It's in the foreground (left side) of the first picture (taken Oct 2019) while a T Fortunei, which was smaller and had been in the ground for 2 summers and 3 winters is in the background to the right.   In the second picture, taken today, the T fortunei has gotten much taller than the Trachy in the foreground.   The trachy in the foreground has put out several new fronds each summer but has gained very little height/trunk.  The third picture is a pic of the hostula of the Trachy in the foreground, which is asymmetric (The pointed hump is off center, but the hostula is not twisted).  [The hostula on the fortunei has no pointed hump, just a nice smooth semi-circle.]  What little trunk there is, is fibrous like the fortunei.   Also you can see that, this summer, the hastsa leaves have gotten very close to the trunk  (The nearest hasta stalk is about 14 inches from the Trachy trunk. ) 
      So questions:
      Is there enough information to tell if the Trachy in the foreground a Nainital (or some other variant)?  Is it likely that the closeness of the hostas has slowed the growth of this Trachy?  In two summers, how far out are the roots of this Trachy likely to have grown?  I was going to move the closest hastas, but thought I'd wait till spring so as not to disturb the Trachy roots before winter.  Is there a source that identifies trachy's (or other palms) by the hostula?
      Thanks
      Pat

• ximena_alvarez
      By ximena_alvarez
      Hi all!

I’m in search of any footage of anything cycad related for a documentary over cycads. Would love to have anything you might have, especially of any plants in situ, their beauty, anatomy, etc.
      All locations and identifying attributes will be censored for the plants’ protection. Give me a quick DM if you’re able to help out. Let me know if you have any questions and I’d be happy to answer.

Thanks in advance!
    • Tracy
      By Tracy
      I received this cutting from a member of the Palm Society a few years back after a garden tour along with two other Araceae.  I never wrote down the identification and noticed it is popping out some sort of inflorescence or spadix.  I'm hoping that someone will recognize it and can advise what the genus and species is.

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I posted photos of these four seedlings a couple months but I'm still not sure what I have. I got seeds of these palms from Australia back in 2019 and the seller IDed them as "Ptychosperma unknown species" with large leaves and large seeds. When I say "large seeds" I do it with Ptychospermas in mind. I can't remember exactly what the seeds looked like except they were elongated and approx. 3/4" to 1" long and 1/3" to 1/2" wide. One PTer suggested they might be Veitchias. My seeds source seemed knowledgable enough to tell the difference between Ptychospermas and Veitchias, but who can say if he was? I took photos of the largest palm. Notice it has black speckling and a lot of tomentum but is that a shared trait of Ptychos and Veitchias? Seedlings are robust and fast growing. They sailed through my winter carefree and without protection.
      Ptychosperma or Veitchia?

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Today we stopped at our local deli for lunch. As we were leaving I noticed two large Phoenix palms on each side of the driveway. One was loaded with seeds while the other, a male, was not. The fruits were still green and were 1" long x 1/2" wide. The seeds are 3/4" x 3/8". The Phoenix genus is not my favorite but these two palms were spectacular beneath the sunlit sky. They have been cared for and pruned judiciously and were perfect. I saw no other Phoenix palms nearby. My question is: Can anyone tell me what hybrids these two palms could be (almost all Phoenix in FL are hybrids)? Is anyone interested in seeds when they ripen? If the offspring take after the parents they should turn out to be awesome palms. I hope everyone agrees. I took the following photos:
      Phoenix species/hybrid
      Fruit and seeds

Male palm

Seeding Female palm